Define The Word Photograph,

astral

These days many photographs are digital, but some officials have not caught up with the modern world.

The photo I use for visa applications is the same as the one on my company id badge, and was taken with a digital camera.

I print them off on photo paper on my colour printer.

The paper has a special coating for photos, but is NOT glossy as many shop photos are.

The Indian embassy in Bangkok tried to tell me this was not a real photo!!

My local immigration officer in Sri Racha looked at it with doubt, but the the more experienced officer told her, "No, that is quite alright, as long as it is a good likeness."

Have you had any similar experiences?

Another example of TIT

If you read the regulations, it specifically says that digital

photos are not accepted. I doubt it has anything to do with

fading as it is that digital information can be modified

easily. But so what ? All the officer has to do is look at you

and then the photo to verify it is accurate.

Like any other interaction with an official, they may choose

to enforce or not enforce at will.

Note that across the street at SuanPhlu Immigration in BKK,

there are numerous shops ready to give you 4 photos for

100B so you can complete your applications. You are in and

out in 10 minutes or less. And they all use digital cameras.

:o

These days many photographs are digital, but some officials have not caught up with the modern world.

The photo I use for visa applications is the same as the one on my company id badge, and was taken with a digital camera.

I print them off on photo paper on my colour printer.

The paper has a special coating for photos, but is NOT glossy as many shop photos are.

My local immigration officer in Sri Racha looked at it with doubt, but the the more experienced officer told her, "No, that is quite alright, as long as it is a good likeness."

Have you had any similar experiences?

I always buy fotos from a foto shawp so i never have a problem getting visas to Cooba or other countries eye go

Another example of TIT

photos are not accepted. I doubt it has anything to do with

fading as it is that digital information can be modified

easily. But so what ? All the officer has to do is look at you

and then the photo to verify it is accurate.

Like any other interaction with an official, they may choose

to enforce or not enforce at will.

Note that across the street at SuanPhlu Immigration in BKK,

there are numerous shops ready to give you 4 photos for

100B so you can complete your applications. You are in and

out in 10 minutes or less. And they all use digital cameras.

I won't argue with you but I will say that I just got a new passport in BKK and the fotos were digital.

No worries and no bullsh1t.

And as for fading thats a new one too.

Just renewed my passport (US) and photos were digital, taken by passport office.

All photos eventually fade. A few years ago, inks (not the paper) used for photos in inkjet/laser printers faded more rapidly than processed "film" photos, if exposed to a continuous light source.

Most printer manufacturers now use improved inks, so for all practical purposes, printed photos will last as long as "film" photos under similar environmental conditions (light, humidity, etc.).

As most travel document are not continuously exposed to light and usually expire within 10 years, digital vs. film should not be an issue.

A few years back, I used to get pissed off paying 100Baht, or whatever it was at the time, to get 4 passport-sized photos. I asked the photographer for the negative. The first 2 said NO. One even threw it in the bin. I eventually got my negative, a good photo of myself with a jacket, shirt and tie. I have been using this negative since, paying 4/5 Baht for each photo. Only one time, last year when I applied for a new WP. They(my company) said I looked older than the photo, and needed a new one. Funny thing was - the new one I got was digital and the guy touched it up, with out my asking, and I looked very different.

Anyone notice how Thailand?Bangkok residents age quickly? For me, I put it down to the daily Sang Thip, of which I have long since had enough.

In Sydney all passport photographs are now taken digitally you can't tell the difference any way these days. I have a digital camera so I take my own and print of a page of them on A4 photo paper so I never run out.

Bigmike.

I always pass by in Robinson on Sukh 19 BKK. They take digital and give you the measurements you want, or 4 large and 4 smaller. Baht 150 I think.

Never had problems in immigration for extension of re-entry.

Driving licence was a different story, I cut from passport size to licence size and the complain was "too big". Guess he wanted to say my face was too big for the small picture. Made some others, Baht 70 for 4.

Define "photograph" ?

Photo = light. Graph = picture/drawing.

So, once printed, a digitally produced image is just as much a photgraph as one made from a silver halide film.

I have seen "no digital photo allowed" in some embassy somewhere, but can't remember specifically where.

If you have a good quatilty digital print on good quality photo grade paper, I don't see how they can tell the difference - unless they use a strong magnifying glass.

Just an out of date rule being clung to because no-one bothers to review its relevance.

As other posts have said, most ID type photos are now digitally generated.

I really had to laugh at this one as it would seem the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. Just take a look at a recently issued Thai passport and tell me what kind of photograph you see. DIGITAL! :o

It's true, it's in the visa rules somewhere, "no digital photos". These days most shops offering passport photos use a digital camera so it's off course bull but, heh, TIT.

A piece of A4 will allow for at least 32, probably more, visa sized photos @ a cost of max 20 baht, ink included. The same 32 pictures would cost you a neat 800 bt if you had to have them made 100bt/4 in a shop.

780 bth buys a nice bottle of Jack. I think I'll take that :o

Just renewed my passport (US) and photos were digital, taken by passport office.

Now that is good point.

Thai passports are also produced from digital photos taken at the Passport office.

The Indian bureaucracy can make Thailand look like the model of efficiency. :o

I second that statement.

I am in Mumbai at the moment and Thailand is a well organised, clean society with no slums, by comparison

photos are not accepted.

Please give an exact reference for this statement.

Go to Soi 8 Pattaya and ask for the list of requirements for one year visa extensions - it's on that list.

photos are not accepted.

Please give an exact reference for this statement.

Go to Soi 8 Pattaya and ask for the list of requirements for one year visa extensions - it's on that list.

Agreed - I saw it there a month ago.

My photo was digitally taken, printed on photo grade paper (stiff and glossy) and no one commented. But they refused me a one-year marriage extension 'cos my bank was empty. (Wife built a house with it)