Our Dinner Tonight

thaigerd

What else a man can do on a nice sunday afternoon..........cooking for the family :o

Wife washed the car this morning and it's now my turn(as usual).

Braised beef in a onion-tomato gravy, red cabbage and home made mashed potatoes.

What a great smell all over the house when you start frying the beef with the onions and tomatoes, hmmmmm.

Wife seems to be hungry already, beef is not 50% finished and wanted to cook he potatoes for the mash....

Here are some pics:

med_gallery_2733_531_127600.jpg

Yes, I know I am too lazy to use fresh red cabbage :D

gallery_2733_531_305191.jpg

Perfect piece of beef!

gallery_2733_531_235691.jpg

seasoned with salt and fresh grounded black pepper, getting a nice brown colour

gallery_2733_531_65222.jpg

adding the onion and tomatoes, cover the pan, lower the heat

gallery_2733_531_312173.jpg

cooking te red cabbage with onions, bayleaves, cloves, juniper and a shot of red wine.

gallery_2733_531_402246.jpg

when beef, tomatoes&onions having a brown colour add some water(and some Knorr beef)

gallery_2733_531_255003.jpg

now let it simmer until soft, add some water from time to time

gallery_2733_531_467858.jpg

Final result will come earl evening!

Gerd

Please advise what cut of beef you display in your pic. No idea what cut to ask for in Thailand. Looks like a tenderloin, much softer than I am used to.

In U.S. we would call the beef for a pot roast a chuck or rump for long slow cooking.

In other words tougher and cheaper cuts for long cooking, loin for roasting/shorter cooking?

Please advise what cut of beef you display in your pic. No idea what cut to ask for in Thailand. Looks like a tenderloin, much softer than I am used to.

In U.S. we would call the beef for a pot roast a chuck or rump for long slow cooking.

In other words tougher and cheaper cuts for long cooking, loin for roasting/shorter cooking?

To be honest: It's a perfect cut of tenderloin(australian) :o

I am getting at the moment loads of beef for testing, my dogs are very happy.

The beef you can see in the picture is a special cut, cleaned already and you can use from one end to the other, always the same cut.

Price is about 680.-Baht per kg.

Gerd

Looks delicious! How long did you cook it for?

Just 1 hour and very tender;here's the final result:

gallery_2733_531_269473.jpg

Gerd

Can you get good quality beef tenderloin in Thailand (from Thai beef) that is not imported? My guess is that cut of meat is very expensive if you have to get it from Australia. Whatever, it looks good to me. I miss good beef in Thailand.

I am sure it worked for you, but if you are going to braise it, I would not recommend a tenderloin.

The best cuts for braising are those that contain higher fat content, so you can cook it slow, longer, breaking down the tendons and fat.

Belly, brisket, tri-tip, shoulder, and parts of the chuck (read rear leg, ie hamburger, but as you clean it, you get three different muscles, I can see if I can find a link on the web) are the best for this type of application.

Tenderloin is a meat that is not used on the cow, so extremely lean. Followed by a striploin and then rib eye.

Of course, I have done this with local beef. Did sauerbraten for a promotion, used local beef. What takes four hours with regular beef took about 12-14. Just make sure to slowly braise it, ie low boil and cook it until the fork comes out when you pick it up.

I am sure it worked for you, but if you are going to braise it, I would not recommend a tenderloin.

The best cuts for braising are those that contain higher fat content, so you can cook it slow, longer, breaking down the tendons and fat.

Belly, brisket, tri-tip, shoulder, and parts of the chuck (read rear leg, ie hamburger, but as you clean it, you get three different muscles, I can see if I can find a link on the web) are the best for this type of application.

Tenderloin is a meat that is not used on the cow, so extremely lean. Followed by a striploin and then rib eye.

Of course, I have done this with local beef. Did sauerbraten for a promotion, used local beef. What takes four hours with regular beef took about 12-14. Just make sure to slowly braise it, ie low boil and cook it until the fork comes out when you pick it up.

I totally agree with you!

