Sukhumvit 38, Sukhumvit 55

Soto

I am coming to Bangkok for 1 month in November, and I am looking for an apartment or serviced apartment (must have internet) for that month. I am interested in this neighbourhood, as I am taking classes at Fiftyfifth Plaza, Sukhumvit 55 (Soi Thonglor). I found this serviced apartment http://www.38mansion.com/, 38 mansion and it suits my requirements, however...

Has anyone stayed here before? How is the building? and How far, realistically, is it from the BTS?

Does anyone have any other reccomendations for that neighbourhood? How is the neighbourhood?

Thank You very much for your time, I appreciate it.

I've not stayed there, but it looks like it'd be a 5 min. motorcycle taxi ride or about a 15-20 minute walk to Thonglor BTS. In the neighbourhood, I HAVE stayed in Boss Tower, which I would have no trouble recommending. Nice bldg., not luxurious but good prices and it's very secure and well managed. The pool is nice. It's right on Rama IV almost at the foot of Soi 36. Motos at the 7/11 take you directly to Thonglor BTS. Lots of good street food in the area, and Carrefour and Tesco are close by. How much are you set to pay at 38Mansion?

I've not stayed there, but it looks like it'd be a 5 min. motorcycle taxi ride or about a 15-20 minute walk to Thonglor BTS. In the neighbourhood, I HAVE stayed in Boss Tower, which I would have no trouble recommending. Nice bldg., not luxurious but good prices and it's very secure and well managed. The pool is nice. It's right on Rama IV almost at the foot of Soi 36. Motos at the 7/11 take you directly to Thonglor BTS. Lots of good street food in the area, and Carrefour and Tesco are close by. How much are you set to pay at 38Mansion?

I think it was 19 000 baht. (studio) I thought that sounded good for with service, and ASDL. Im thinking I should get a hotel in the area for a night and take a look around before I commit to anything. I will check out the Boss Tower for sure.

of course I am open to more suggestions. :o I am definately looking to pay as little as possible, but of course I want some amenities that cost more.

I am coming to Bangkok for 1 month in November, and I am looking for an apartment or serviced apartment (must have internet) for that month. I am interested in this neighbourhood, as I am taking classes at Fiftyfifth Plaza, Sukhumvit 55 (Soi Thonglor). I found this serviced apartment http://www.38mansion.com/, 38 mansion and it suits my requirements, however...

Has anyone stayed here before? How is the building? and How far, realistically, is it from the BTS?

Does anyone have any other reccomendations for that neighbourhood? How is the neighbourhood?

It's on Rama IV, same as Boss Tower. Avoid both. Not too far from everything, just annoyingly far, which is even worse.

Both are on 24x7 heavy traffic.

Has nothing to do with Thong Lor, on the simplified map it looks like same area but it is not.

See more around real Thong Lor.

Also, you may want to try this place, google it, it's full of students and teachers and has ADSL for 600B per month.

KTA Mansion 14/1 Soi Barbos 2, Sukhumvit Soi 42, Tel : 712-3400 6000 baht onwards

A secluded building near Soi 42, Ekkamai is the nearest station 10 mins walk (Thong lor is the next stop).

The BOSS is in a crummy, industrial area.

Yes, Tesco and Carafour are nearby if that's what you like.

It's about 1.5km far and probably the only attraction in the area (yes, Lotus Tesco as an attraction!).

As I said, BOSS is there, but just annoyingly not right there. With weekly shopping bags, one can hardly walk that distance.

If you have to catch a taxi/bus/moto it does not matter if the distance is 1.5 or 5.5 km.

Thank you all for your time - I truly appreciate it.

I have now emailed KV mansion, VIP Mansion and Golden House for some more info. PPhouse and KTA Mansion I will have to call. Is the "On Nut" location desirable? It doesnt seem too far. We are from a Big city, and are used to taking the subway everywhere.

