Windows Xp Sp3 Rc1

Guest Reimar

Very Strange........ as possed before have tried 5 time to download this...

This morning the MS ballon popped up saying download undates ?

there was 1x update Windows Xp Sp3 Rc1 have clicked on download and it downloaded with no problems..

Did notice that direct from MS to my PC size was 108MB, [still took 2hr 23mins] Not the 136MB as on this post.

That's right but it's because the download was the files you didn't have already installed! This mainly applys for users with legitime Windows because there is an History about the already taken downloads! Otherwise the full size of SP3 is 336 MB!

On one Windows XP Home installation, which is running on one of our (older) notebooks, Windows XP with SP3 installed started to ask for activation (Seems I have 30 days left, hmm that was yesterday so 29 now). And the activation doesn't work of course as it comes back, understandable, with this Windows XP installation is already activated (after second try, this key was used more then intended..(or something similar).

For me no problem, we only use this notebook to tryout stuff and matter of fact we had some laughs about it...

It's easy to fix!

Just go to activate via phone and tell them that you installed SP3 before and they will give you an key for to type in!

That's is, IF YOU USE A LEGIT XP HOME VERSION!

Yes the version is fully legit, and we know how to fix it, but 11 in the evening we where not really in the mood to call anybody. But still would like to warn people what to expect....

It's easy to fix!

Just go to activate via phone and tell them that you installed SP3 before and they will give you an key for to type in!

That's is, IF YOU USE A LEGIT XP HOME VERSION!

Yes the version is fully legit, and we know how to fix it, but 11 in the evening we where not really in the mood to call anybody. But still would like to warn people what to expect....

Warning is fine but the should be like: 1. if use an Non-Legit version and 2. if the legit version was activated several times already!

On one Windows XP Home installation, which is running on one of our (older) notebooks, Windows XP with SP3 installed started to ask for activation (Seems I have 30 days left, hmm that was yesterday so 29 now). And the activation doesn't work of course as it comes back, understandable, with this Windows XP installation is already activated (after second try, this key was used more then intended..(or something similar).

And may you know how to fix that problem but your post wasn't look like that! 

It would be better to clearly write what's the problem and if there isn't one why post like that?! 

If I know how to solve something, I just will do it but NOT write something that looks like I don't know!

Typical Microsoft answer, if it didn't work as we predicted it is not our fault, and it is likely a not genuine Windows XP licensed user.

Second I give my personal comments on something, what didn't suppose to happen while upgrading to SP3 RC1.

And at last, I have the feeling I did not suggested, said or ventilated that I was unaware how to fix it, as I belief I even wrote "For me no problem" what can indicate that there is no problem....

Still the Service Pack 3 upgrade is a good improvement to memory management and notable improvement in starting "larger" programs.

Come on Richard-BKK, you know the drill and you even know how fast the Re-Activation is via call to MS if the version is legit! It's a matter of just 5 minutes on the phone to call the Support Center via Toll Free Phone number in Singapore!

I done this just before within 3 min. 20 sec. for an XP-Home of my customer which was activated more than 10 times (according to MS-SG!)! And it's now 23.00 and I'm not in the mood to do so but just done it because is finish now!

And at last, I have the feeling I did not suggested, said or ventilated that I was unaware how to fix it, as I belief I even wrote "For me no problem" what can indicate that there is no problem....

yes, you wrote : "For me no problem" but following by "we only use this notebook to tryout stuff and matter of fact we had some laughs about it..." which din't indicate that you know how to solve but says that you don't need to activate on this old Laptop because you use the Laptop for testing purpose only!

Typical Microsoft answer, if it didn't work as we predicted it is not our fault, and it is likely a not genuine Windows XP licensed user.

How MS can know that the version you try to activate is legit? Special if this version is activated several times already? They can't!

I don't like to activation sh*t but I do understand and from a view as Software Developer/Manufacturer pp. it is a must to check the legal status! And if someone tells me that a time invest of a few minutes is to much to just to show that I'm the legal owner of that License, some bells in my head starting ringing!!

Cheers!

Edited by Reimar

Still the Service Pack 3 upgrade is a good improvement to memory management and notable improvement in starting "larger" programs.

Yes, I can certainly second this statement.

Yet I was hoping for a bi-directional firewall so that I could dump ZoneAlarm, but alas - it was not to be.

opalhort

Edited by opalhort

Not everybody sees the hurry or the importances to start calling Microsoft 11 o'clock in the evening, if the warning is "Activate within 30 days"

Come on Richard-BKK, you know the drill and you even know how fast the Re-Activation is via call to MS if the version is legit! It's a matter of just 5 minutes on the phone to call the Support Center via Toll Free Phone number in Singapore!

I done this just before within 3 min. 20 sec. for an XP-Home of my customer which was activated more than 10 times (according to MS-SG!)! And it's now 23.00 and I'm not in the mood to do so but just done it because is finish now!

yes, you wrote : "For me no problem" but following by "we only use this notebook to tryout stuff and matter of fact we had some laughs about it..." which din't indicate that you know how to solve but says that you don't need to activate on this old Laptop because you use the Laptop for testing purpose only!

