Are U Sacrificing Anything?

radioguy1450

I have never been up north and know very little about CM but considering a move based on the few things I know.

So the question is, are you sacrificing anything by living in the North versus say Bangkok?

Specifically, how is the infrastructure? Are your utilities, internet, housing, etc... reliable and to your liking? And, are you able to buy the things you like? I assume a city the size of CM would have a Tesco or something similar and some western themed places.

thanks in advance

oh yea, onne more thing. Are u happy with your decision to live there?

Umm, there's two Tesco's, two Big C's, one Carrefour, one Home Pro, one Index Living Mall, one Robinson, one Central, two IT City's, one McDonalads, one Subway, one Burger King, two Fuji's, four Starbucks, four Rim Ping Supermarkets, four or five quality fitness centers, half a dozen five star hotels, a handful of good universities and international schools, an international airport and on and on. We're not exactly living in the jungle up here.

Edited by ChiangMaiThai

We have electricity, running water, sewerage systems, reasonable police, more ring roads and superhighways than we can count (no toll roads, yeah!), bars and restaurants, even the unmentionable businesses....and our traffic jams don't last half as long as Bangkok's. Some flights bypass BKK and go out of the country. We're close to several borders, have lots of indigenous Hill Tribe groups....our sidewalks are walkable...elephants only in tourist areas....flower gardens galore...a zoo and a night safari...one chain of bookstores now has 7 local outlets of English books, and two textbook stores for the Thais and the English teachers....the list goes on and on....excellent medical facilities, choices of good surgeons...often a five minute ride to countryside....cheaper housing....

The only thing about up here is that obviously it is a long way to the sea. Not that it bothers me much particularly, personally. I find the main difference to be that everything is kind of in walking distance (or nearly) whereas Bangkok for me is too overwhelming and large to try to get around.

I have a question though, last time I was here I remember there being a Boots store but I thought it was somewhere near the night market. Now there is one near Tapae.

Is there another one or did the other one get done away with?

Thanks.

Make that 2 Centrals. One is Central Airport Plaza, the other is Central Kad Suan Kaew. Of course one is usually referred to as Robinson and the other as Central which makes little sense to me as they are both controlled by Central Group (Thailand's largest mall holding company, I believe) and there's a Robinson in both right ? If not what's that big department store on several levels in KSK ? ANyway, have even made the mistake of agreeing to meet a Thai friend in front of the KFC at 'Centran' b4, thinking she meant Centran AP, and of course she was thinking of Centran KSK - each thinking of the one closest to ourselves. Showed up, waited about 15 minutes then called. Where are you ? I"m waiting for you at KFC. Her: Me too. But I not see you. Me: I'm here why you not see me? I'm in front of KFC. Where are you? Her: Yeah, I stand in front also, look for you. It went on like that for a good minute or two b4 we realized the mistake. Ha ha ha.

And of course Carrefouuuuu and The Tesco's n Big C's are virtual malls unto themselves as well. Plenty of room to park your buffalo or elephant too when you ride in.

What's the point again ? Oh yeah, the OP reminds me of a pic I showed my Mom of the town that I snapped when I went up to a visiting friend's room at the top of Rydges. I took a couple pics of the whole city cvista as I'm not usually up that high to get a good view of all the hustle and bustle. My Mom remarked that she saw there were tall buildings and lots of cars too. And telephone wires! I laughed my @rse off. She'd been fed some information by a cousin of mine who visited here in the late 60s about dirt roads n chickens. Not like you can't find that on a side trail out by Samoeng, but come on! If you can use the internet or pick up a travel guide you must know there's plenty of stuff here. (Like 3 bowling alleys even!) This question is beyond trolling or needing to use the search function. It's called using google or going to a bookstore.

Make that 2 Centrals. One is Central Airport Plaza, the other is Central Kad Suan Kaew. Of course one is usually referred to as Robinson and the other as Central which makes little sense to me as they are both controlled by Central Group (Thailand's largest mall holding company, I believe) and there's a Robinson in both right ? If not what's that big department store on several levels in KSK ? ANyway, have even made the mistake of agreeing to meet a Thai friend in front of the KFC at 'Centran' b4, thinking she meant Centran AP, and of course she was thinking of Centran KSK - each thinking of the one closest to ourselves. Showed up, waited about 15 minutes then called. Where are you ? I"m waiting for you at KFC. Her: Me too. But I not see you. Me: I'm here why you not see me? I'm in front of KFC. Where are you? Her: Yeah, I stand in front also, look for you. It went on like that for a good minute or two b4 we realized the mistake. Ha ha ha.

Isn't the department store in Airport Plaza called Robinson, while the one at KSK is Central?

Anyway, one thing you do miss out on compared to BKK is variety in people. Also, BKK is much more sophisticated and a lot more 'big business happening.

...one chain of bookstores now has 7 local outlets of English books, and two textbook stores for the Thais and the English teachers....

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Different point, but that made me remember that the Japanese book stores in Bangkok have a much wider selection than those in Chiangmai.

The only thing about up here is that obviously it is a long way to the sea. Not that it bothers me much particularly, personally. I find the main difference to be that everything is kind of in walking distance (or nearly) whereas Bangkok for me is too overwhelming and large to try to get around.

