Couple Of Quick Words Wanted

Wizzard of Oz

Hey ... just started learning thai again and my dictionary has multiple meanings for some words, so I was wondering if someone could tell me with english characters (i can figure out from the dict the correct pronouciation) the words for:

1. trust - as in 'I don't trust you', or 'I can't trust you'. This is diff to 'believe'. My book has a few diff meatnings

2. prostitute - if I wanted to say 'I'm not interested in meeting a hooker' (yea i won't be saying this directly to a hooker, so don't worry =P), how would I say it. The words people told me for prostitute are: 'hai dtua' [give body], 'ser-pee-nii' [thats from teh dict], 'borigan poo-ying' (or was it 'poo-ying borigan') [service woman].

3. lose face - is this 'naa sia' ? ... someone mentioned another term the other day.

Cheers for any info

1. trust - as in 'I don't trust you', or 'I can't trust you'. This is diff to 'believe'. My book has a few diff meatnings

Trust = wai jai such as "phom my wai jai khun" for the first and "phom wai jai khun mai dai" for the 2nd

2. prostitute - if I wanted to say 'I'm not interested in meeting a hooker' (yea i won't be saying this directly to a hooker, so don't worry =P), how would I say it. The words people told me for prostitute are: 'hai dtua' [give body], 'ser-pee-nii' [thats from teh dict], 'borigan poo-ying' (or was it 'poo-ying borigan') [service woman].

I know a couple of terms one I know is inappropriate and won't bring it up here and the 2nd is the one above 'ser-pee-nii or sophonee (believe closer pronunciation form).

3. lose face - is this 'naa sia' ? ... someone mentioned another term the other day.

Sia nah is to lose face.

Cheers for the info

I know a couple of terms one I know is inappropriate and won't bring it up here and the 2nd is the one above 'ser-pee-nii or sophonee (believe closer pronunciation form).

So to day that I don't want to meet a hooker, I would say

"mai yak phob ser-pee-nii" ?

Just in case you are talking to a hooker, presumably you're talking about the type us farangs are more likely to encounter rather than a street walker, I think the term they prefer would be Puu ying bar or Puu ying tam ngaan bar. Apparently there's a difference.

He Wiz Oz

I'd maybe also phrase it like 'mai sonjai' as in 'not interested.' To me the 'pop' (meet) thing makes it sounds like there's already a meeting set up and you don't want to go meet her. Imagining you're trying to explain to a friend or matchmaker type acquaintance I might say something like 'Mai sonjai puying tamngan ti bar loei. Phom ke sonjai puying dii dii.' Basically, 'I'm not interested in meeting a bar girl at all. I'm only interested in good girls.' That should get things on the right track.

We could all give you more pointers if we knew the situation you're thinking of in more detail. I've had these conversations many times and went to give my list of good characteristics: smiles alot, smart, funny, ting-tong, jai dii, curvy, etc.... but all up to you here really.

He Wiz Oz

I'd maybe also phrase it like 'mai sonjai' as in 'not interested.' To me the 'pop' (meet) thing makes it sounds like there's already a meeting set up and you don't want to go meet her. Imagining you're trying to explain to a friend or matchmaker type acquaintance I might say something like 'Mai sonjai puying tamngan ti bar loei. Phom ke sonjai puying dii dii.' Basically, 'I'm not interested in meeting a bar girl at all. I'm only interested in good girls.' That should get things on the right track.

We could all give you more pointers if we knew the situation you're thinking of in more detail. I've had these conversations many times and went to give my list of good characteristics: smiles alot, smart, funny, ting-tong, jai dii, curvy, etc.... but all up to you here really.

Thanks realthaideal.

Well, the situation is that a close friend of mine is hooked up with a chick that he met in a bar. She's not exactly a take home for the night bar chick, but nonetheless was working there looking for a phalang. She is not rude or anything and I don't want to avoid my friend because it's not often you meet someone who turns out to be a close friend.

But it sh!ts me off to no end when we go and play pool at that bar, and she tells me some other chick that she used to work with who is there (who is dodgy - they all are there) is interested in me. I want to say in a very direct, but not rude way, that I don't want a hooker or any dodgy chick that is looking for a guy cuz he is white, rich, or just to fck.

So .... if u have any advice on being as direct and clear as possible without being rude, let me know.

By the way, when you said 'Phom ke sonjai puying dii dii' ... what does the 'ke' mean?

