Propogating Dragonfruit

Crossy

We have a Dragonfruit plant (in a pot), it's growing well (actually it's rampant) and we've had several fruit (they're the nice red variety).

I'd like to take cuttings, can I just cut segments off and stick them in the ground? Pretty well eveything else I've done like this has worked (even the sticks that hold up trees start sprouting), just wondered if there's anything else I need to do to help it on its way :o

We have a Dragonfruit plant (in a pot), it's growing well (actually it's rampant) and we've had several fruit (they're the nice red variety).

I'd like to take cuttings, can I just cut segments off and stick them in the ground? Pretty well eveything else I've done like this has worked (even the sticks that hold up trees start sprouting), just wondered if there's anything else I need to do to help it on its way :o

hello crossy

i have quite a lot of dragon fruit,as you know they have a beautiful flower

for a couple of hours during the night then the flower dies in the morning,the fruit is

delicious.

you are supposed to build a concrete scaffold,one 2 metre concrete pipe(maybe 100baht)

put in the ground 30cm i also fill the 30 cm with concrete for more weight,then take 4 cutting

the bigger the better from your pot and put them in a moist plastic bag with compost etc,

when they start to sprout roots plant them around the concrete pipe and help them as they grow

by tieing the paper like string you can buy in all different coulours for 5 baht a roll.

when they have grown to the top of the pipe put a concrete square top about 70cm square

(easy to make yourself) and make 4 nail holes in the pipe and secure with wire,

the first one i put in my garden was 3 years ago,ive had over 30 kilo of fruit from this one

this year i will trim it down this year and replant more with the cutting

Can you post a pic soap?

Hi sbk,

Dragonfruit is not self supporting and needs to grow on a tree or something else that can supprt its weight. Most commercial growers set it up like this:

http://reddragonfruits.blogspot.com/2007/0...s-concrete.html

Usually a cement post with 1 section of dragonfruit limb on each side. You have to tie it to the post till it reaches high enough to be supported by the cement frame that you attach to the top of the post. Once it grows out over the frame, the frame will support the weight of the plant. I have seen some home growers use a bicycle wheel at the top instead of the cement frame. That should be sufficient for non commercial applications.