Raw Fish Cancer Link?

khunandy

I was having a beer in Khon Kaen a while ago and a youngish western lady was sitting at the next table. We got talking and as it happened she was a surgeon on an exchange program from the USA and doing a 6 month tour at the University Hospital in Khon Kaen.

She told me two interesting things. Khon Kaen has the highest breast cancer rate per capita in THE WORLD and part of her work has been involved in trying to find a reason for high stomache cancer cases in Thailand. She said that their research was close to proving a direct link between stomache cancer and the eating of raw fish in Thailand, I think she was referring to fresh water fish but I am not sure now on this point.

I just recalled this conversation tonight and thought I might post it

A few details are coming back to me now, it was fresh water fish she was referring to and it was related to a particular type of parasite. I dont thing I have ever eaten raw fresh water fish although a dish was served up for me recently that was sort of mashed and was in fact delicious, I think that may have been raw.

I confirm Khunandy's comments. Just had a talk today with a 48-year-old Isaan farmer friend in the Greater Khon Kaen area. Everyone in his extended family over 50 is dead from parasitical damage to their livers from eating raw fresh water fish--a total of about 10 people including brothers, parents, aunts and uncles. Don't know about the cancer link, but the organ damage from parasites is pretty well established here. Watch that Lap Phla ! :o

Edited by toptuan

I confirm Khunandy's comments. Just had a talk today with a 48-year-old Isaan farmer friend in the Greater Khon Kaen area. Everyone in his extended family over 50 is dead from parasitical damage to their livers from eating raw fresh water fish--a total of about 10 people including brothers, parents, aunts and uncles. Don't know about the cancer link, but the organ damage from parasites is pretty well established here. Watch that Lap Phla ! :o

Yes, there is such a parasite, and it causes these problems, that's what I hear anyway.

Fish, whether salt water or fresh, of the shelled or fin variety, seems to be involved in quite a few health mishaps. A dose of food poisoning out here can leave you in a very sorry state. I avoid the stuff now and tend not to suffer from inordinate stomach upsets. Should be near the top of the don't do list.

I thought Japan had the lowest rate of all cancers in the world.....And the biggest eaters of raw fish.

Raw fish today...Tomatoes tomorrow, BBQ foods the day after, beer the following day, red wine the next...

Never ends Doctors have no idea along with the rest of us.

I thought Japan had the lowest rate of all cancers in the world.....And the biggest eaters of raw fish.

I think you're right. HOWEVER, they have the world's highest rate of intestinal parasites, thanks to sushi, sashimi, basashi, and all the other "shi's" meaning uncooked delicacies from the sea or hoof.

My first thought was; What about Japan? But maybe the freshwater fish thing has some weight.
Read about the Japan/stomach cancer/raw fish link decades ago. Can't vouch for it either way.

Actually, I had a Japanese roommate who told me the incidence of stomach cancer was very high in Japan, because of the high salt diet. I have since heard this again, but of course it could be because of raw fish but is not publicized as such.

The information of Thai and stomach cancer is new to me, but I do know that it is a problem in parts of SEA. Many of my Burmese friends have had stomach surgery of some sort, starting from relatively young ages. This scares me a lot, because I was stupid and ate raw oysters in Thailand about 3 years ago, and my stomach has never been the same. I also ate a lot of sushi. I was tested positive for parasites while in Thailand and was treated, but have always felt that Western doctors are not diagnosing a lingering problem. I have since giving myself a parasite cleanse, but the stomach has never been the same.

I am going to find myself a good naturopathic doctor that can help me.

The illnesses are related to the parasites. There have been previous discussion on the issue in TV and there are a number of published studies. As well, there is an issue with water quality. Something about untreated effluent and all that........ As they say round these parts; same same.

The links between the liver flukes found in thailand and gall bladder and liver cancer are well known and documented.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol10no12/04-0410.htm

As for them causing breast cancer i have not heard of this. There has been a increase of breast cancer in Thailand in recent years - no evidence but some Dr's have said it might be due to increased dairy consumption???