Advice Appreciated!

Hi I want to bring my girlfriend from Thailand to the UK on a visitor visa.

I will be her sponsor, however, the problem is that she has to prove that

she will be returning to Thailand once her visa expires. She's living with

her parents and currently has no full-time employment. Any advice on what I should do to make a successful Visa application for her

is appreciated. Many thanks.

Hi Pete,

Thank you for your reply. I met her in July (2007) during my 2 weeks holiday visit to Thailand and ever since I returned to the UK, we've been keeping in touch via telephone calls. I will be keeping records of all my phone bills. We also have photographs which were taken when we were together.

I am going back to see her in November and hope to apply for a visitor visa for her. If successful, I'd like her to come back to the England with me.

As for my background, I'm a Thai national with a permanent resident visa (currently applying for British citizenship). I am in full time for an IT company for the last 7 years and have a house in Surrey. I will be her sponsor and provide accommodation and financial support during her visit.

I forgot to mention in my original post that she has a 1 year old daughter from her last relationship which was broken down 6 months ago. I don't know whether this could be used as a reason to return to Thailand once the Visa has expired.

Thanks.

You say you have the accomodation and financial requirements covered, you will be expected to provide proof which I'm sure you can. As you are already aware the most difficult point will be to provide compelling evidence that she will return after the visit.

Having a child is not really sufficient proof as you will know only too well that it is not unusual for Thais to leave a child with granny while they work overseas. She should declare the daughter when she applies though in case things develop and she wants to bring her too on another visit.

She really needs a job/responsibility or enrolled on a uni course. Owning property helps but only helps.

You also mention 'returning when her Visa expires'. While a tourist visa is usually valid for 6 months it would be wise not to apply for or expect her to be allowed a holiday in UK for 6 months for the first visit (it could be construed as 'testing out the waters' not a holiday)

You can use the search function on this forum on the word 'tourist' and 'visitor' and you will find links and tips given to others in a similar position.

Any specific questions come back and ask.

Edited by Mahout Angrit