How MS can know that the version you try to activate is legit? Special if this version is activated several times already? They can't!

I don't like to activation sh*t but I do understand and from a view as Software Developer/Manufacturer pp. it is a must to check the legal status! And if someone tells me that a time invest of a few minutes is to much to just to show that I'm the legal owner of that License, some bells in my head starting ringing!!

Cheers!

QUOTE: Come on Richard-BKK, you know the drill and you even know how fast the Re-Activation is via call to MS if the version is legit! It's a matter of just 5 minutes on the phone to call the Support Center via Toll Free Phone number in Singapore!

Even so it is a big performance and very difficult for lots of people... 5mins HAHAHAHA took at least 20 - 30 mins..

Friend tried for a week, in the end I had to phone and then try to relay all the differet numbers both ways to my friend...

Maybe they do not want people in Thailand to have the legit MS?

Not every Thai speaks or understands Singaporean English, There was no one at MS Support that spoke Thai...

What's the point of Microsoft still forcing XP users to activate anyway? All it does is check if the key could be legitimate and because of that it's rather easy to generate keys that activate properly. At this point all it does is annoy legitmate users.

As I understand it, it's only WGA that actually checks to see if the key has been assigned by MS...

QUOTE: Come on Richard-BKK, you know the drill and you even know how fast the Re-Activation is via call to MS if the version is legit! It's a matter of just 5 minutes on the phone to call the Support Center via Toll Free Phone number in Singapore!

Even so it is a big performance and very difficult for lots of people... 5mins HAHAHAHA took at least 20 - 30 mins..

Friend tried for a week, in the end I had to phone and then try to relay all the differet numbers both ways to my friend...

Not every Thai speaks or understands Singaporean English, There was no one at MS Support that spoke Thai...

May you didn't read my other post?! 3 min. 20 sec. to activate a multi activated XP Home via MS-Support Singapore (001 - 800 - xxxx....) done with an very well english speaking but ThaI Lady!

It looks like you never done the reactivation by phone otherwise you know how it works! If you have you should know that the Support Staff are Thais if you choose Thailand as the activating Country!

Cheers!

What's the point of Microsoft still forcing XP users to activate anyway? All it does is check if the key could be legitimate and because of that it's rather easy to generate keys that activate properly. At this point all it does is annoy legitmate users.

As I understand it, it's only WGA that actually checks to see if the key has been assigned by MS...

That's if you actovate the first time. But with reactivation it's different.

You need to subbmit the Computer ID (a long number sentences, 6 number parts) and you'll get back a new ID which activate the computer again. If you already activated the same KEY several times, you need to talk to the Staff and explain them what's happen and they'll give you a new ID!

What they really doing is to compare your Computer ID with the existing Database to compare the used CD-Key and they will even ask you for a name which should macht the name from an activation before.

No big deal and I've never problems with even multi activated systems! And I never was used more than 5 min and yesterday I was counting 3 min. 20 sec. and that's ok for me. Even the call is free of charge if use the Toll Free Number!

Cheers.

May you didn't read my other post?! 3 min. 20 sec. to activate a multi activated XP Home via MS-Support Singapore (001 - 800 - xxxx....) done with an very well english speaking but ThaI Lady!

It looks like you never done the reactivation by phone otherwise you know how it works! If you have you should know that the Support Staff are Thais if you choose Thailand as the activating Country!

Cheers!

My Thai friend phoned for a week, there was never a Thai speaker there when he phoned!!!!!!, when I phoned the lady spoke very good English, we did all the sets of numbers each way, all the time I was on the mobile to my friend, 1st getting the 6 sets from my friend, then reading them out to Support, they questioned a few things... which I had to ask my friend then relay that info, she then gave me another load of numbers, again had to pass this on to my friend, it took a long time, but in the end it was activated... I did ask if there was anyone there that spoke Thai, she said NO, not at this time was 9am..

Cheers!

My Thai friend phoned for a week, there was never a Thai speaker there when he phoned!!!!!!, when I phoned the lady spoke very good English, we did all the sets of numbers each way, all the time I was on the mobile to my friend, 1st getting the 6 sets from my friend, then reading them out to Support, they questioned a few things... which I had to ask my friend then relay that info, she then gave me another load of numbers, again had to pass this on to my friend, it took a long time, but in the end it was activated... I did ask if there was anyone there that spoke Thai, she said NO, not at this time was 9am..

There 6 number parts and 9 sets of numbers!!!!!

To first you need to choose the Country where you want to activate the OS!

If you call via the Toll Free Number (001 - 800 - ............) need to first choose the Langauge (Thailand use Thai and English). After taht you need to key in the Computer ID and then they will give 1.: a new ID or 2. if the OS was activated with the same Key several times, let you choose to insert a new CD-Key or by Telephone to the support! And here is where 24 /7 Thai people on the phone if you choose Thailand as activating Country!