Hey ... just started learning thai again and my dictionary has multiple meanings for some words, so I was wondering if someone could tell me with english characters (i can figure out from the dict the correct pronouciation) the words for:

Cheers for any info

hey wizzard,

you've gotten some good info already, just to clear up the 'sex worker' vocab:

poo ying khai dtua = woman selling her body

poo ying khai bawrigarn = woman selling her services

poo ying ha gin = lit. woman seeking a living

mia chao = lit. partner for rent

poo ying ka praweni = lit. woman trading in sex (formal)

poo ying yang wa = lit. 'that' kind of woman

as for what you should tell your friend's partner to (it seems to me) say that you don't want to meet a girl like her, i cannot imagine how you could even say that in english without risking offense. maybe you could just say 'thanks, but i don't want to be set up, i'd rather just meet someone for myself and let a relationship develop naturally'. if you agree, we could try to find a thai version of this.

all the best.

Why would you want to imply that the girl is trying to get you a hooker? which in itself could affend. Why not just make the conditions impossible, one way is the old favourite of 'ow phuchai' but they sometimes act on that and your stuck. "phuwen khun mi rot mai?" hopefuly she answers "my mi" and you can truthfully respond with "ow fen ti mi rot crap" no one is hurt she knows you are joking but also that you mean to choose your own friends. sorry for the phonetics. If she responds with "mi" then it might be worth meeting the girl. Best not to speak too directly in Thailand everybody deserves an escape route.

Edited by tgeezer

as for what you should tell your friend's partner to (it seems to me) say that you don't want to meet a girl like her, i cannot imagine how you could even say that in english without risking offense. maybe you could just say 'thanks, but i don't want to be set up, i'd rather just meet someone for myself and let a relationship develop naturally'. if you agree, we could try to find a thai version of this.

Well I won't say that I don't want to meet someone like her. That's a little too in-your-face.

I suspect that I can just say:

"mai sonjai phob (then listing on fingers) ser-pee-nii, poo-ying bang-kon waa yaak phob gik, waa yaak phob poo-chai ruai, waa yaak lap-nawn taw nan. kao jai mai?"

Followed by a stern "nere jai?" so she knows this is a moot point with me.

Does that actually make sense?

Why would you want to imply that the girl is trying to get you a hooker? which in itself could affend.

If a woman works there, she is looking for a white guy with money to support her. That's close enough to a hooker. I'm fine with talking straight as far as that particular point goes.

Why not just make the conditions impossible, one way is the old favourite of 'ow phuchai' but they sometimes act on that and your stuck. "phuwen khun mi rot mai?" hopefuly she answers "my mi" and you can truthfully respond with "ow fen ti mi rot crap" no one is hurt she knows you are joking but also that you mean to choose your own friends. sorry for the phonetics. If she responds with "mi" then it might be worth meeting the girl. Best not to speak too directly in Thailand everybody deserves an escape route.

I don't want to play games. I want it clear so she never offers me to meet another dodgy chick. I'm just too sick and tired (and disgusted really) of her trying to involve me with people in that lifestyle. If I'm going to hang out with my friend often, I want it clear as soon as possible so she cuts this sh!t out once and for all and will specifically think to NOT ask/tell me about some dodgy chick who tells her they are keen on meeting me.

Well I won't say that I don't want to meet someone like her. That's a little too in-your-face.

I suspect that I can just say:

"mai sonjai phob (then listing on fingers) ser-pee-nii, poo-ying bang-kon waa yaak phob gik, waa yaak phob poo-chai ruai, waa yaak lap-nawn taw nan. kao jai mai?"

Followed by a stern "nere jai?" so she knows this is a moot point with me.

Does that actually make sense?

Why would you want to imply that the girl is trying to get you a hooker? which in itself could affend.

If a woman works there, she is looking for a white guy with money to support her. That's close enough to a hooker. I'm fine with talking straight as far as that particular point goes.

Why not just make the conditions impossible, one way is the old favourite of 'ow phuchai' but they sometimes act on that and your stuck. "phuwen khun mi rot mai?" hopefuly she answers "my mi" and you can truthfully respond with "ow fen ti mi rot crap" no one is hurt she knows you are joking but also that you mean to choose your own friends. sorry for the phonetics. If she responds with "mi" then it might be worth meeting the girl. Best not to speak too directly in Thailand everybody deserves an escape route.

I don't want to play games. I want it clear so she never offers me to meet another dodgy chick. I'm just too sick and tired (and disgusted really) of her trying to involve me with people in that lifestyle. If I'm going to hang out with my friend often, I want it clear as soon as possible so she cuts this sh!t out once and for all and will specifically think to NOT ask/tell me about some dodgy chick who tells her they are keen on meeting me.

Yes that is quite clear apart from 'moot' ?

Seems a bit odd to hang out in "bar bia" and revile the girls who work there.

If one just wants to play pool, there are some very good poolhalls here - with real tables. The only money you'll lose is to the good pool players, some of whom also happen to be women.

If you wish to avoid engaging with females of dubious reputation and prefer to "hang out with your friend" simply say:

"Pom len peuon"

You will be spared the attentions of "Sopenee" and a whole new lifestyle - and community - will open to you.

