Motorbike Accident In Chaweng

Isabel

Hi there,

Wanted to know if anybody has more info on what hapenend last night in Chaweng. My friend from Samui died in a motorbike accident.( an English men called Dave) I got an email this morning saying that he was in a collising withan other bike, a thai person who is still in hospital.

Its another sad case of a fatal bike accident in Samui!

Dave will be sadly missed!

RIP!

Pompey Dave was one of lifes real "nice guys"

He always had a smile on his face and not a bad word for anyone.

He will be sadly missed by all.

R.I.P

Agreed - real nice guy. Totally shocked when I heard this morning. Someone you have known and liked for a long time, suddenly gone. Sympathy to Lawrence and his Mum.

I know it is too soon, but as and when anyone has information on the funeral, please post.

R.I.P. Dave.

The place where im kind of a regular is across from where Dave worked as a manager. I´ve seen Dave e few times every month for the last year and a half since he went for a drink and a quick chat on his little 10 min brakes from work. I`ve talked alot with him and we knew eachother by face. Just 5-6 days ago we shook hands and share the names. Kind of "hey, by the way, seen you alot but was is your name!". So just learned that it was Dave, and now he is dead. Very strange feeling.

Very good guy, im sure he will be missed by alot of people.

R.I.P

Funeral at the Wat on the Chaweng Ring Road just south of Tesco,

Wednesday from about 12.30 - 13.00 I believe.

Wake at Secret Garden in Bangrak also on Wednesday from 18.30.

I am one of Daves best mates back here in the UK. Unfortunately I cannot get a flight that will get me there in time for his funeral and am as you can imagine very gutted. Is there a way that I can mark my respects to Dave, his family and friends similar to sending flowers with a card as we do in the west and if so, does anyone have some details of who can arrange this? Your help would be much appreciated in this.

Jim

I am one of Daves best mates back here in the UK. Unfortunately I cannot get a flight that will get me there in time for his funeral and am as you can imagine very gutted. Is there a way that I can mark my respects to Dave, his family and friends similar to sending flowers with a card as we do in the west and if so, does anyone have some details of who can arrange this? Your help would be much appreciated in this.

Jim

jim , ring me on 66-0872693441

PompeyNick

Jim

jim , ring me on 66-0872693441

PompeyNick

Nick,

It was an absolute pleasure talking to you and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your help in arranging things. You can imagine my frustration in not being able to see my best buddy off properly and it is the kindness of people like yourself that make this difficult time that bit easier. Give Midge and Pops (Graham, Daves dad) a hug for me.

For anyone else reading this, go and have a drink in the PFC bar as this guy is a top bloke. If you ever need Anything over here then you let me know, I can be contacted at [email protected].

Cheers mate,

Jim

Unfortunately I heard that alcohol was involved. For people driving here without helmet drunk, the collector can come any night. Every year it comes closer that you know personally a nice guy who lost his life in a motorbike accident. In my case that happened already 4 years ago.

With the roads being as nasty as they are its just game with your life everytime you shoot the streets with too many promilles and too many kilometers per hour. I didn't know Dave personally but as anyone else around I feel symphaty for the people close to him...

R.I.P

Unfortunately I heard that alcohol was involved. For people driving here without helmet drunk, the collector can come any night. Every year it comes closer that you know personally a nice guy who lost his life in a motorbike accident. In my case that happened already 4 years ago.

With the roads being as nasty as they are its just game with your life everytime you shoot the streets with too many promilles and too many kilometers per hour. I didn't know Dave personally but as anyone else around I feel symphaty for the people close to him...

R.I.P

Whilst I appreciate your sympathy and understand the danger of drink driving, I suggest that you get the facts before passing judgement. Dave may have drunk that night and may not. But a brother, a lover, a friend and son he was, so if you have nothing good to say, say nothing.

Also, I do hope that "too many promilles" is not a drug reference, as Youngy could not stand drugs. I hope to stand corrected on this from you and respectfully ask that you take into account the feelings of people who were close.

Regards,

Jim

R.I.P

Whilst I appreciate your sympathy and understand the danger of drink driving, I suggest that you get the facts before passing judgement. Dave may have drunk that night and may not. But a brother, a lover, a friend and son he was, so if you have nothing good to say, say nothing.

Also, I do hope that "too many promilles" is not a drug refer ence, as Youngy could not stand drugs. I hope to stand corrected on this from you and respectfully ask that you take into account the feelings of people who were close.

Regards,

Jim

JUDGEMENT? I wasn't quite sure should I even answer your reply. Fact is that he WAS drinking booze with my friend 2 am the night when accident occurred. Is that my bad? Providing facts that someone asked.

