Secondhand Boat

Im looking to buy a smal boat. Nothing advansed, im not an experienced boatperson, i just want a little boat to go to nearby beaches and maybe go fiching a little bit. Where is the best place to go? I dont necessary mean the cheapest place (even if i like cheap!) but since i have pretty much zero experience i boats i need a serious dealer that dont sell crap to me and dont rip me off. Ive been to the one near the bophut lights already, but i did not get a very good impression, and they didnt have much of a selection when it comes to smal, cheap boats. Is there a really good second hand dealer on the island or do i have to go to the mainland? And is it possible to find an ok little boat with a 25hp engine for a round 100k, or what kind of money do i have to put up? Thankful for advise. :o

"At 100,000 baht for a blow up dinghy with an 18hp ehgine I would imagine its still for sale. Thats a serious amount of money for a step up from a rowing boat. 18hp, I can swim faster!"

really ?

Just joking

I have some experience in boats and would be happy to look and advise.  Free.  However, you get what you pay for (if you are lucky)

post-48537-1188822669_thumb.jpg

"At 100,000 baht for a blow up dinghy with an 18hp ehgine I would imagine its still for sale. Thats a serious amount of money for a step up from a rowing boat. 18hp, I can swim faster!"

really ?

Just joking

I have some experience in boats and would be happy to look and advise.  Free.  However, you get what you pay for (if you are lucky)

Where did ya get ya lush speedos from? :o

really ?

Just joking

I have some experience in boats and would be happy to look and advise. Free. However, you get what you pay for (if you are lucky)

Thanks, that would be appreciated. However first i need a advise on where to look, hahaha. I dont want a blow up boat. I want like a rowingboat in fiber or maybe plastic but with a smal engine. Maybe around 25 hp. Speed is really no issue, its just gonna be a relaxing hobby to go around to nearby small islands and beaches and catch some sun. Only in very calm weather!! But im happy for any help i get. Nice pic by the way!

really ?

Just joking

I have some experience in boats and would be happy to look and advise. Free. However, you get what you pay for (if you are lucky)

Thanks, that would be appreciated. However first i need a advise on where to look, hahaha. I dont want a blow up boat. I want like a rowingboat in fiber or maybe plastic but with a smal engine. Maybe around 25 hp. Speed is really no issue, its just gonna be a relaxing hobby to go around to nearby small islands and beaches and catch some sun. Only in very calm weather!! But im happy for any help i get. Nice pic by the way!

If you wanna go to to other islands you will need something slightly bigger. You'll need more fuel and also the safety aspect needs to be considered.

really ?

Just joking

It's illegal to blow up anything else than fireworks. :o

It's a little odd the reaction to inflatable RIB boats. These are not toys at all; they can cost upwards of 3 million baht and easily go 50 - 60 mph.

There is nothing wrong with RIB's, many coastguards and customs use them around the world, the bigger ones are often very sea worthy and fast.

Perhaps not perfect for fishing tho..........

Hammerhead Marine on Bangrak beach, a little way up from the Had Rin Queen pier sold me a lovely little rib, they might have something second hand. I just use it for going round from bay to bay, and it's ideal.

Thanks, gonna check it out. What kind of boat did you buy and how much did you pay for it?

It's a little odd the reaction to inflatable RIB boats. These are not toys at all; they can cost upwards of 3 million baht and easily go 50 - 60 mph.

There is nothing wrong with RIB's, many coastguards and customs use them around the world, the bigger ones are often very sea worthy and fast.

Are you talking about the gaff or the chance of catching one of these? :o

acrobatic_sword.jpg

acrobatic_sword.jpg

Yeah, + knives and hooks really arn't the best mixture on a small RIB. Bigger ones are stronger, but the small ones can be punctured more easily!

acrobatic_sword.jpg

Yeah, + knives and hooks really arn't the best mixture on a small RIB. Bigger ones are stronger, but the small ones can be punctured more easily!

MMMMM not sure id want this dude piercing my baby 10ft english rib,mind you i dont reckon hed be hanging out in portland harbour either,with the bass and bream!

The OP mentioned a 100,000 baht boat; be careful. Frankly I'd rather be in a brand new RIB with a new engine than a rotted wooden boat floundering off the coast burning up from the explosion. It is true that sailors have been killed by swordfish punturing the hull of their vessels, but far more frequent are sailors killed on poorly maintained and unseaworthy vessels. Recently I test drove a 300,000 baht boat and it was scary.

The OP mentioned a 100,000 baht boat; be careful. Frankly I'd rather be in a brand new RIB with a new engine than a rotted wooden boat floundering off the coast burning up from the explosion. It is true that sailors have been killed by swordfish punturing the hull of their vessels, but far more frequent are sailors killed on poorly maintained and unseaworthy vessels. Recently I test drove a 300,000 baht boat and it was scary.

Interresting point. I had my mind maybe more on plastic and fiber than wood or rib. But how about seconhand fiber, how do i check if that is "maintained" or worn out? One guy told me that im supposed to press my tumd in it and feel if its "soft"? When it comes to engines im a motorman myself so that i can make work good, no problems there, fixed many poor engines in my days. But the boat is a bit more tricky, my biggest fear is that they "make up" wholes cosmeticly instead of properly as i red in another post, i would probably be the costumer that didnt see that!! Thats why i want to know of a good serious dealer.

It's a Marlin. :o

Actually womble, I got the photo off bigmarinefish.com where they stated it was a swordfish. Unlikely to catch one off Samui but my husband did catch one a few years ago when we had a really strong La Nina. I think the thing got lost myself.

Anyway, if you are interested in looking for secondhand boats and don't mind to travel (and can read thai), thaisecondhand.com has a huge boat section.

Actually womble, I got the photo off bigmarinefish.com where they stated it was a swordfish. Unlikely to catch one off Samui but my husband did catch one a few years ago when we had a really strong La Nina. I think the thing got lost myself.

Anyway, if you are interested in looking for secondhand boats and don't mind to travel (and can read thai), thaisecondhand.com has a huge boat section.

Thanks, dont read thai but my wife can help me. Gonna check it. :o

Fair enough, I assumed it must be marlin as the bill looks a bit short for a sword + the pic is in daylight and 90% of swords are caught after dark.

We don't have swordfish here, water is too shallow, they like really deep ocean water.

what fish is that Jai Dam, barracuta?