Australian Marrying In Thailand

After searching the forums for quite a while and reading many posts from other members, i still cannot work out if my Thai Fiancee needs the paper from her home saying she is single....After reading posts from other aussies they have said all they needed was theyre passport, and all the girl needed was her Book for her home address, her ID card and thats it...do i need this bit of paper...if so she has to fly from phuket back to Nong Kahi and she is heavily pregnant...and we really want to get married before the baby is born to avoid further complications in making me become the legal father...any advice much appreciated!!!

Hi

My wife did not need the paper you are refering too,we just took down her housbook ID card and the necessary stat decs(declaring that I had never previously been married/divorced etc.) from the Aussie embassy regarding myself,then went to the local Amphor all in all took about 30 minutes they gave us two marriage certificates in Thai(one each).

Hope this helps mate

http://www.thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/Consular_P4.html

Heres a link which may or may not help.

Goodluck

The piece of paper you are referring to is a Por Kor 14 which is a pro forma Statutory Declaration.

While it may not be needed, it wouldnt hurt to have one just to tie things up nicely. She merely needs to declare that she is free to marry and is not legally married to any other person. It can be witnessed at the amphur office.

It is no different to supplying a stat dec here in Oz.

The piece of paper you are referring to is a Por Kor 14 which is a pro forma Statutory Declaration.

While it may not be needed, it wouldnt hurt to have one just to tie things up nicely. She merely needs to declare that she is free to marry and is not legally married to any other person. It can be witnessed at the amphur office.

Thai ID card and house registration book is all she requires. She will have to obtain a new ID card with her married name (and a new passport at a later date). The ID card is linked to the passport. She will be asked in Thai at the Amphur Office if she is free to marry and this is documented on the proscribed form by the official carrying out the registration. All documents are in Thai.

However if you intend to be married in the future in Australia it might pay to get a Por Kor 14. and have it translated.

(In Australia you may have to get this document certified by DFAT. )

Thanks for all the info guys

Did you all do the process yourselves in BKK or did you pay an agent to help out...what do you recommend?

Although we want to save on costs we also dont want to be away from buisness in Phuket for too long.

Thai ID card and house registration book is all she requires. She will have to obtain a new ID card with her married name (and a new passport at a later date). The ID card is linked to the passport. She will be asked in Thai at the Amphur Office if she is free to marry and this is documented on the proscribed form by the official carrying out the registration. All documents are in Thai.

However if you intend to be married in the future in Australia it might pay to get a Por Kor 14. and have it translated.

I just recently got my Thai marrieage certificate translated in Oz. Funnily enough it couldnt be done here in Canberra but got sent to an authorised translation service in Melbourne. It was certified as a true translation but not by DFAT but a govt recognised organisation. This was all done in preparation for a govt job and it was readily accepted. I think its a handy document to have for the future.

Did you all do the process yourselves in BKK or did you pay an agent to help out...what do you recommend?

Although we want to save on costs we also dont want to be away from buisness in Phuket for too long.

You will have to go to the consular section of the Australian Embassy and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in person.

Did you not read this bit I have bolded, David....It is better to have too much than not enough.

You wont need a PK14 to marry in Oz...although I did take some to my celebrant when we did the Notification to Marry form, These were the forms that we used to get a tourist visa for her son not specifically for the wedding, but they did mention that she was not legally married to the father of the child...and it certainly doesnt need certification from DFAT.....They were translated in Thailand and stamped as true translations and certified copies.

She doesnt need to get a new ID card or Passport....she can retain her maiden name.

Just as an aside...to get the sons tourist visa...we werent required to get a letter from the father....the PK14's stood alone....Strange !!!

Edited by gburns57au

Using an agent can expedite things but it will cost you a heap and you will need to ensure that you get a good agent and not a shonky....doing it yourself can take longer but it will be a lot cheaper.

Did you not read this bit I have bolded, David....It is better to have too much than not enough.

You wont need a PK14 to marry in Oz...although I did take some to my celebrant when we did the Notification to Marry form, These were the forms that we used to get a tourist visa for her son not specifically for the wedding, but they did mention that she was not legally married to the father of the child...and it certainly doesnt need certification from DFAT.....They were translated in Thailand and stamped as true translations and certified copies.

She doesnt need to get a new ID card or Passport....she can retain her maiden name.

