Tough Customs Inspections Lately?

CBinParadise

Hi.

A couple of female friends (one middle aged, one college age) are coming to visit. They are bringing some of my (worn) clothing, vitamins, and about 6 cartons of cigs (serious low tar and nic, unavilable in Thailand).

What has been your recent experience with Thai customs?

1. Like it was at Don Muang = if you looked respectable, never got stopped

2. More frequent inspections, 50-50 chance of trouble

3. Draconian

How would you rate the current situation?

I'm quite willing to declare the cigs -- is that recommended, or will they just be taken away?

From my personal experience, in Thailand you collect your baggage from the luggage carousel and walk out of the terminal.

Unless you have a large number of bags per person, you are unlikely to be intercepted by Customs officers.

By all means, dress neatly and look 'pleasant.'

As an aside, Australia is one of the few countries where every passenger's luggage (cabin and checked) is xrayed before you are allowed to leave the airport.

Peter

From my personal experience, in Thailand you collect your baggage from the luggage carousel and walk out of the terminal.

Unless you have a large number of bags per person, you are unlikely to be intercepted by Customs officers.

By all means, dress neatly and look 'pleasant.'

Peter

Peter, sincere thanks, this is exactly the kind of info I was hoping for.

To avoid having you friends arrested and pay a large fine you could ask them to go trough the red channel and declare the cigarettes and pay duty. There is not a great risk to get done for this but you are putting your friends in this risk by asking them to smuggle ciggs for you.

It is not my intent to put my friends at risk. Please read the OP.

I am trying to give them the best possible data, so they can make their own informed decisions.

I did search this forum for "cigarettes" before posting, and found nothing.

I believe those who think it is possible to pay duty on the cigarettes are wrong.

The actual Thai regulations say you can bring in 2 cartons per person. Anything above that requires an import license.

There are no provisions I can find for paying duties on the excess. Possibly, people who THOUGHT they were paying duties were actually paying bribes.

Does anyone know WITH HIGH CONFIDENCE whether it is actually possible to bring in more than 2 cartons by paying duties?

It is not my intent to put my friends at risk. Please read the OP.

I am trying to give them the best possible data, so they can make their own informed decisions.

I did search this forum for "cigarettes" before posting, and found nothing.

I believe those who think it is possible to pay duty on the cigarettes are wrong.

The actual Thai regulations say you can bring in 2 cartons per person. Anything above that requires an import license.

There are no provisions I can find for paying duties on the excess. Possibly, people who THOUGHT they were paying duties were actually paying bribes.

Does anyone know WITH HIGH CONFIDENCE whether it is actually possible to bring in more than 2 cartons by paying duties?

Im not sure if you can pay duty if you bring in more than the allowed quantity but it works in many other countries.

By the way, the limit is one carton, 200 cigarettes.

yeah, read the thread about revenue people stopping you after you have come through customs and they do hammer you for duties, fines and then confiscate our ciggies too.

Non-smoking friend came through recently and he saw people still being stopped and searched.

Isn't it one of emperor tuds threads abt revnue people??

To be absolutely safe don't ask your friends to bring more than 200 cigarettes each (and don't have them all in one bag).

It's debatable whether they would be allowed to pay the duty on the excess if they declared them and if caught smuggling through the green channel, well, in this direction lies a world of hurt :o

My understanding is that declaring them isn't an option. The FCO's travel advice states that It is illegal to import more than 200 cigarettes per person into Thailand. The importation of more than 200 cigarettes will be met with a heavy fine and the confiscation of the cigarettes.

Edited by ClaytonSeymour

I flew back from Singapore late last Tuesday evening (it was around 11.15pm by the time I got my luggage) and everyone going through the green channel was having their luggage x-rayed. There seemed to be a large number of customs officials for the relatively light level of passengers coming through at that time of night. That's the first time I've seen that happening - everyone getting x-rayed - so perhaps they were looking for something or someone in particular ?

I have never been stopped by Thai customs but would never recommend anyone enter the Kingdom exceeding the stated allowances. Think of it this way, they are your friends would you deliberately put them in harms way just for a few lousy cigs? There are other threads documenting peoples woes when caught over the limit. The experiences range from the unpleasant and expensive to the draconian and very expensive.

on my first flight to the new airport, last year, everybody in the green channel was x-rayed - I would think there will be more checks since they have 40 scanners and are training the officers to use them.

It's not a routine, but a special measure run probably several times per week, to scare off arriving passengers.

on my first flight to the new airport, last year, everybody in the green channel was x-rayed - I would think there will be more checks since they have 40 scanners and are training the officers to use them.

It's not a routine, but a special measure run probably several times per week, to scare off arriving passengers smugglers.

Are there really 40 scanners on the customs gates? Never counted, but been x-rayed a couple of times over the last year or so.

Edited by Crossy

Since the New Airport has been in operation, I have never been stopped at customs, and have never been approached by anyone to inspect my bags, I have read on several different forums, there have been issues with people arriving, pass through customs, no inspection, and then they are approach, I have never had this happen to me, and I fly into Su-Wana-Poom every 3 months; from Dubai

I will relate a story from a friend who is in his 70's and has traveled here for more than 10 years several times a year. Recently (3 weeks ago or so) he arrived from his home Dublin Ireland via some Middle Eastern country where cigarettes are cheap (sorry I don't know his layover city).

