Extensions Or Changes In Type Of Visa

Can a person ~ say from Australia, or the US, or Canada etc etc ~ who is in Thailand on a 30-day no-visa-necessary tourist stay . . . then decides he likes the place, has the time, has the spontenaity, apply for the longer, 60-day visa (with extension possibilities to 30 more days) while in Thailand? Or would he have to go outside Thailand to apply for a visa for a longer term than his original 30-day stay?

In short . . can one change a regular tourist no-visa stay into a longer stay by getting an extension visa within the country?

My understanding is that you need to visit a Thai consulate outside the country to apply for a tourist visa. When you enter for 30 days under the visa waiver, you don't have a visa, ergo you don't have a visa to extend.

However, if you enter Thailand on a 60 day tourist visa, you can apply within Thailand to change the visa to a Non immigrant O. I did that in my early days here on the advice of some TV members.

Not unless you qualify for a requirement, family, employment or such extension of stay and apply with 21 days remaining on your permitted to stay stamp (which means you fell in love with the place very fast). 30 day entry is not a tourist visa but is a visa exempt entry.