Thai Daughter Planning On Post-graduate Study In Australia

Hello all.

My adopted Thai daughter is planning on doing he Masters degree in Business Administration in Australia next year. Being a Brit. myself, I do not really have much information about Australian universities. She has asked me for advice about which university she should choose, and I mentioned Perth because of it's geagraphical location and similarities to Asian climate etc. I know there are quite alot of Thais living and studying in Perth. But, what about Sidney, or Melbourne. Are there any good universities in these cities ?

Any advice from our Oz members would be much appreciated !

Thanks.

Ok we better get the Thai about overseas study saying out of the way first

Old money goes to england

New Money goes to America

No money goes to Australia

The reason I mention it is because I have hard Thai's say this a lot and the person I have heard it a lot recently interviews people for roles at a major MNC in Thailand - I do not know if the attitude is widespread

Getting back to Aus MBA's - I recently looked at a few of them that are on offer in Singapore. These were the second level ones such as Murdoch, James Cook, Southern Cross and quickly crossed them off my list to do - they were nowhere on the Economist and FT lists and people do take notice of these.

The one I went into most was Murdoch which is in Perth - they give an MBA and you do not have to do dissertation/project - its all taught. Sorry but to me that is a Post Grad Diploma not a Masters level and if someone applied to me with that I would treat it as a PG Diploma.

I know two Dr's who are now pretty senior managers who did their MBA at Melbourne Business School which does have a very good name

The only other one mentioned in the rankings that people take notice of is the Australian School of Management which is in Sydney.

Hello all.

My adopted Thai daughter is planning on doing he Masters degree in Business Administration in Australia next year. Being a Brit. myself, I do not really have much information about Australian universities. She has asked me for advice about which university she should choose, and I mentioned Perth because of it's geagraphical location and similarities to Asian climate etc. I know there are quite alot of Thais living and studying in Perth. But, what about Sidney, or Melbourne. Are there any good universities in these cities ?

Thanks.

Hello all.

Thanks.

I note that your question is "Are there any good universities in [sydney and Melbourne]?" It is not "What are the top universities as measured on the Jiao Tong or TImes Higher Education or Institute of Applied Economics, or whatever ranking system is used..?

All metropolitan and regional and national multi-campus universities in Australia are accredited by State and Commonwealth governments according to the Australian Qualifications Framework, an advisory body to the Commonwealth Minister for Education. The most prestigious metropolitan universities have formed themselves into a "Group of Eight". However, other universities are often as highly regarded for particular strengths. For example, one might do well to study Tropical Medicine at the regional James Cook University in Townsville, or Marine biology at Central Queensland University or Systematic Theology at the Australian Catholic University. Wollongong and USQ are internationally acknowledged for their distance education and e-learning programs. For an MBA, probably a metropolitan university makes most sense, however, though not necessarily one of the group of eight, who may have attained their high rankings on criteria that don't bear all that closely on the quality of their MBAs.

Your daughter should check out what's available and get advice from IDP or the Australian Education Centre in Bangkok. Broadsweep ranking scales and traditional prejudices should not be the deciding factors.

One advantage, too, of a metropolitan location is that she can connect with the Thai community when she wants to and to the extent she wants to.

MBA available from UNISA City West campus in Adelaide, great people great city good Thai community enjoy

Yeah, cheers bronco. In my original post, I mentioned Perth, while I actually meant Adelaide! :o

Thanks for the advice about UNISA !

Cheers!