Passports, Thai & British

Hi scouse, my daughter was born October 2006,do i after pay the £400 which seems to be a bit steep?? or the figure of 10,000 baht which is mentioned

I am unmarried!

I understand the passport side of things which really has not got the same grey area as registration process seems to have.

Any clarifacation cheers .

Arnie,

Have a read through the pinned topic:-

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=105205

Scouse.

:o ??

Just unsure on the fee side of it!(they do not make it clear) have mailed the embassy about the fees,even for births prior to july 2006, £400++ seems unfair.

As i understand i can.....Because of a change in the law, those born abroad to at least one British parent on or after 1 July 2006 will, in most cases, be British by automatic acquisition and they may immediately apply for a passport and, if they so wish, have their birth registered with the embassy. However, those born before this date of an unmarried British father will not have a claim to automatic acquisition and will still have to apply to the Secretary of State for registration as a British citizen.WHAT WILL THE COST BE FOR ME??

5,472 BAHT for the passport....

And i can register my daughters birth for 10,872 baht....or i don"t need to register my daughters birth and can still get a passport seems odd!

what is the benefit of registering the birth at the embassy then just this....

The birth of British citizens in Thailand can be registered at the British embassy in Bangkok, from where a British passport can also be obtained. There is no requirement to register the birth at the embassy,but to do so has its advantages as a British-style birth certificate will be issued which can help prevent any confusion in the UK later in life. Should the decision be made not to register the birth,a British passport can still be applied for.NB: Registering a birth at the British embassy, and registering at the Home Office as a British citizen are two different processes and are not related.

Many thanks again for your advice,cheers mate.

That's about the sum of it. Registering the birth means that a British birth certificate will be issued and placed on record at the GRO, so should your daughter need to get a duplicate at any point, she can do so from within the U.K. Also should she settle in the UK, she'll find it easier producing a British birth certificate rather than her Thai one plus translation.

Scouse.