I have now emailed KV mansion, VIP Mansion and Golden House for some more info. PPhouse and KTA Mansion I will have to call. Is the "On Nut" location desirable? It doesnt seem too far. We are from a Big city, and are used to taking the subway everywhere.

I'm afraid you will have to call KTA. At that, they speak little English. I don't know how you can arrange accommodation without coming in person. All rooms are identical, just orientation (facing a wall, sun all day...etc).

On Nut is third (terminal) stop from Thong Lor, 5 minutes, handy. Not bad, anything on BTS is fine. And it has Lotus and Carefour.

I've stayed at Boss Tower and I've viewed 38 mansion.

Boss Tower isn't so bad, but the road is very busy and polluted and the building is infested with cockroaches. You won't get much of a kitchen.

38 mansion was OK room-wise (I saw the 2 bedroom), but it is quite hidden away in the soi - anyhow, yes a 5 min motobike ride will get you to the bts.

Boss Tower is NOT 1.5 km from Carrefour and Tesco. More like 5 min. walk, maybe 300 metres.

There WERE some cockroaches as is common in older buildings, but they came in to spray as soon as we asked and we had no further problems.

The building is very secure and the staff were friendly and accommodating. Also, when it came time for the deposit refund, they were scrupulously correct.

I didn't mind the traffic out front - we didn't hear it so much on an upper floor, and it meant there was always a taxi available. The sois nearby - the nearest going west, I don't know its name or number, and soi 36 to the east had very good street food and evening atmosphere. The evening market and mini-mall surrounding Carrefour were both interesting and convenient for various shopping needs.

With a motorcycle taxi we were 10 min. away from Thonglor BTS station - five min. to walk to the 7/11 at soi 36 and 5 min. on the bike. With a taxi, we were 10 min. (via soi 26) from Phrom Pong BTS, Emporium, Villa Market etc.

:D I used to stay at a guest house on Soi 38 which is now unfortuneately closed. I know the area well but but not the place you are planning to stay.

The Sukhumvit road Soi 38 stop is Soi Thonglor on the BTS. Someone said you have to cross Sukhumvit road, but you don't as there is an overpass there, and you have access to both sides of the road from the BTS.Just pick the side of the road you want when you descend from the BTS. Soi 38 used to be a very quiet Soi, once you were past the Sukhumvit road junction. The Queen's sister used to live there so the security was good with police taking care not to let anyone bother the Queen's sister. If you play tennis there is (well at least there was) a public tennis court as you went down Soi 38, the first road to your right took you to the tennis court. I'm not sure if the tennis court is still open.

There used to be very good food stalls/carts at the enterance to Soi 38 where you could get a cheap Thai meal. Quite a few Thais used to come there at night for the food, and it was very busy.

The walk down Soi 38 is only about 5/10 minutes from the Soi Thonglor BTS stop.

If the guest house hadn't closed I would recommend that pace to you. You could have negotiated a monthly deal, which probably got you a less than $30 a day room. Not fancy, but the best American breakfast meals you could get in Thailand (or at least Bangkok) with Home fried potatoes, fried ham, scrambled eggs with melted cheese and fried onions, pork sausages (patty style), and so on....but I'm afraid that's all gone now. No internet access in rooms but they let you use shared internet downstairs free of chatge.

There are 7-11 stores on both sides of Sukhumvit road within a few meters of both sides of Soi 38.

I would definately recommend the area. Couple of good Chinese food/seafood shops across from Soi 38 (on the Soi 55 side) and less than one block down Sukhumvit. At one point a lot of people working for UNESCO (near by on Sukhumvit, couple of blocks down) stayed on Soi 38.

:o

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Thank You all for your recommendations. I am continuing to contact apartments in the neighbourhood. I found one, Jhiriat Mansion?? That looked promising, but it is fully booked.

