Settelment Visa Help

also my wifes settelment visa runs out in november and she has not done all the tests due to working and having our son so we are going to have to exctend her visa , what do we have to do???? and where do we find information about this ,i.e cost ,forms ,etc etc

many thanks pete and som

Hi Cuddleypete,

I have sent my wife on an ESOL course at our local college. I am under the impression that she has to attend 2 classes per week for 2 hours per lesson for 12 weeks. she will not have to pass any tests she just has to attend the classes. The college tutor has told me that after 12 weeks she will write my wife a letter to say that she has completed the ESOL course . I am told that this is good enough to use to apply for the ILR. I hope i am right in what i am led to believe.

Up to you

good luck

Scooty and mrs Scooty

Scooty,

I'd double check with the college.

A member of this site recently applied for indefinite leave for his wife who was armed with such a letter from the college. The Borders and Immigration Agency (BIA) refused the application on the basis that the qualification was not awarded by one of the recognised bodies and instead granted her a further two years.

It now appears that the BIA are looking for an ESOL certificate in reading/writing/listening from a recognised examination board in addition to the citizenship letter from the college. The alternative is to sit the Life in the UK test.

Scouse.

Hi all,

Scouse, thanks for the info but i am now very confused. I have been told by the main tutor at the college that the ESOL course that my wife is doing is good enough to apply for the ILR.

I also read another post on this site where you spoke of a member from Sheffield that applied for ILR for his wife and she had only attended the 12 week course. but this was good enough to get the ILR.

I am aslo wondering about you say that the BIA refused another members application but granted a further 2 years , i would assume and hope that the applicant would also be refunded the difference of the cost between FLR and the ILR.

So now if the BIA want a ESOL certificate from a recognised board. Does anyone know who are the recognised examination boards ?

Any advice is well appreciated

thanks

Scooty

Essentially, it appears that this change in legislation was so rushed through that the left hand (being the schools and colleges) doesn't know what the right hand (being the BIA) is doing and a mass of confusion has arisen.

I understand that the member concerned has sent you a PM. He's done a lot of research in to this and is probably the best person to contact. He's currently trying to get back from the college the £750.00 ILR application fee as they misled him.

Scouse.

Cheers Scouse,

i will look into it and i have now read the PM message and have sent an email to the member .

I cant believe how wrong the whole system is when millions from eastern europe can stay in Britain and not have to do any ESOL course or pass any life in the UK test but the wife of an Englishman has to go through all the hassle of qualyfing to stay in the UK . Its a disgrace.

Scooty

Actually i will go as far as to say it is the British governement being Racist

So what is your perception of racism?

It is not just Thai citizens who have to prove competency in English to be granted permanant residence it is every single applicant from outside the EU.

I hope you dont go crying Racist everytime regulations dont suit you or your wife has a problem in UK, those with such a chip on their shoulder dont get much sympathy with the rest of the population.

Edited by Mahout Angrit

Hi Cuddleypete,

I have sent my wife on an ESOL course at our local college. I am under the impression that she has to attend 2 classes per week for 2 hours per lesson for 12 weeks. she will not have to pass any tests she just has to attend the classes. The college tutor has told me that after 12 weeks she will write my wife a letter to say that she has completed the ESOL course . I am told that this is good enough to use to apply for the ILR. I hope i am right in what i am led to believe.

Up to you

good luck

Scooty and mrs Scooty

hi there scooty i went to collage last night with my wife and the tutor said that my wife can apply for ilr as she has esol level 2 and a certificate of citerzenship,then after one year she can apply for naturalization

pete

Hi Pete, can I suggest to you that you print this, take it to the college and ask the tutor. I know its a pain in the whatnots but you need to be 100% sure.

1. IS the ESOL certificate awarded by one of the following recognised organisations

 University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations (ESOL Cambridge)

 Trinity College London

 City & Guilds (Pitmans)

 Edexcel

 English Speaking Board (International)(ESB)

 National Open College Network

 Open College of the North West (OCNW)

 Education Development International (EDI)

 The Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA)

2. AS WELL AS the above certificate is the college going to give your wife letter with the wording something similar to the following.

To be written on headed paper which includes the confirming institution’s name and address.

Confirmation of achievement of a Certificate in English for Speakers of other languages (ESOL) Skills for Life delivered within a citizenship context.

The attached certificate in ESOL Skills for Life awarded by … (name of awarding body) … is being submitted by … (name of applicant) … as part of his / her application for naturalisation as set out in the requirements by the Home Secretary.

This letter is to confirm the certificate was gained after attendance at an ESOL course provided by this institution. The ESOL course was delivered in a citizenship context and used learning materials derived from the “Citizenship Materials for ESOL learners” pack produced for the Home Office by NIACE and LLU+.

Signed:

(authorised representative of the college/institution)

Name: (printed)

Date

hi there vulture thanks for your reply

my wife has asol certificate's at level 2 and they are from the University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations (ESOL Cambridge)

as for the citizenship certificate i dont know until maybe next week when my wife starts collage agian

i will let you know what is says

and i will also take what you say and show her, and let you know her reply ok

many thanks pete

Hi Cuddleypete,

Did your wife attend the ESOL course in Cambridge or in Hastings ?

Wherever it was she studied then the college did well to give her a certificate from Cambridge.

Cheers

Scooty

hi there scooty she did the course in hastings and the cert came for university of cambridge

many thanks pete

Thanks cuddleypete, that is what i wanted to know, that it is possible to get the certificate from one of the recognised organisations even though the study took place at a different college. I plan to go to the college where my wife studies and tell them to make sure that the certificate comes from one of the 9 organisations.

thanks

Scooty