Just as an aside...to get the sons tourist visa...we werent required to get a letter from the father....the PK14's stood alone....Strange !!!

My circumstances were different in that I registered my Marriage in Thailand in accordance with the Civil and Commercial Code. The new ID card is a requirement under Thai Law. As my wife at the time was to visit Australia on 676 visa she only had 10 months left in her old passport so she obtained one of the new biometric passports. To obtain this she had to supply her current ID card.The number on the ID card does not change only the name.

This of course does not apply if you are in a defacto marriage.

Using an agent can expedite things but it will cost you a heap and you will need to ensure that you get a good agent and not a shonky....doing it yourself can take longer but it will be a lot cheaper.

You must visit the consular section of the Australian Embassy in person. This is a legal document that will be witnessed by one of the consular staff.They will supply the document.

It is possible under Thai Law to have documents certified at the MFA by a legal firm/translation agent. You give them "Power of Attorney" and a photocopy of your passport with your current visa. This of course they will charge you for, if you have the time do it yourself.

Is an appointment necessary to go to the Australian Embassy to get any docs witnessed come certified.

I believe the only document I need to present here is my Australian Divorce Certificate, so that I can use it later in my forth-coming marriage. Am I right in assuming that it is here at the embassy that I also do a stat dec as well to further verify my status?

Is an appointment necessary to go to the Australian Embassy to get any docs witnessed come certified.

I believe the only document I need to present here is my Australian Divorce Certificate, so that I can use it later in my forth-coming marriage. Am I right in assuming that it is here at the embassy that I also do a stat dec as well to further verify my status?

You should have not have to make an appointment to visit the Consular section of the Australian Embassy. Do not forget to take your passport with you. Security is tight and you will have to show your passport. Just state that you want to see the consular section. Mobile phones and cameras etc will be held at the security checkpoint. Get there early in the day.

Thanks David,

Don't know if all interested in this topic know that the "47SP" Application has been recently updated in October this year.

There is a new requirement that all new applicants must read or have someone help them understand a publication called "LIFE IN AUSTRALIA"

Haven't studied the new 47SP yet, but I believe the applicant must sign a box stating that they have read or had this booklet explained to them!

http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-australia...ook/index.htm#a

Thanks David,

Don't know if all interested in this topic know that the "47SP" Application has been recently updated in October this year.

There is a new requirement that all new applicants must read or have someone help them understand a publication called "LIFE IN AUSTRALIA"

Haven't studied the new 47SP yet, but I believe the applicant must sign a box stating that they have read or had this booklet explained to them!

http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-australia...ook/index.htm#a

John Howard brought this requirement in after he made his "Australian values, democracy and fair go statements. I was directed of couse at certain middle eastern nationalities. Explain the contents of the book the check the box.

Page 25 of the new 47SP, has an "Australian Values Statement" which needs the applicant to sign as having read the booklet, or have had someone explain the booklet.

Just another 42 pages of A4 to drag overseas and do the 'teacher thing' with.

Page 25 of the new 47SP, has an "Australian Values Statement" which needs the applicant to sign as having read the booklet, or have had someone explain the booklet.

Just another 42 pages of A4 to drag overseas and do the 'teacher thing' with.

I would not worry about it too much fishhooks as it applies to all visa applicant classes who intent to settle or work in Australia. And that includes Indian doctors from the UK from now on.

You may be able to obtain a copy in Thai. IMHO most of it is a waste of time what it really means is that all immigrants comply with Western Democratic Ideals as applicable to Australia. History is best forgotten, we live in the present.

My circumstances were different in that I registered my Marriage in Thailand in accordance with the Civil and Commercial Code. The new ID card is a requirement under Thai Law. As my wife at the time was to visit Australia on 676 visa she only had 10 months left in her old passport so she obtained one of the new biometric passports. To obtain this she had to supply her current ID card.The number on the ID card does not change only the name.

I have not heard anywhere where it is mandatory for the wife to take the husbands name....as in many countries it is an option for the wife in Thailand.

If she chooses to retain her maiden name then she doesnt require a new ID or Passport.

A timely remainder to those who will soon lodge applications....

Ensure you have the up to date forms.....the Immi website will have up to date forms...the migration pack may not.

