Anti Junta Protest, Mae Sai Border On Monday

marvink

I heared a rumour about a big protest in Mae Sai, against the Junta. This is meant to be taking place on Monday.

I was wondering if it would be adviseable for a Farang to go along. Are protests of this type technically illegal in Thailand. Obviously this is taking place on the Thai side - by the border I believe.

Can anyone confirm if this is true, and if so are they going.

My wife is Burmese (american passport holder) and she wants to go.

Thank you

I must say if I was Burmese or had any connections there I would be there to protest.

Sometimes the policy of non-interference and sitting on the fence gets taken too far.

Having lived in Thailand for a long while but being brought up in the UK in a very politically active family and environment and must say I choose to stand up for what you believe in rather than bury your head in the sand. Causing trouble is not a good thing but ignoring situations that go totally against your beliefs and the "good of people" is much more dangerous.

Inaction is what the tyrannical idiots that get into power depend upon, without people that are willing to stick their necks out, we might not be left with much of a society to live in.

As long as these protests against Burma's military government are peaceful, I feel VERY tempted to participate. :D

I'll join you, UG dude. 'Twill be a stirring sight, a Rush Limbaugh Republican and a Clinton Democrat, marching side by side, lifting their fists to the sky, and chanting "Power To The People". :o

McG

As long as these protests against Burma's military government are peaceful, I feel VERY tempted to participate. :D

I'll join you, UG dude. 'Twill be a stirring sight, a Rush Limbaugh Republican and a Clinton Democrat, marching side by side, lifting their fists to the sky, and chanting "Power To The People". :o

McG

remember the forum rules guys, no politically motivated talks unless its about what goes on in the oval office. :D

I was a hippie when I was young, I voted for Clinton and I think that Rush Limbaugh is a fat, doped-out hypocrite.

I would not exactly describe myself as a "Rush Limbaugh" Republican, although a 9-11 Republican could fit. Too bad they don't have anybody running that is fit to be president. :o

I was a hippie when I was young, I voted for Clinton and I think that Rush Limbaugh is a fat, doped-out hypocrite.

I would not exactly describe myself as a "Rush Limbaugh" Republican, although a 9-11 Republican could fit. Too bad they don't have anybody running that is fit to be president. :D

I heard Tax-Shin is looking for a job. Wonder if he can do anything for the American People. He can do a lot in the Oval Office i reckon. :o

So, does anyone know whether the Mae Sae event is still on? I would like to know details of where, when, if anyone is hiring a mini-van or would like to give a lift to people prepared to share fuel costs. I would also be interested to see details of any future anti-Burmese junta rallies/protests in Chiang Mai posted on this forum or in this thread.