Learning English In Bangkok

craighj

Hi, I've posted this on another forum and I've had no replies, so I thought I'd ask for your advice.

I'm relatively new to Bangkok and surprise, surprise I have a Thai girl friend.

She lives up country in Mukdahan and I intend to bring her down here in the next few weeks.

The issue I have is that, while she can speak some English, it's not all that good.

She is learning English in Mukdahan but the way they teach it is incorrect, in my opinion. They spend more

time trying to teach them nouns, adverbs etc rather than the basics of conversation and day to speech.

My question for the forum is, does anyone know of a good English tutor or teacher they could recommend?

Thanks

Craig

I suggest a Callan Method school. Try Silom, Lad Prao, LA Experience near Phloen Chit, or the one near Asok BTS.

This school uses the direct method which focuses on speaking more than anything else. It's intensive and effective for the majority of students, but they have to stick with it after first going through an uncomfortable learning curve. Teachers are very helpful, however.

Edited by Jimjim

I suggest a Callan Method school. Try Silom, Lad Prao, LA Experience near Phloen Chit, or the one near Asok BTS.

This school uses the direct method which focuses on speaking more than anything else. It's intensive and effective for the majority of students, but they have to stick with it after first going through an uncomfortable learning curve. Teachers are very helpful, however.

People who give credibility to the heavily criticized direct (if that is the same as "natural") method can have it for 2400B per 3 months 30 hours a week at AUA Rajadamri.

http://www.auathailand.org

I have seen Thais in coming in groups for a class there, in different uniforms - nurses, insurance company clerks, banking staff...must be worthwhile in someone's eyes.

A lady who was learning Thai there told me it took her 200 hours (in a class) to start talking and then was better.

My wife went to AUA and did (they tested her and gave her a credit for first 2) courses 4-6 but then it became too hard (required Western Uni education to follow what is being talked about - Michelangelo's sculptures, green house effect, building of the Segrada Familia in Barcelona...). Then she went to ECC where simpler things and closer to the earth were discussed.

http://www.ecc.ac.th/thai/index.aspx

People who give credibility to the heavily criticized direct (if that is the same as "natural") method can have it for 2400B per 3 months 30 hours a week at AUA Rajadamri.

http://www.auathailand.org

I have seen Thais in coming in groups for a class there, in different uniforms - nurses, insurance company clerks, banking staff...must be worthwhile in someone's eyes.

A lady who was learning Thai there told me it took her 200 hours (in a class) to start talking and then was better.

My wife went to AUA and did (they tested her and gave her a credit for first 2) courses 4-6 but then it became too hard (required Western Uni education to follow what is being talked about - Michelangelo's sculptures, green house effect, building of the Segrada Familia in Barcelona...). Then she went to ECC where simpler things and closer to the earth were discussed.

http://www.ecc.ac.th/thai/index.aspx

Thanks guys for both replies.

Craig