I will leave a post when I find a place.. thank you for your time

• 2 years later...
Thank You all for your recommendations. I am continuing to contact apartments in the neighborhood. I found one, Jhiriat Mansion?? That looked promising, but it is fully booked.

ANY UPDATES for VIP MANSION ???

Mon 28 Dec 09, 1:55 pm

Hi All,

It has been nearly two years since this thread re VIP Mansion was active. Thought I would see if anyone has an update, http://www.vipmansion.com . As it happens, like the OP, I am also taking a class at 55th Plaza (Suk 55, Thonglor 2), and looking for a reasonably priced serviced apartment with BTS access. From it's website, the VIP Mansion looks OK, and staff (Manger?) Suradej has been more than responsive and helpful via e-mail, with excellent English which always make things easier. When I casually asked about Indian restaurants in the neighborhood, he said, none, but could be delivered daily! Not that I need that, but what a great attitude!

Also, WiFi (maybe LAN, not sure), which may or may not be adequate for what I need, but we will see. Also a fitness room, which saves looking for a gym and buying a membership or paying day rates just so I can ride a stationery bike 30 for 30 min, which is all I do.

Unfortunately, I can't find any reviews for this place on the internet. The website looks fine, but who can tell from that, and what is the neighborhood like? GoogleMap make it look like a 5 min. motorbike ride to BTS, but Bangkok maps can be very misleading until you know what you are looking at.

Anywho, thought I would check to see if anyone has any recent news.

Thanks, lah!

Aloha,

Rex

VIP is not that close to the BTS, closer to srinakarin, petchburi than Sukhumvit. However, from 55 there is a short cut past Ekamai to 71. In other words, take a bike direct to 55 from VIP.

On a bike I would guess VIP is 10 mins to BTS.

Edited by bkkjames

On Nut is okay and has many condo's within 300-400 meters of BTS.  You might try:   http://www.sarannuch.com 

Thank You all for your recommendations. I am continuing to contact apartments in the neighborhood. I found one, Jhiriat Mansion?? That looked promising, but it is fully booked.

Hi All,

It has been nearly two years since this thread re VIP Mansion was active. Thought I would see if anyone has an update, http://www.vipmansion.com . As it happens, like the OP, I am also taking a class at 55th Plaza (Suk 55, Thonglor 2), and looking for a reasonably priced serviced apartment with BTS access. From it's website, the VIP Mansion looks OK, and staff (Manger?) Suradej has been more than responsive and helpful via e-mail, with excellent English which always make things easier. When I casually asked about Indian restaurants in the neighborhood, he said, none, but could be delivered daily! Not that I need that, but what a great attitude!

Also, WiFi (maybe LAN, not sure), which may or may not be adequate for what I need, but we will see. Also a fitness room, which saves looking for a gym and buying a membership or paying day rates just so I can ride a stationery bike 30 for 30 min, which is all I do.

Unfortunately, I can't find any reviews for this place on the internet. The website looks fine, but who can tell from that, and what is the neighborhood like? GoogleMap make it look like a 5 min. motorbike ride to BTS, but Bangkok maps can be very misleading until you know what you are looking at.

Thanks, lah!

Aloha,

Rex

what makes you think VIP is in the same neighbourhood as Thong Lor?

It is in no neighbourhood at all, somewhere in the no-man's land between Khlong Tan and Phrakhanong.

(Off course, it is nowhere near Srinakarin, as another poster mentioned.)

A decent helicopter will bring you to Thong Lor in a couple of minutes, a motocycle taxi depending on traffic in about 20 minutes - unfortunately, there are neither helicopters nor motocycle taxis on Pidi 21.

A taxi to Thong Lor takes between 10 minutes (at 3:30 a.m. on a holiday) and 1 hour (during rush hours), reckon 30-40 minutes.

There is no Indian restaurant nearby, there is no good restaurant at all nearby. The only nearby restaurant is of such quality that in 5 years I have eaten there just 2 times . The girls dont eat there at all.