Who wants to put anything under casing...? As a matter of fact it could be you or me next time.

Promilles are related to alcohol... not drugs.

Lastly - I am the last guy on this island to disrespect a lovable guy. I dont know how your logic works but mine works. And I cheer people who have generated work, gained respect and certain status in a community thousand miles away from his home....

Dave or Uncle Dave as most people new him was one of the good ones. I know, I worked with him and counted his amongst my few friends.

People who met him instantly liked his easy relaxed manner and he was extremely popular. He was an honest gentleman who would go out of his way to help others.

There were no witnesses to this tragic accident so please let us not speculate on the cause.

Our thoughts and sympathies go out to the family, girlfiriend and friends of Uncle Dave, he will be sadly missed. We were all richer for having known him.

Let us also pray for the Thai gentlemen involved in the accident and wish him a full and speedy recovery.

Happy the man, and happy he alone

he who can call today his own.

He who secure within can say

tomorrow do thy worst for I have lived today.

Be fair or foul, or rain or shine

the joys I have possessed in spite of fate are mine.

Not heaven itself upon the past has power

for what has been has been and I have had my hour.

RIP Uncle Dave

Moouan wrote:

There were no witnesses to this tragic accident so please let us not speculate on the cause.

How do you know? Is not the Thai man in hospital a witness?

Talk about speculating... :o

Oh, and we have an eye witness having the deceased consuming alcohol at 2 in the morning on the day of the incident. While that doesn't in and of itself mean alcohol was the cause, it does provide information. No one is blaming anyone at this stage, be it the poor roads, speed, liquor or either of the drivers.

The reason I would like to know the particulars is that I have been on the same road many times and have never seen anything inherently dangerous, other than the occasional Thai youths speed-racing. Whatever the cause, it should stand as a caution to the rest of us.

I should mention for those who are not familiar with Samui at night, one thing you have to remember is that after midnight or so, you can safely assume that nearly every vehicle that you meet on the road will be motored by someone under the influence of alcohol. And after 2am you can be fairly certain that close to everyone has imbibed to some degree.

Samui driving should always be "slow and sure," be it day or night, but at night particularly so.

R.I.P

Also, I do hope that "too many promilles" is not a drug refer ence, as Youngy could not stand drugs. I hope to stand corrected on this from you and respectfully ask that you take into account the feelings of people who were close.

Regards,

Jim

JUDGEMENT? I wasn't quite sure should I even answer your reply. Fact is that he WAS drinking booze with my friend 2 am the night when accident occurred. Is that my bad? Providing facts that someone asked.

Who wants to put anything under casing...? As a matter of fact it could be you or me next time.

Promilles are related to alcohol... not drugs.

Lastly - I am the last guy on this island to disrespect a lovable guy. I dont know how your logic works but mine works. And I cheer people who have generated work, gained respect and certain status in a community thousand miles away from his home....

Well whatever the case, I am someone that knew Dave and whatever the circumstances I am a grieving friend. Sometimes things that people put down in the written word can come across as insensitive and my apologies if that is not the case. A previous post mentions the Thai person in the accident, does anyone have any details on how he is doing?

I must have known this guy. I cant recall him at the moment but i did live on Samui for a few years recently and i would be amazed if i had not met him a few times. Could anyone jog my memmory? Where he worked, hung out....?

This kind of thing realy is so sad. It can happen to any of us, at any time.... regardless of time of day. I am sincerely sorry for his friends and family.

Does anyone know what became of that young fella from Birmingham.... Matt? Apparently he killed one or two Thais while driving a car early hours on the way out of Solo Bar.... fled the scene and went into hiding as he was on a long overstay? This was maybe 18 months ago. The police were looking for him, went to his house and took his passport and intended to lock him up for a heck of a long time if and when they found him. I wonder what became of him?

Matt? Apparently he killed one or two Thais while driving a car early hours on the way out of Solo Bar.... fled the scene and went into hiding as he was on a long overstay? This was maybe 18 months ago. The police were looking for him, went to his house and took his passport and intended to lock him up for a heck of a long time if and when they found him. I wonder what became of him?

This could be the case where there was intense packing happening next to Sound around 3-4 o'clock AM? Could have been that 18 months ago. Trashed up dark (could have been BMW) car was being loaded with trophys other small stuff. Guys were all exicted and motobike taxi drivers dried to calm down these people letting them know that they were on their side and also letting bystanders to keep their mouths shut.

"Car was damaged while being cleaned". Right. It did look that someone had rolled from bonnet to its roof. These fellows definetily were in a hurry to catch the first ferry.

No knowledge of the outcome thought.