Food In Chiang Mai

cathyy

Moblog used to be here, still a ton of stuff there: http://chanchao.fotopages.com

Then I've been busy putting stuff on a site of my own where I have more control over things, but frankly it just ends up taking more time compared to the old format. Still the latest entries are here: http://food.netasia.org

I haven't done any recent updates due to being incredibly busy, visiting family and all, but two top places that I already have the pictures for and absolutely need to be included in any list of restaurants in Chiang Mai are The House on Moon Muang Road North of Thapae for Western food and Huan Huay Kaew for Thai food, just up the road to Doi Suthep where the Khru Bar Srivichai shrine is.

Cheers,

Chanchao

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the late 80's, early 90's, Jitlada restaurant in Los Angeles was "the" place for Thai cuisine. Just ask the current California governor (as well as many other big wigs in the LA area). But the Thai owners sold out in 1997, and returned to his home in Doi Saket. (I gathered all this from the menu, from talking to the very personable husband and wife owners, and from a friend from LA, who remembers Jitlada with fond memories.)

Well, they've recently converted part of their home into a restaurant, and the results are super. The chef from LA's Jitlada also returned to Doi Saket, and is part of this new restaurant. And this is, no doubt, why I've found the food SO good.

It's called "House of Palms," is open for lunch and dinner (except on Wednesdays), has ample parking on the restaurant property, and the prices are reasonable. Probably can only sit 15 couples, but I've never seen it overly crowded. No live music, and long term beer guzzlers are discouraged. Pretty locale amongst a pond and fountain - and of course many palm trees of various description.

Anyway, for those of us out Doi Saket way, this was a long overdue restaurant for good food, and a setting worthy of taking our out-of-town visitors to.

Approaching Doi Saket on the Chiang Mai-Chiang Rai highway, there's a store with a large "IMF" sign. Turn left here and go about 300 yards. Restaurant is on your left, surrounded by solid wall, with a gate you enter, which has "House of Palms" clearly visible (address: 162/6). (If you pass a Honda dealer on your left, you've gone about 50 yards too far past the IMF turn, so it's a double U-turn venture from there.)

I think the upscale Thais have discovered this place, based on the number of expensive cars and ironed hairdo's. But I've also seen a fair share of farangs in the place, most from the local surrounds.

On last visit I seem to remember what looked like a new joint on the main road going towards Rydges called "Chiangers and Bangers"....any comments?

Also anything on the U.N.Irish Pub/hole in the wall and where are they? :o

• 2 years later...

Back in the late 80's, early 90's, Jitlada restaurant in Los Angeles was "the" place for Thai cuisine. Just ask the current California governor (as well as many other big wigs in the LA area). But the Thai owners sold out in 1997, and returned to his home in Doi Saket. (I gathered all this from the menu, from talking to the very personable husband and wife owners, and from a friend from LA, who remembers Jitlada with fond memories.)

Well, they've recently converted part of their home into a restaurant, and the results are super. The chef from LA's Jitlada also returned to Doi Saket, and is part of this new restaurant. And this is, no doubt, why I've found the food SO good.

It's called "House of Palms," is open for lunch and dinner (except on Wednesdays), has ample parking on the restaurant property, and the prices are reasonable. Probably can only sit 15 couples, but I've never seen it overly crowded. No live music, and long term beer guzzlers are discouraged. Pretty locale amongst a pond and fountain - and of course many palm trees of various description.

Anyway, for those of us out Doi Saket way, this was a long overdue restaurant for good food, and a setting worthy of taking our out-of-town visitors to.

Approaching Doi Saket on the Chiang Mai-Chiang Rai highway, there's a store with a large "IMF" sign. Turn left here and go about 300 yards. Restaurant is on your left, surrounded by solid wall, with a gate you enter, which has "House of Palms" clearly visible (address: 162/6). (If you pass a Honda dealer on your left, you've gone about 50 yards too far past the IMF turn, so it's a double U-turn venture from there.)

I think the upscale Thais have discovered this place, based on the number of expensive cars and ironed hairdo's. But I've also seen a fair share of farangs in the place, most from the local surrounds.

....and.....

anyway place near me called Davids Kitchen and another eating joint further along the road at (from memory ) Thanon Lodge......heard good reports ...anyone tried it/them.....? :o

....and.....

anyway place near me called Davids Kitchen and another eating joint further along the road at (from memory ) Thanon Lodge......heard good reports ...anyone tried it/them.....? :o

I heard that David's Kitchen had closed a couple of months ago.

Hey Cathyyyyy. I know I always see you in the food pgs, you don't live in CM do you ? There's a ton of great food here and I'll even be posting some of my own food pix on a site soon too. I'm really excited to do that.

And I didn't know about Chanchao's site b4 so thanks for the heads up. I wished I'd met him the other night at the big Tusker's party but somehow we missed each other in passing. As far as losing your bookmarks goes, I just had this happen to me to when I recently had my C drive reformatted. Little did I know that Firefox- you do know about Firefox, right ? It rules! - has a little program you can install called Foxmarks. It's super easy, and it somehow, somewhere maintains a list of all of your topics folders and bookmarks. It's easy to install and easy to use. I synch it up with my bookmarks maybe every couple weeks or so, as every couple days it seems there's something amusing or intelligent I'd like to find again. Let me know if you give it a try.

....and.....

I heard that David's Kitchen had closed a couple of months ago.

I tried to book there a few weeks ago and got no response. So they may be as you say, closed.