Patrick

that's a good idea, to make it clear you're there to hang out with your friend. "pom len peuon" isn't quite right, if by 'len' you mean 'play'. you could say: 'pom ma pop peuan chery chery' ผมมาพบเพื่อนเฉย ๆ (i came to meet my friend and nothing else)

all the best.

If you wish to avoid engaging with females of dubious reputation and prefer to "hang out with your friend" simply say:

"Pom len peuon"

You will be spared the attentions of "Sopenee" and a whole new lifestyle - and community - will open to you.

Patrick

that's a good idea, to make it clear you're there to hang out with your friend. "pom len peuon" isn't quite right, if by 'len' you mean 'play'. you could say: 'pom ma pop peuan chery chery' ผมมาพบเพื่อนเฉย ๆ (i came to meet my friend and nothing else)

all the best.

Sorry - I really should not Post after a good dinner!

I was attempting to make a witticism; in Thai the words "len peuon" are a rather arch and slightly old fashioned way of saying "homosexual".

As were other PostersI was somewhat irritated that someone who goes to a bar to play Pool should be so high minded as to object to approaches by ladies of the night, that, plus an excellent wine, were at fault.

Patrick

I was attempting to make a witticism; in Thai the words "len peuon" are a rather arch and slightly old fashioned way of saying "homosexual".

As were other PostersI was somewhat irritated that someone who goes to a bar to play Pool should be so high minded as to object to approaches by ladies of the night, that, plus an excellent wine, were at fault.

Patrick

No need to apologize, patrick, i picked up the reference but, wrongly, assumed that you didn't mean to make it. Keep the witticisms coming, in that case!

all the best.

Patrick

We play pool at that particular bar because my friends gf has friends who work there so she can chat to them while we play.

I can live with the come-ons by hookers themselves, but when my friends gf - who I've known for some time through my friend - just never 'gets it' that I don't want her to set me up with this kind of girl, it starts to get on my nerves.

Don't blame food and alcohol for being an a-hole, it merely brings out the kind of person you actually are underneath.

"Pom len peuon"

Patrick

all the best.

Doesn't 'chery chery' mean to feel indifferent. 'ruu-suk chery chery' meaning to feel 'so-so' right?

Would 'pom ma pop peuan taw-nan' be teh same? If so, can you still explain the meaning of 'chery chery' here?

By the way, when you said 'Phom ke sonjai puying dii dii' ... what does the 'ke' mean?

Ke would mean 'only' แค่

Ahh cheers.

I hear there are a few ways to say only and I only learned 'taw-nan'. And I don't know the difference between each, but I should probably get around to learning them.

Doesn't 'chery chery' mean to feel indifferent. 'ruu-suk chery chery' meaning to feel 'so-so' right?

Would 'pom ma pop peuan taw-nan' be teh same? If so, can you still explain the meaning of 'chery chery' here?

'ruu-suk chery chery' meaning to feel 'so-so' right?

Depends on the context, 'so-so' is a possibility in some cases. It just means you do not feel one way or the other. If you are discussing whether you like something or not, or whether you would like to do something/go somewhere or not, it means 'Either way, I don't really care' or 'not too hot'/'average' [in the slang sense of 'average', not the mathematical term] (concerning for example a movie/actor/singer). So in those cases, when it is a value judgement, it signals indifference, and sometimes a lack of enthusiasm (listen to tone of voice and check body language).

'pom ma pop peuan taw-nan' = I came to see my friends only. ('exclusively for seeing my friends and not for other purposes')

'pom ma pop peuan choei choei' = I just came to see my friends. (not as strong focus on "only" seeing your friends and nothing else)

Does it make sense to use 'ke' and 'chery chery' together and say this?

'pom ke ma pop peuan chery chery'

Yep, that works.

I believe the better construction would be "pom ma pop kae peuan choei choei"

Although personally I think the "choei choei" is rather redundant.

Patrick

That is true - it is strictly not necessary.

However, I don't really believe in applying the razor blade principle to Thai unless one is writing mathematical formulas or instruction manuals; embellishment using extra words and elaborate expressions is not seen as stylistically ugly by most Thais, on the contrary it often seems to be encouraged.

Also, FWIW, perhaps not much, I am not too sure about 'pom ma pop kae peuan'. It rings strange to me. I would rather use another word to emphasize exclusivity, than 'kae'.

I might use 'pom ma phuea phop phuean yaang diao/thaonan' to achieve that effect.

The one WoO asked about; 'pom kae ma pop puean choei choei' sounds idiomatic to me (placing 'kae' in that position is common in the spoken language) even though it does not emphasize that he came ONLY to meet his friends and nobody else.

It sounds more like somebody apologizing or explaining themselves in response to somebody who is questioning them or being aggressive.