He had bought 10 cartons there in addition to his normal single carton he brings from Ireland. When he arrived he was 'pinched' (his wording) by customs as was almost every person on the plane who had more than one carton. He was held for over 3 hours, finally photographed with the cigarettes in front of him on a table, and paid a 35,000 baht fine on the spot, as well as having the cigarettes confiscated. He mentioned people who were belligerent were ‘carted off somewheres else’ (again his words).

His accent is so thick I have difficulty understanding his english sometimes, but I am reasonably sure of the fine he was charged as it sounded like 'tirty-fi tousan baht' but had more an irish lilt to it.

I would give it a pass as it's not worth it for your friends should something go awry

• 3 weeks later...
I will relate a story from a friend who is in his 70's and has traveled here for more than 10 years several times a year. Recently (3 weeks ago or so) he arrived from his home Dublin Ireland via some Middle Eastern country where cigarettes are cheap (sorry I don't know his layover city).

He had bought 10 cartons there in addition to his normal single carton he brings from Ireland. When he arrived he was 'pinched' (his wording) by customs as was almost every person on the plane who had more than one carton. He was held for over 3 hours, finally photographed with the cigarettes in front of him on a table, and paid a 35,000 baht fine on the spot, as well as having the cigarettes confiscated. He mentioned people who were belligerent were ‘carted off somewheres else’ (again his words).

His accent is so thick I have difficulty understanding his english sometimes, but I am reasonably sure of the fine he was charged as it sounded like 'tirty-fi tousan baht' but had more an irish lilt to it.

I would give it a pass as it's not worth it for your friends should something go awry

coming through the other day, I noticed a sign written in three languages right at the customs point reminding people about duty free limits. One of the languages on the sign was arabic, which tells me they are targeting flights from that part of the world.

Hi.

A couple of female friends (one middle aged, one college age) are coming to visit. They are bringing some of my (worn) clothing, vitamins, and about 6 cartons of cigs (serious low tar and nic, unavilable in Thailand).

What has been your recent experience with Thai customs?

1. Like it was at Don Muang = if you looked respectable, never got stopped

2. More frequent inspections, 50-50 chance of trouble

3. Draconian

How would you rate the current situation?

I'm quite willing to declare the cigs -- is that recommended, or will they just be taken away?

never been stopped in 18 years and over 150 visits ! ,you should be ok,

Lots of first hand reports these days about people being stopped and fined heavily for bringing in cigarettes and the fines are often draconian - it's the new money making venture from Thai customs folks for 2007 onwards. Often the search/stop doesn't happen until the passenger has cleared customs and is stood having a quiet fag outside the terminal! I've been queried by uniformed customs/police in that same situation several times now but I don't bring cigarettes here from O/S so no problem.

I just bought a pack of Marlboro Lights in Aust. for 300+ baht, I can't see the duty free knocking the price down to 60 odd a pack that is charged at home.

Over the years I hav e never been stopped entering Thailand, even when I have declared home theatres etc that I have brought in always been waved through.

I came into The airport about 2 months ago where i was approached by one of the semi covert customs guys at the passport control, I had a Dubai duty free shopping bag with 1000 ciggies and 5 pouches of rolling tobacco (well over the limit) instead of taking them from me there and then he suggested that when i get to the baggage carousel i should put them in my hold luggage, ''fair enough'' i thought what a nice guy. At the carousel there was plenty of the customs guys hanging about which did'nt seem the norm also. I picked up my bags and packed the ciggies inside and then proceeded through nothing to declare with no problems. I linked up with my Girlfriend at the meet and greet area when i was approached by customs officials who took me to a nearby screen. The guy obviously saw the ciggies straight away and told me nicely that i was over the limit, I just played the dumb farang and told him i was unaware of the laws in LOS. My girlfriend was a bit ticked off however and i think due to the fact that we had'nt seen each other in a while she found this most intrusive, She gave him a sarcastic comment in Thai Bless her and he immediately replied in a polite manner ''Thankyou for respecting the laws of Thailand'' And i was sent on my way with my ciggies still with me. I had a very fortunate incident there but after reading some of the stories from other TV members i think i will stick to the misses perfume and the old mans rolling baccy. It doe's seem alot more rigid at the new airport as appossed to the good ol days with Don Muang.

I just bought a pack of Marlboro Lights in Aust. for 300+ baht, I can't see the duty free knocking the price down to 60 odd a pack that is charged at home.

Over the years I hav e never been stopped entering Thailand, even when I have declared home theatres etc that I have brought in always been waved through.

Its $10 or 330 Baht a carton on the sky shop on EVA airways. About 450 Baht carton in the Duty Free in Bangkok and about 1300 Baht a carton in the duty free in Heathrow!

And about 60 Baht a pack in the 7-11 in Thailand.

I don't bother bring cigarettes INTO Thailand as they're already so cheap. But when I go to the UK I pack every spare crevice in the suitcase with them.

I have checked with customs if you are allowed to bring in an excess amount of cigarettes or alcohol if you declare this at the red channel and pay duty for the excess amount.

The reply was that this is not permitted without prior permission from Revenue Department, if you don't have this permission you will have to surrender the excess amount.

They also said that if you don't declare the excess and walk through the green channel you could be fined four times the import duty and other taxes and the items will be seized.