Personal opinions aside.....If it is a requirement then it has to be done...no avoiding it....I can bet you that some questions pertaining to this book will asked at the interview...they will check to see if it has been read and not merely ticked and signed.

I dont think they would be in depth and complicated questions.....but there will be some.

I have not heard anywhere where it is mandatory for the wife to take the husbands name....as in many countries it is an option for the wife in Thailand.

If she chooses to retain her maiden name then she doesnt require a new ID or Passport.

As my wife was now legally married under Thai Law she was required to update this information to the database of her ID card at the Amphur Office. To do this a new ID card is issued. To obtain a new passport she must supply her ID card.

As my wife was now legally married under Thai Law she was required to update this information to the database of her ID card at the Amphur Office. To do this a new ID card is issued. To obtain a new passport she must supply her ID card.

Actually I have just found a link that supports your statement on the change of name after marriage, so I stand corrected on that...If the link from farang lawyers is correct.

It is a requirement to change the name within 60 days however no penalty is imposed if she doesnt...Sort of law that doesnt have any power....

So she keeps her maiden name and her old ID to get the new passport and although technically she is breaking the law...she wont be punished for it....is that right ??

If she changes her name to show she is married to a farang then she lose some of her rights as a Thai citizen

I read also that this law is expected to be changed at some time

Edited by gburns57au

Hmmm:

Am I jumping to conclusions, or does this name change subject open a new 'can of worms' for us?

I'm flying back to LOS tomorrow, with a lot of the application docs, particularly 888 forms completed pertaining to my Spouse's Thai family name.

We are going to do the official Amphur notification of marriage probably during this month December, and were going to apply for the Spouse Visa, early in January after a short 5 day trip to Singapore.

My wife, already holds a Thai Passport of course in her maiden name.

Actually I have just found a link that supports your statement on the change of name after marriage, so I stand corrected on that...If the link from farang lawyers is correct.

It is a requirement to change the name within 60 days however no penalty is imposed if she doesnt...Sort of law that doesnt have any power....

So she keeps her maiden name and her old ID to get the new passport and although technically she is breaking the law...she wont be punished for it....is that right ??

If she changes her name to show she is married to a farang then she lose some of her rights as a Thai citizen

I read also that this law is expected to be changed at some time

The law refers to land ownership, foreigners can not own land in Thailand but can own property.She loses no rights as a Thai citizen.

Hmmm:

Am I jumping to conclusions, or does this name change subject open a new 'can of worms' for us?

I'm flying back to LOS tomorrow, with a lot of the application docs, particularly 888 forms completed pertaining to my Spouse's Thai family name.

We are going to do the official Amphur notification of marriage probably during this month December, and were going to apply for the Spouse Visa, early in January after a short 5 day trip to Singapore.

My wife, already holds a Thai Passport of course in her maiden name.

When you apply for her visa make sure that the name she is travelling on is the same as her passport. Her visa will be issued in that name.

Being married and having passports under different names can cause problems in certain countries.

Thanks David,

But when you do the Amphur official marriage, isn't her ID 'immediately' changed, thus ID and Passport will not gel with each other.

So you end up with an ID as per new marriage and Australian Spouse Application and Passport still in her Maiden Name.

Or have I read earlier threads and topics wrongly in that the ID need not be immediately changed with a new marriage?

I will be in Thailand by Tuesday, so won't get back on here until then!

Thanks again all. The discussions over the last few weeks have I'm sure been right on-target for a lot of us.

Thanks David,

But when you do the Amphur official marriage, isn't her ID 'immediately' changed, thus ID and Passport will not gel with each other.

So you end up with an ID as per new marriage and Australian Spouse Application and Passport still in her Maiden Name.

Or have I read earlier threads and topics wrongly in that the ID need not be immediately changed with a new marriage?

I will be in Thailand by Tuesday, so won't get back on here until then!

Thanks again all. The discussions over the last few weeks have I'm sure been right on-target for a lot of us.

No it is not an immediate change on her ID, under the law she has 60 days to change it....if she doesnt then there is no penalty involved. A bit of a Claytons law...really.

The law refers to land ownership, foreigners can not own land in Thailand but can own property.She loses no rights as a Thai citizen.

The law we are talking about is the name change law on marriage...where does land ownership come into it??

She actually will lose some rights...not very big or even important rights but she will lose some.