I am a Chef and I know it's a sin what I did, sorry. But as earlier explained I had to test the whole week many kinds of beef for short frying:

Tenderloins, T-bone steaks, Ribeye and al the other cuts.

I was soooo hungry to have a nice braised beef of meat with a great gravy, potatoes and red cabbage that I had to abuse the tenderloin.

It sonds you are a Chef???

Gerd

But, Gerd, what happened to the veg?

Jet,

wife is just eating again the red cabbage, but I did before.

I have one problem when we are eating together:

I am eating as fast as a pig, sorry. When I am finished my wife still has 95% of the food on her plate.

May be because I am growing up with 2 older sisters in a working class family, always a fight who gets the best pieces........

Gerd

:o Ok you guys make me hungry!! Too much beef/red meat once you're over 35 ain't that a good meal to have. Once a week would be a nice treat for youself. Oh how I love Sunday BBQ. Cut it down and more green. Hey! I'm just a health concern.

If you head down to your local market you will be able to pick up some great Thai tenderloin, i pay 150 Baht a kilo and the stuff is great. Can be used for all dishes (burgers, roasts, dried beef) and much cheaper than the rubbish you buy in Tesco or Tops.

If you head down to your local market you will be able to pick up some great Thai tenderloin, i pay 150 Baht a kilo and the stuff is great. Can be used for all dishes (burgers, roasts, dried beef) and much cheaper than the rubbish you buy in Tesco or Tops.

OK..........now I am confused (actually, more confused than normal). One of you says Thai tenderloin taste weird (maybe smells weird too) and the other says it is great. If I recall, the imported tenderloin from Australia was 650 baht per kg. You are saying the local tenderloin is 150 baht per kg.........BIG FREAKIN DIFFERENCE IN PRICE. Is it really great? Or are you starving for home food and think anything that resembles it is great? The truth please.

But, Gerd, what happened to the veg?

Jet,

wife is just eating again the red cabbage, but I did before.

I have one problem when we are eating together:

I am eating as fast as a pig, sorry. When I am finished my wife still has 95% of the food on her plate.

May be because I am growing up with 2 older sisters in a working class family, always a fight who gets the best pieces........

Gerd

LOL- I grew up as the only one in a working class family till my sister was born when I was 19. I was treated like a little prince as the only one (and grandson on both sides) but I know what you are saying about the eating.

I shared a house at Uni with 2 other guy's grew up with a few brothers and they could wolf down a plate so fast I was astounded. We cooked two nights each and ate out the other night of the week. I could walk from the kitchen to the dining table with their plates then by the time i got back with mine they were half finished - piping hot. They put it down to the brothers!

JR Texas: Yes, locally bought tenderloin is available for 150 Baht a kilo but there is no comparison with Australian Beef, in quality or refrigeration.

I have frequented many local markets for six years and have yet to see any refrigeration. An electric fly swatter rotating over the meat is about it. Doesn't keep the flies off of it that I have seen.

However, if you cook the meat to death, like in a stew, there shouldn't be a problem.

I am no expert on beef, but what I do know is that beef that is not aged, and certainly Thai beef is not, is called "range beef" in the U.S. and elsewhere. Range beef cannot be aged because it does not have enough marbeling. No aging makes the beef tough by any comparison with "feeder lot" fattened up marbleized beef that is tender for that reason. Also beef without marbling or fat does not taste as good. I once ordered hamburger with 0% fat from a custom meat provider in the U.S. against the suppliers advice. Tasted like cardboard. At least 10% fat is needed for flavor. Also, I found that if there is no fat or oil in a meal, I wil get incredible cravings, after eating, for sweets.

I buy Thai ground beef from Rimping for 200 a Kg. and use it as one would use any ground beef, however, it certainly doesn't taste like Australian ground beef in flavor. I frankly love hamburgers, but no Thai beef ones. I spent all last year in Australia and found their beef prices similar to Australian beef prices here.

Aldi, in Australia, did have a 2 kilo package of great ground beef for 5 AUD and I lived on the stuff.

Thai beef, IMHO, is fine for chili, stroganoff or stew that has added seasonings and flavor.

