Sending Money Abroad

stuthailand

I just got back from my branch of SCB. I needed to send money to the US, which is the money left in a friends bank account, after he died. I am sending it back to his family.

I have never had any trouble sending money abroad before. UK, Philippines, never a problem.

However - today, I am told that they need my work permit. Sods law dictates, that I recently quit work to take some rest and travel around the country, so I handed my WP in.

Is this a new law? Does anyone know anything about it?

I just got back from my branch of SCB. I needed to send money to the US, which is the money left in a friends bank account, after he died. I am sending it back to his family.

I have never had any trouble sending money abroad before. UK, Philippines, never a problem.

However - today, I am told that they need my work permit. Sods law dictates, that I recently quit work to take some rest and travel around the country, so I handed my WP in.

So like B.S. to me.

Ask to speak to the branch manager, tell them what you want to do, and tell them you'll just withdraw the whole amount and send it via Western Union if they're so stupid that they don't want to earn the wire transfer fee.

Edited by expatwannabe

If this is the case, I would like to know what would happen to someone who owns a house (through a company) and he sells the house because he wants to go back to his own country. Does this mean that he could not send the money back if he doesn't have a work permit?

Can you ask for a Cashier's Check in USD? Or buy some high denomination travellers' cheques? Those you fill out completely and sign twice, then send them by EMS with insurance and a deposit slip for the bak in the U.S. (There are special rules for wires, but myaybe you can get the money and need not wire it)

I've never had a problem with the SCB transferring money overseas, and have never been asked for a work permit either. It depends a lot on who you are dealing with and the actual branch. I moved from the Bangkok Bank some years ago because my branch suddenly decided to stop processing overseas cheques. The SCB does it regurlarly for me and doesn't charge the earth...

I've never had a problem with the SCB transferring money overseas, and have never been asked for a work permit either. It depends a lot on who you are dealing with and the actual branch. I moved from the Bangkok Bank some years ago because my branch suddenly decided to stop processing overseas cheques. The SCB does it regurlarly for me and doesn't charge the earth...

Thanks for this info. It sounds like SCB is the bank to use. :o