Any Us Bank Account That Allow Wire Transfer Online

I wonder if there are reliable banks in USA that allow to initiate wire transfer to Thailand online. There are discussions about Bank of America but seems to have various success stories? How about checking account with Everbank, Bank of Internet or any other banks? Any success story that can been shared and the fees involved?

Thanks a bunch.

Edited by all4real

I bank here with Bangkok Bank. The have a branch in NYC. I do a transfer from my Fidelity cash account to Bangkok Bank NYC and then it ends up in my Bankok branch. I don't think there is any cost or it is much smaller than $30. I bet most major Thai banks have branches in the US and that's the easy cheap way to do this. And yes I do it all online - just like transfering money to any US bank account.

I have a personal checking acount with Bank of America, and I have been transferring money to my Bangkok Bank account monthly via the internet for more than a year now. Cost is $3 to transfer up to $10,000 and it takes 3 business days to complete the transfer.

Edited by DFCarlson

Carmine6 - If you request to wire DOLLARS Citibank is not the one doing the exchange the receiving banks rate is used...

Valjean - How did you open the Bangkok Bank account in NYC?

I haven't done it in a while, but it was a dollar transfer. Some bank in the chain takes a cut of 1% or 2% when done through Citibank that doesn't happen when using Fidelity. They probably just take it off the dollar amount.

I have a personal checking acount with Bank of America, and I have been transferring money to my Bangkok Bank account monthly via the internet for more than a year now. Cost is $3 to transfer up to $10,000 and it takes 3 business days to complete the transfer.

Are you doing this by using the Bangkok Branch NY routing number and your Thailand bank account number?

Carmine6 - If you request to wire DOLLARS Citibank is not the one doing the exchange the receiving banks rate is used...

Valjean - How did you open the Bangkok Bank account in NYC?

I haven't done it in a while, but it was a dollar transfer. Some bank in the chain takes a cut of 1% or 2% when done through Citibank that doesn't happen when using Fidelity. They probably just take it off the dollar amount.

I also use Citibank. It is a flat $30 fee regardless of the amount. If I make the transfer during the week it is always in my Siam Commercial account the next day. It goes directly from Citibank to Siam Commercial. Siam Commercial has a VERY small fee but the exchange rate is always at the Thailand onshore rate when wiring US dollars. I also use their free bill pay for any credit card debt and also pay for eBay items that way. Most eBay sellers are happy to get a Citibank check.

Are you doing this by using the Bangkok Branch NY routing number and your Thailand bank account number?

I don't know which branch of BB routing number the BoA uses. I didn't provide the routing number, it was already in the BoA link when I set this up.

I don't know which branch of BB routing number the BoA uses. I didn't provide the routing number, it was already in the BoA link when I set this up.

This sounds like an ACH transfer to Bangkok Bank NY which then forwards it to Thailand. It was discussed just about 2 years ago here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...c=41816&hl=

Some people said some larger dollar transfers were stopped and some couldn't set this up at all. But for others it worked just fine like your situation.

Edited by Carmine6

This sounds like an ACH transfer to Bangkok Bank NY which then forwards it to Thailand. It was discussed just about 2 years ago here:

Some people said some larger dollar transfers were stopped and some couldn't set this up at all. But for others it worked just fine like your situation.

I get the higher on-shore rate, wouldn't that mean that the transfer was in dollars to Thailand and coverted here?

I get the higher on-shore rate, wouldn't that mean that the transfer was in dollars to Thailand and coverted here?

I always get the onshore rate when I transfer dollars. Today the onshore rate is 34.27 and the offshore is 31.85. It's quite a big difference.

I always get the onshore rate when I transfer dollars. Today the onshore rate is 34.27 and the offshore is 31.85. It's quite a big difference.

Thank you for all the responses. I have read through the posts on Bank of America, some reports that online transfer options is not available to them depends on which state the account is opened, any truth to that? Anyone has HSBC in US (HSBC direct) that able to do wire transfer online? I got a HSBC from Singapore and it has the worldwide wire transfer option.

Thanks.

I wonder if there are reliable banks in USA that allow to initiate wire transfer to Thailand online. There are discussions about Bank of America but seems to have various success stories? How about checking account with Everbank, Bank of Internet or any other banks? Any success story that can been shared and the fees involved?

Thanks a bunch.

:o I have a small local bank in Massachusetts that lets me initate wire transfers to Thailand on line. To transfer money to Thailand I had to first sign and return a form and set a max amount for each monthly transfer. I recieved a pin code by registered mail.Now to transfer money on a monthly basis, I just have to email the bank which starts the wire transfer with my email address and a verification code (not my pin code). Cost is $15 per wire transfer.

:D

Thanks a bunch.

:D I have a small local bank in Massachusetts that lets me initate wire transfers to Thailand on line. To transfer money to Thailand I had to first sign and return a form and set a max amount for each monthly transfer. I recieved a pin code by registered mail.Now to transfer money on a monthly basis, I just have to email the bank which starts the wire transfer with my email address and a verification code (not my pin code). Cost is $15 per wire transfer.

:D

That is most interesting - Could you possibly have shared the name of the bank with us :o

Thank you for all the responses. I have read through the posts on Bank of America, some reports that online transfer options is not available to them depends on which state the account is opened, any truth to that? Anyone has HSBC in US (HSBC direct) that able to do wire transfer online? I got a HSBC from Singapore and it has the worldwide wire transfer option.