JR Texas: Yes, locally bought tenderloin is available for 150 Baht a kilo but there is no comparison with Australian Beef, in quality or refrigeration.

I have frequented many local markets for six years and have yet to see any refrigeration. An electric fly swatter rotating over the meat is about it. Doesn't keep the flies off of it that I have seen.

However, if you cook the meat to death, like in a stew, there shouldn't be a problem.

I am no expert on beef, but what I do know is that beef that is not aged, and certainly Thai beef is not, is called "range beef" in the U.S. and elsewhere. Range beef cannot be aged because it does not have enough marbeling. No aging makes the beef tough by any comparison with "feeder lot" fattened up marbleized beef that is tender for that reason. Also beef without marbling or fat does not taste as good. I once ordered hamburger with 0% fat from a custom meat provider in the U.S. against the suppliers advice. Tasted like cardboard. At least 10% fat is needed for flavor. Also, I found that if there is no fat or oil in a meal, I wil get incredible cravings, after eating, for sweets.

I buy Thai ground beef from Rimping for 200 a Kg. and use it as one would use any ground beef, however, it certainly doesn't taste like Australian ground beef in flavor. I frankly love hamburgers, but no Thai beef ones. I spent all last year in Australia and found their beef prices similar to Australian beef prices here.

Aldi, in Australia, did have a 2 kilo package of great ground beef for 5 AUD and I lived on the stuff.

Thai beef, IMHO, is fine for chili, stroganoff or stew that has added seasonings and flavor.

Thanks....I think I understand and surely know about the rotating fly swatter method of preventing contamination..........does not work. I imagine that one million farangs have already told them how to properly process and package and store meat.........but they refuse to listen.

You would not believe what is surrounding me in Isan........they butcher these skinny cows on the ground, cut them up and hang the legs outside on a hook wrapped in a red cloth.......no refrigeration at all......just sitting on the hooks all day and night and the next day and the next day until it is all gone. I would not touch it with a ten foot pole.

If you get to the market early enough the beef is still breathing and you'll have no problems with freshness. I agree that the Thai tenderloin isn't as good as the Australian tenderloin BUT is it 500 baht a kilo better?? Have a taste it shouldn't kill you (fingers crossed) :o:D:D:D

Totally agree. Always bought my meat at the wet market (Tesco meat is terrible, IMO). Ask for filet -- usually have to buy the whole piece, but it is cheap. Can't remember, Bt250? Slice it and freeze. Same for chicken and pork. Back here in Canada, the meat tastes funny to me. Too many drugs or weird feed? The chicken is horrid and I want to throw up when I smell it cooking. Even the eggs taste strange.

JR Texas, like Tatler said, you have to go to the market around 5-6 am. No flies, everything fresh. Season the steaks and let them age in the fridge on a covered rack for a few days.

Totally agree. Always bought my meat at the wet market (Tesco meat is terrible, IMO). Ask for filet -- usually have to buy the whole piece, but it is cheap. Can't remember, Bt250? Slice it and freeze. Same for chicken and pork. Back here in Canada, the meat tastes funny to me. Too many drugs or weird feed? The chicken is horrid and I want to throw up when I smell it cooking. Even the eggs taste strange.

JR Texas, like Tatler said, you have to go to the market around 5-6 am. No flies, everything fresh. Season the steaks and let them age in the fridge on a covered rack for a few days.

The beef at Thai-French Butchery on Sukhumvit 3/1 is near on delightful. I would suggest you try them sometime.

Dr. B

Also realized I typed 3/1 when it should have been 33/1, in the same little parking lane as Villa.

That explains it :o

Thai French is decent beef. The reason I say I wouldn't pay double, though, is because there is not a significant difference in marbling of the beef from what I've seen. Good beef needs decent fat content. Though to be honest, ordinary Thai beef is also worse because I understand the cattle actually have to work - and are probably not as young when turned into food for the dinner table.

Mind you - given a choice between Thai French and the expensive import stuff, I'd take Thai French. Unless they start importing US beef again...