There is a farang hang-out on Pidi 21, these guys look like people who for some reason didnt quite make it to Pattaya.

There is a mosque opposite Pidi 21 with fancy green lighting, a convenience store which closes inconveniently early, there are 2 gas stations nearby, a broken phone booth, the GUTS security school, and a SCIB ATM which is sometimes out of order. The Indian shop on the baksoi closed, and the trash can opposite the restaurant is gone.

Traffic jam on Soi 71 starts about 11 am and ends about 11 pm. You will always find a taxi.

40 B to BTS Phrakhanong.

Rooms in VIP are clean but small and expensive for the small size.

You wont hear the muezzin even you can see the mosque, dont know if you consider this an advantage or disadvantage.

VIP would be a good choice as a hide-away where you can meet your secret lover, you dont run the risk to bump into your wife or any acquaintance in this area.

Edited by uhuh

There's P.P. House which is close to Thonglor. I don't know if it has wireless. It's 12,000 Per month for a studio (38 Sqm). The phone number is 02 392 89978. There's also a place called VIP mansion in that area which is reasnoble.

Both of those are on 71.

For long stay I heard Boss tower sucks. Serviced might be a different story. Agree it's in the middle of nowhere.

VIP Mansion is miles away from any BTS. There is a side soi you can take to Ekkamai & Thong Lor. Pain in the ass.

If I were you I would get a place on Thonglor so you can use a song taow or equiv.

Edited by powderpuff

There are two apartment complex located close to the Thonglo BTS. One is called SK Mansion, which is located directly on Sukhumvit between Sukhumvit 38 and 40. Monthly rent runs from 7000 baht a month for longer term rentals and probably 2-3000 baht more per month for a short term rental. They have wifi for an additional 500 baht or so, plus electrical and water expenses. The rooms are not large at this price but quite clean and nice. The building is less than 2 years old. FYI, they also rent by the night for an advertised price of 600 baht a night, so that you can check it out the facilities for a couple nights and then decide.

There is another apartment complex that is directly under the Thonglo BTS, which has rooms starting from 10,000 baht per month. Its a bit older and I actually haven't looked inside the rooms so can't say what they are like but if you want immediate access to the BTS, you can't beat the location. Will try to get the name and contact numbers for both of these places.

A friend of mine lived at 38 Mansion. It is an older building but from I have seen, fairly well maintained. It does have a decent sized pool, which the other two don't, as well as a restaurant and minimart. The rooms are generous in size, although you probably have the specifics of that. It is a bit of a walk to the BTS, but the road has been recently renovated so its a nice walk and as mentioned before, it is a short motorcycle ride to the beginning of the soi.

Just to mention that soi 38 is well known for its food stalls which open mainly at night and have a variety of foods, so that you can eat something different and delicious every night of the week without going very far. There is also a hostel located on the left side of the soi, closeby to a Christian church.

Boss Tower on Rama IV is not that close to the BTS, although it is also a motorcycle ride away. I've only visited there once and wasn't that impressed for the prices they charge but the rooms are a decent size and they do have some desirable amenities. On the other hand, there is an entire thread devoted to the roach problems in the building.

Used to live at Suk 36 and also play tennis often at Suk 38, so I am very familiar with this area. Good luck with the apartment hunting!

Hi All,

Thanks, lah!

Aloha,

Rex

what makes you think VIP is in the same neighbourhood as Thong Lor?

It is in no neighbourhood at all, somewhere in the no-man's land between Khlong Tan and Phrakhanong.

(Off course, it is nowhere near Srinakarin, as another poster mentioned.)

A decent helicopter will bring you to Thong Lor in a couple of minutes, a motocycle taxi depending on traffic in about 20 minutes - unfortunately, there are neither helicopters nor motocycle taxis on Pidi 21.

A taxi to Thong Lor takes between 10 minutes (at 3:30 a.m. on a holiday) and 1 hour (during rush hours), reckon 30-40 minutes.