Thanks.

I have an HSBC Direct account in the USA and an HSBC Account in Bangkok; attempted to set initiate a transfer to BKK about 6 months ago and was informed that International transfers were not supported at that time. Anyone with further information?

I would be careful about transferring funds from an offshore HSBC (USA Direct) account to Thailand HSBC... They may use the offshore rate... I used my USA HSBC Direct ATM card at the Bangkok HSBC Bank ATM and received the offshore exchange rate when funds were taken out of my US account.

I would be careful about transferring funds from an offshore HSBC (USA Direct) account to Thailand HSBC... They may use the offshore rate... I used my USA HSBC Direct ATM card at the Bangkok HSBC Bank ATM and received the offshore exchange rate when funds were taken out of my US account.

You are right - I had exactly the same experience; however, if you use the same card at a Thai bank you get the onshore rate.

E*Trade - you can initiate the wire transfer to a Thai bank online from a brokerage account. Not sure whether you can do the same from an E*Trade savings account, though. Even if you can't, you can xfer funds from the bank account to the brokerage account online in real-time, then do the outgoing wire to Thailand.

The one catch is that the Thai receiving account must be in the same name as the brokerage account. Foreign wires cannot be sent to a third party.

Anyone with success using Bank of America method of transfer money from other US banks to Bangkok Bank? With the following steps:

1) Setup external link from your US banks account with Bangkok Bank (New York Branch) routing number: 026008691 and Bangkok Bank Thailand

bank account number. Usually they make two small deposits ( less than $1) to verify the account ownership.

2) Bangkok Bank New York branch will credit to Bangkok Bangkok Thailand account with a flat fee of $5

3) Bangkok bank Thailand do the foreign currency exchange with fee from B200 to B500

Questions:

1) How to obtain the info for the two small deposits, call Bualuang 1333 or have to go the the bank?

2) Any transfer amount limit?

It seems like a cheaper alternative than SWIFT wire transfer if you do regular transfer. Anyone that have done this can shed some light?

Thanks.

Edited by all4real

Thanks a bunch.

I second the eTrade recommendation - I don't do wires, but I did look at it - $25 for international wires, and you just need to fax in authorization (can be done via your computer and a service such as efax.com)

I don't bother with wires for the most part because my eTrade ATM card (I have eTrade Bank max checking account) guarantees no ATM fees.

Been withdrawing money on it for almost a year now, and not once have I been hit with an ATM charge or any of the other nonsense that BofA was charging me for (like the $45 international wire fee).

Thanks a bunch.

I second the eTrade recommendation - I don't do wires, but I did look at it - $25 for international wires, and you just need to fax in authorization (can be done via your computer and a service such as efax.com)

I don't bother with wires for the most part because my eTrade ATM card (I have eTrade Bank max checking account) guarantees no ATM fees.

Been withdrawing money on it for almost a year now, and not once have I been hit with an ATM charge or any of the other nonsense that BofA was charging me for (like the $45 international wire fee).

No need to fax an authorization to E*Trade if you're wiring to an account you own. The faxed authorization is required only when transferring to a third party account (although my acct exec told me that there can be glitches, so its best to avoid wiring to a third party). So far, no problems at all doing numerous wires, all initiated via the web. ... and gavstah is correct - the wire fee is only 25 USD - cheaper than most US banks.

E Trade has been mentioned before and it definitely caught my interest. I applied for an account and was informed that since I wasn't a resident of the US, they couldn't open an account for me.

...1) How to obtain the info for the two small deposits, call Bualuang 1333 or have to go the the bank?

Call them and they will give you the USD dollar (actually cents) amounts that you will need to validate the tranfers. I have done this 4 times, but my banks just shutdown the transfer.

I use SWIFT transfers (@$50 each). I fax a request to the bank, they send an e-mail requesting confirmation, once that is recieved the money is sent. If I time it right, I can get money in less then 2 days. Try not to do much and only send large amounts.

TH

E Trade has been mentioned before and it definitely caught my interest. I applied for an account and was informed that since I wasn't a resident of the US, they couldn't open an account for me.

Try the ETRADE office in Hong Kong.

Lefty

Try the ETRADE office in Hong Kong.

Lefty

I sent Hong Kong an email and they didn't even bother to answer. I'll continue to wire funds as needed through Citibank and pay the $30.

I just did this with BofA's online banking and the NYC bangkok bank branch.

very easy to setup.

i got the amount of the two small deposits you bualuang phone. went through the prompts to get down to hear information on international transfers. the automated system told me the amount in US$ and Thai Baht.

i dont know what the fees are for these transfers.

Mark

Anyone with success using Bank of America method of transfer money from other US banks to Bangkok Bank? With the following steps:

1) Setup external link from your US banks account with Bangkok Bank (New York Branch) routing number: 026008691 and Bangkok Bank Thailand

bank account number. Usually they make two small deposits ( less than $1) to verify the account ownership.

2) Bangkok Bank New York branch will credit to Bangkok Bangkok Thailand account with a flat fee of $5

3) Bangkok bank Thailand do the foreign currency exchange with fee from B200 to B500

Questions:

1) How to obtain the info for the two small deposits, call Bualuang 1333 or have to go the the bank?

2) Any transfer amount limit?

It seems like a cheaper alternative than SWIFT wire transfer if you do regular transfer. Anyone that have done this can shed some light?

Thanks.