I have a question though, last time I was here I remember there being a Boots store but I thought it was somewhere near the night market. Now there is one near Tapae.

Thanks.

Anyone know about Boots? Boots Chemist?

Thanks.

The one at Thapae is still there and the one that was where the Pizza Hut/Burger King (previous locaction/KFC in the Night Bazaar at D2 is still part of the long going renovation post flood a couple of years ago.

CB

Thanks.

The one at Thapae is still there and the one that was where the Pizza Hut/Burger King (previous locaction/KFC in the Night Bazaar at D2 is still part of the long going renovation post flood a couple of years ago.

CB

Thanks CB

There's a Boots in Central KSK (Kad Suan Kaew) as well. Just bought some Blackmores multi-vitamins there today. 3rd floor....

Oh, and on topic, I don't think I'm giving anything up living here, vs. Bangkok.

Except high prices and way more congestion and people, perhaps. :o

I think that CM and Bangkok are almost opposites in style of city. I find the majority of people who like the one dislike the other. I love living in CM and while I enjoy visiting Bangkok after about 5 days I really have to get out of the place. Friends in Bangkok who come up here for the fresh air <?> think it is "quaint" and "pleasant" but couldn't imagine living here without contemplating suicide.

CB

Around 2002, a Welshman in BKK was told that Chiang Mai was so primitive he'd probably be riding on elephants. The Bang-cocks all told him Chiang Mai had nothing, no modern cons, etc. He transferred anyway, to Chiang Mai, and loves it. I suspect there are still folks in Bangkok who think the same.

Any trip of less than a week probably won't give you enough info about a place. Yet, I came as a solo tourist in 2003, for the first time, and decided within ten days to move here, lock stock and barrel. No regrets.

I have never been up north and know very little about CM but considering a move based on the few things I know.

So the question is, are you sacrificing anything by living in the North versus say Bangkok?

Specifically, how is the infrastructure? Are your utilities, internet, housing, etc... reliable and to your liking? And, are you able to buy the things you like? I assume a city the size of CM would have a Tesco or something similar and some western themed places.

thanks in advance

Nobody mentions the real reason (I think) most of the saner people choose to live here is because of the easily accesible nature areas. Some of the most interesting hilltribes, et all, in the area, too. When I lived in Bkk, I remember having to drive 3 hours before I could find some forest in Kanchaburi... Here I am 5 minutes away.. :D

Currently, I worry about Chiang Mai becoming another Pattaya... :o

Edited by Ajarn

thanks in advance

We moved to Chiang Mai having never seen it, read about it, Googled it, etc. Although we'd been coming to Thailand for several months a year for more than 15 years, we always came in the summer, and spent our time on the smaller islands scuba diving, finishing up with a few days in Bangkok. When we decided to retire here, we knew we didn't want to live on a small island and we knew that after a few weeks Bangkok can turn your brains into mashed potatoes. Pattaya was completely out of the equation. So we moved to Chiang Mai, arrived and checked into a hotel for a month, and searched for a place to move in to. That was seven years ago. We're still here. Perhaps we go to Bangkok once or twice a year, usually for one or two days at most. The only food I can't get here is good Italian sausage, so I learned to make my own. My internet connection is fast enough for my needs, and there is enough variety of quality ethnic restaurants to satisfy most anyone. There isn't an opera company here, but then, I hate opera. Anything that I have to mail order are things that I couldn't get in Bangkok either. At least here I don't have 4 hour traffic jams, can see the mountains just by looking west, and can sit beside a waterfall or a lake with only five-ten minutes travel. All forms of entertainment, all varieties of shopping malls, but enough mom&pop shops to keep the small town feel. For home delivery foods I can get pizza, sushi, Western style burgers, ribs and chicken, and of course, Thai foods. The supermarkets deliver to your door for free, and the local folk smile at you and say hello when you walk past. Who could ask for more?

Of course, all this is going to change within the next two years.

Yet another cheap B&B will open their doors in CM in April next year........worth a looksee. :o

Rough old place ....

Hotel Opening April 2008

- Le Meridien Chiang Mai is currently under construction. It will open its doors in 2008.

The hotel is located in the heart of the Chiang Mai business district which is very close to the famous night bazaar and major retail shopping. The hotel will have 391 rooms overall, all equipped with the latest amenities including flat screen TVs, in-room safes, broadband Internet access and on demand movie channels.

the Le Meridien Chiang Mai has a lot to offer for you to relax on the hotel compounds:

A large swimming pool, sophisticated health club and a full-service Spa.

Having compared the advertised prices for Christmas and New Year's Feasts in the BKK post, I can assure you that if you want a dinner or party experience on these two annual occasions that are priced over 15K baht, then BKK is for you. There are none such in Chiang Mai.

Having compared the advertised prices for Christmas and New Year's Feasts in the BKK post, I can assure you that if you want a dinner or party experience on these two annual occasions that are priced over 15K baht, then BKK is for you. There are none such in Chiang Mai.

I look forward to learning in the inflation thread next year that there will be such next season. :o

I look forward to learning in the inflation thread next year that there will be such next season. :o

new year eve gala special at bkk restaurants. 5990/person. comes with 1 free glass of house wine. :D