There is no Indian restaurant nearby, there is no good restaurant at all nearby. The only nearby restaurant is of such quality that in 5 years I have eaten there just 2 times . The girls dont eat there at all.

There is a farang hang-out on Pidi 21, these guys look like people who for some reason didnt quite make it to Pattaya.

There is a mosque opposite Pidi 21 with fancy green lighting, a convenience store which closes inconveniently early, there are 2 gas stations nearby, a broken phone booth, the GUTS security school, and a SCIB ATM which is sometimes out of order. The Indian shop on the baksoi closed, and the trash can opposite the restaurant is gone.

Traffic jam on Soi 71 starts about 11 am and ends about 11 pm. You will always find a taxi.

40 B to BTS Phrakhanong.

Rooms in VIP are clean but small and expensive for the small size.

You wont hear the muezzin even you can see the mosque, dont know if you consider this an advantage or disadvantage.

VIP would be a good choice as a hide-away where you can meet your secret lover, you dont run the risk to bump into your wife or any acquaintance in this area.

Your right mate, it's nowhere near Thonglor...we couldn't have that :)

http://www.vipmansion.com/images/map-b.gif

:D I used to stay at a guest house on Soi 38 which is now unfortuneately closed. I know the area well but but not the place you are planning to stay.

The Sukhumvit road Soi 38 stop is Soi Thonglor on the BTS. Someone said you have to cross Sukhumvit road, but you don't as there is an overpass there, and you have access to both sides of the road from the BTS.Just pick the side of the road you want when you descend from the BTS. Soi 38 used to be a very quiet Soi, once you were past the Sukhumvit road junction. The Queen's sister used to live there so the security was good with police taking care not to let anyone bother the Queen's sister. If you play tennis there is (well at least there was) a public tennis court as you went down Soi 38, the first road to your right took you to the tennis court. I'm not sure if the tennis court is still open.

There used to be very good food stalls/carts at the enterance to Soi 38 where you could get a cheap Thai meal. Quite a few Thais used to come there at night for the food, and it was very busy.

The walk down Soi 38 is only about 5/10 minutes from the Soi Thonglor BTS stop.

If the guest house hadn't closed I would recommend that pace to you. You could have negotiated a monthly deal, which probably got you a less than $30 a day room. Not fancy, but the best American breakfast meals you could get in Thailand (or at least Bangkok) with Home fried potatoes, fried ham, scrambled eggs with melted cheese and fried onions, pork sausages (patty style), and so on....but I'm afraid that's all gone now. No internet access in rooms but they let you use shared internet downstairs free of chatge.

There are 7-11 stores on both sides of Sukhumvit road within a few meters of both sides of Soi 38.

I would definately recommend the area. Couple of good Chinese food/seafood shops across from Soi 38 (on the Soi 55 side) and less than one block down Sukhumvit. At one point a lot of people working for UNESCO (near by on Sukhumvit, couple of blocks down) stayed on Soi 38.

:)

"A guest house on Soi 38". that wasn't the Sri Guest House by any chance? Stayed there myself many times from the early '70's on. Closed many years now. My friend sees Sompong occasionally but I haven't talked to him in years.

Sutti Mansion is the apartment located right under the BTS station at Thonglo. Haven't looked at the rooms myself but you can take a quick look at it here:

http://www.easyhomes.tv/property/sutti-mansion-thong-lo--178

Not a new place but very conveniently located and relatively cheap.

Thu 31 Dec 09, 9:08 pm

Thanks for all the helpful responses, guys. I don't a place out in the "boonies", not close to transport. Thanks for "heading me off at the pass!" That defeats the whole purpose. If I could afford 15K-20K it would be a non-issue. Lots to choose from in that prince range that meets bill. With my budget, I have to make decisions about what I can do without.

Thanks, lah!

Aloha,

Rex