In the past 5 year I had re-activated Windows, different OS's, several hundreds times and every time there was Thai's on the other end of the l8ine (in Singapore)!

And you was just taken what I wrote ""(a long number sentences, 6 number parts)"" and say 6 sets of numbers instead of the real existing 9 sets!!!!

And If you spoke to the support, your OS was activated several times before or it wasn't a legit Key!

I kow how often you can activate a Windows without to talk to the Support and I even know from what point you need to talk to the support! I done this "Game" so many times, better not try to explain what can't be!!

Cheers!

Cheers!

There 6 number parts and 9 sets of numbers!!!!!

To first you need to choose the Country where you want to activate the OS!

If you call via the Toll Free Number (001 - 800 - ............) need to first choose the Langauge (Thailand use Thai and English). After that you need to key in the Computer ID and then they will give 1.: a new ID or 2. if the OS was activated with the same Key several times, let you choose to insert a new CD-Key or by Telephone to the support! And here is where 24 /7 Thai people on the phone if you choose Thailand as activating Country!

In the past 5 year I had re-activated Windows, different OS's, several hundreds times and every time there was Thai's on the other end of the line (in Singapore)!

And you was just taken what I wrote ""(a long number sentences, 6 number parts)"" and say 6 sets of numbers instead of the real existing 9 sets!!!!

And If you spoke to the support, your OS was activated several times before or it wasn't a legit Key!

I kow how often you can activate a Windows without to talk to the Support and I even know from what point you need to talk to the support! I done this "Game" so many times, better not try to explain what can't be!!

Cheers!

PS: by the way, the point I can exactly tell how long it was take yesterday was because I was Re-Activating a Cutomer Computer just to check the time because Richard_BKK wrote it need to long time and I stopped the time from starting to talk to the Support at SG until I was hang up the phone! But it never took more than 5 minutes all the times I was activating or reactivating!

Edited by Reimar

You need to subbmit the Computer ID (a long number sentences, 6 number parts) and you'll get back a new ID which activate the computer again. If you already activated the same KEY several times, you need to talk to the Staff and explain them what's happen and they'll give you a new ID!

What they really doing is to compare your Computer ID with the existing Database to compare the used CD-Key and they will even ask you for a name which should macht the name from an activation before.

No big deal and I've never problems with even multi activated systems! And I never was used more than 5 min and yesterday I was counting 3 min. 20 sec. and that's ok for me. Even the call is free of charge if use the Toll Free Number!

Cheers.

My main point was that XP's product activation is ineffective as copy protection and only really gets in the way of legit users. Your explanation, and my experience with re-activation, just re-inforces what I said. Because I'm using a legit copy I need to phone home to MS and justify/explain why I'm re-installing my own OS. I've switched PCs many times and also went through a set of bad motherboards that required many installs. Now I need to activate by phone instead of internet and play the number game with phone support.

Someone who wasn't concerned with having a legit copy would simply change the WinXP product key, or use a patch to activate Windows instead, and go about their business. The whole activation process just doesn't do much of anything to prevent piracy at this point. Sure it's just a few minutes out of our day to call in our activation, but if it's not effective for its original purpose then it seems rather pointless.

No idea where the number is he gave me, but he has legit Thai XP.

Still have the paper I wrote the numbers on.......... 16 sets of 3 numbers.

In the real it's 9 sets of 6 numbers = 54 in total which didn't correspond with your 16 set of 3 numbers which are total 48!! and that's for all Windows versions the same: 9 sets, each 6 numbers!

The XP Home I re-activated yesterday is an Thai Version (OEM) XP Home incl. SP 2!

Cheers.

My main point was that XP's product activation is ineffective as copy protection and only really gets in the way of legit users. Your explanation, and my experience with re-activation, just re-inforces what I said. Because I'm using a legit copy I need to phone home to MS and justify/explain why I'm re-installing my own OS. I've switched PCs many times and also went through a set of bad motherboards that required many installs. Now I need to activate by phone instead of internet and play the number game with phone support.

Someone who wasn't concerned with having a legit copy would simply change the WinXP product key, or use a patch to activate Windows instead, and go about their business. The whole activation process just doesn't do much of anything to prevent piracy at this point. Sure it's just a few minutes out of our day to call in our activation, but if it's not effective for its original purpose then it seems rather pointless.

You're right, that whole activation process is in the real useless! There so much hacks and cracks and copies out there it didn't make sense!

Use an original Software which force you to place an License sticker somewhere on the case! Normal that should be enough to to show that you're a legit user of that software.! So, for what the bullsh*t of activating and re-activating? I've my proof anyway that I'm a legal Licensee of that software, why need more?!

But it's funny how many "pros" outside there who even don't know how to do this easy job! 

One small problem with SP3... About 1 in 10 times after resuming from standby I must right-click and 'repair' the Wifi connection in order to restart the connection. Prior to SP3 it would always re-connect by itself. Anyone else have this problem?