Thai Generals Salary

Lelipad

I don't know how much they earn, however i know that these people are usualy on the board of directors for many private companies and get paid by these companies for that reason.

A kind of security policy to stop others messing with the business.

Edited by Chloe82

Like most "players" here, they have their fingers in every pie going. They load up state companies with their unqualified dinosaur pals too. It's sometimes an utter nightmare doing business with the likes of EGAT, PTT, Bangchak, etc.

Dead Wood Inc. :o

The first thing he did after the coup was give himself and the people around him a nice pay raise. He makes between 100,000 and 120,000 Baht per month. Of course this does not include the goodies and freebies he gets from everyone and everywhere :o

Edited by Flow

I remember when I was a 'player' myself living amongst some BKK Thai Generals in Ari...... I would be flagging down the local motosai in the pissing rain trying desperately to get to my non air-con classroom on time for a day of fun, while his Burmese maids (note plural) would be out washing down his four cars in his gated mansion.

If reincarnation is real PLEASE LET ME COME BACK AS A THAI GENERAL ! !! !

:o

what if the generals read this forum and take down yr ip address.

ROFLMAO - good one

This is a country where all the techies at the Comms Industry had to block the whole of YouTube because they could not figure out how to block individual pages even after Google had told them how :o

But remember these figures pale by comparison to the amounts I have seen published to get elected to Office in USA.

Yes legal donations and publicly declared (I can not beleive i am defending the US system :o )

I am sure in most advanced democracies military types have to wait until retirment before taking up posts on the board of companies etc!

Its the sign of a banana republic where they do - and have regular coups too :D

To the OP:

Might we inquire as to the source of your information? The articles I've read quote less than half that total...

Not the OP but according to the Nation
Deputy Prime Minister Sonthi Boonyaratglin and his two wives have combined assets worth Bt121.7 million.

The three have their asset statements filed to the National Counter Corruption Commission after Sonthi became a Cabinet member.

Sonthi stated that he owns Bt38.79 million worth of assets and his first wife, Sukanya Boonyaratglin, has Bt41 million worth of assets. His another wife, Piyada Boonyaratglin, has Bt42 million worth of assets, including bank accounts, houses and plots of land.

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont and his wife now own Bt91 million worth of assets.

In his financial statement submitted to the National Counter Corruption Commission after he took the post of interior minister on October 5, Surayud stated that he now has Bt24 million worth of assets.

His wife, Thanpuying Jittrawadee, has Bt67 million worth of assets.

Link 1

Link 2

/edit format//

Edited by A_Traveller

Amusing anecdotes, speculations, and guesses... does anyone know the real answer to the OP's question?

The real answer has alreasdy been told.

which one?... the "I believe" one or the "I heard" one? :o

Does anyone have documentation to support what a general's salary is?

Edited by sriracha john

Most people in politics come from families with money. This is most obvious in America where Presidential candidates are all worth tens of millions of dollars and John Kerrys' wife is tfrom a family worth billions despite the modest salary of their political position... So it is silly to assume that all of that money came from corruption, although given the nature of politics some of it probably did.

BTW, these men are likely worth much more than what was quoted.

Edited by TonyLeung

The following is from The Nation dated Wed, November 8, 2006. There's an embedded graphic in the link as well. These are the salaries approved for members of the CNS, NLA, CDA, CT & AEC.

A decree passed yesterday stipulated salaries for members of five junta agencies, including the ruling Council for National Security (CNS).

According to Prime Minister's Office Minister Khunying Dhip-avadee Meksawan, the decree covers the CNS along with the National Legislative Assembly, the Assets Examination Committee, the Constitution Drafting Assembly and the Constitution Tribunal.

CNS chairman and coup leader General Sonthi Boonyaratglin gets a salary of Bt119,220 per month.

His deputy Air Chief Marshal Chalit Phukphasuk will receive Bt113,640 and the other CNS members Bt109,560.

The salary for National Legislative Assembly chairman Meechai Ruchuphan is Bt115,920, while his two deputies take home Bt110,390. The other 97 members' get Bt104,330.

Assets Examination Committee boss Nam Yimyaem receives Bt108,500 a month and his 10 committee members Bt104,500 each.

When appointed, the chairman of the 100-member Constitution Drafting Assembly can expect Bt110,390 and his two deputies Bt106,390. Members will receive Bt104,330.

The Constitution Tribunal president will earn Bt114,000 and the vice president Bt109,500. Other judges will receive Bt104,500.

The decree becomes effective after publication in the Royal Gazette.

Dhipavadee revealed that the Cabinet did not consider claims that CNS members should not be paid.

Putting the payments into perspective, members of the National Peace-keeping Council - which grabbed power in the 1991 coup - were paid Bt20,000 a month, according to its spokesman General Chamlang Ouchukomol. He received Bt12,000 a month.

He said the relatively high salaries demanded junta leaders and their administrators have to work hard to justify such taxpayer expenditure.

Supreme Commander General Boonsrang Niumpradit, a CNS member, had not expected a monthly salary. However, CNS members acknowledged the money as part of government regulations, he said.

Piyanart Srivalo The Nation

An article in The Bangkok Post comments
Interviewed on the Cabinet's approval for a draft royal decree on remuneration for CNS and NLA, he {Finance Minister Pridiyathorn Devakula} said the matter stemmed from the Assembly's proposal seeking higher monthly salaries -- that the Cabinet lift their compensation to the same level as members of the previous Parliament had received.
AFAIK senior military salaries are not published here explicitly, though someone may know differently

Regards.

/edit + senior//

Edited by A_Traveller

what if the generals read this forum and take down yr ip address.

Then they can suck my big sphynx of quartz.

I mean, what's the worst that can happen? They can throw you out of the country right? Well I wouldn't want to live in a country where I couldn't speak my mind freely anyways, so not much lost.

Edited by chanchao