Aussie Visa For Thai Girlfriend

Hi My name is Dean

I intend to apply for a tourist Visa for my Thai Girlfriend. I have visited her twice and this time we have spent a great deal of time together traveling in Thailand Laos and Cambodia. Does anyone have any do's and don't s for the Visa application? Are there any documents worth getting from Home?

Thanks

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As always for up to date and precise Information it is best to contact the Australian Embassy.

However to get you started:-

A Typed letter from you saying that you will provide Accomodation, Meals and all her requirements and will be totally responsible for her in Australia. How long you have known her etc etc, as much info as possible, including why you would like her to visit and how long she is going to stay for.

A letter from your employer stating you are employed and how long.

Pay slips from you will help.

Paperwork pertaining to prior visits, Photos of the 2 of you together.

They also require Bank statements from her, plus all the application paperwork be filled out correctly. Need to see her Passport etc.

Australia is quite paranoid, if that is the word about Thai's visiting, It seems they worry there is some hidden agenda. So you need to be very articulate in what you say.

Best of luck

Hi My name is Dean

I intend to apply for a tourist Visa for my Thai Girlfriend. I have visited her twice and this time we have spent a great deal of time together traveling in Thailand Laos and Cambodia. Does anyone have any do's and don't s for the Visa application? Are there any documents worth getting from Home?

Thanks

This is from the website......If you have any further questions that are more specific....feel free to ask. Remember this is not from your perspective but your lady's perspective.

APPLYING FOR A VISITOR VISA TO AUSTRALIA

Who should apply for a visitor visa?

People intending to visit Australia for tourism or other recreational activities, including holidaying, sightseeing, social or recreational reasons, to visit relatives or friends, or other short term, non-work purposes. The visitor visa provides for a period of stay up to 12 months.

Where can I lodge my application?

• In person at:

Australian Visa Application Centre

Floor 34, Thai CC Tower

889 South Sathhorn Road

Bangkok (next to Surasak BTS Station)

Further information on the Australian Visa Application Centre is available at www.vfs-au.net

• By mail or courier:

Visa and Immigration Office

Australian Embassy Bangkok

37 South Sathorn Road

Bangkok 10120

You should include a cashiers cheque or bank draft made payable to “The Australian Embassy, Bangkok” in Thai Baht. Personal cheques are not acceptable.

• At the Australian Embassy by appointment only:

Please telephone 02 344 6400 between 2.30pm and 4.30pm, Monday to Friday

You will be advised if an interview is required to assist in finalising your application.

Important things to remember when making an application

Applicants are required to disclose information about all previous visa applications. The provision of false or misleading information in an application could lead to the application being refused.

It is also important that you lodge a complete application. A complete application is one that provides all information necessary for a decision to be made. You should support your application with as much information as possible at the time of lodgement as a decision may be made solely on the information that you have provided with your application.

people our business 1

Information Sheet 5 – Visitor Visa

What do I need to provide?

You may be asked to provide further documents or information relating to your particular circumstances after your application has been lodged. The list of supporting documentation below is not exhaustive. You may also include additional documents if they are relevant to your application. You should provide original documents and a set of clear copies. All originals will be returned to you after the copies have been certified. You should also provide an English translation of any document in another language.

A complete application would include:

• Form 48R for a Tourist visa – completed in English and signed by the applicant

• A non-refundable Visa Application Charge (VAC) payable either by Cashier’s Cheque (if purchased in Bangkok or Nonthaburi, Samutprakarn provinces) or ‘Bank Draft’ (only if purchased in Thailand) payable to ‘Australian Embassy Bangkok’ in Thai Baht Please refer to www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/visa-charges.htm for current charges.

• A passport that is valid for the total period of your stay in Australia, or for a minimum of 6 months

• One passport photo of each applicant

• Thai National Identification card

• Evidence of family, employment and other ties to your country of usual residence

• If visiting or travelling with a relative - evidence of your relationship with the person you are visiting, for example, marriage certificate(s), birth certificate(s), house registration certificate, statement detailing the relationship, or a combination of these documents.

• Where someone is supporting your application you should provide evidence of your relationship, for example, evidence of contact / relationship with the person supporting the application, for example, letters with original envelopes, emails, telephone bills, photographs and money transfers.

• Evidence that you have adequate personal funds, or access to adequate funds to support yourself (and any family members travelling with you) during the period of intended stay, for example, a current bankbook or bank statement with at least 6 months history of transactions. Cash or credit cards are not sufficient evidence of funds. If you are providing a bankbook, you are required to provide the original bankbook which will be returned to you with your passport.

• If you are employed you should present evidence of current employment in the form of an original letter from your employer outlining your present position, length of service, salary and period of approved leave. If you are self-employed, you need to provide evidence of business ownership such as business registration or shareholder's certificate.

• Students should present evidence of enrolment in a school or educational institution.

Applicants under 18 years of age

• An original statement from an Amphur office (Thai Government District Office) giving permission from the non-travelling parent/s or legal guardian/s for the child to travel to Australia;

OR

• Form 1229 signed by the non-travelling parent/s or legal guardian/s and witnessed at the Australian Visa Application Centre or by appointment at the Australian Embassy in Bangkok. This consent should confirm the permission of the non-travelling parent(s) or guardian for the child to travel to Australia and the period of time the child is permitted to stay in Australia. Consent Forms are available from the Australian Visa Application Centre.

people our business 2

Information Sheet 5 – Visitor Visa

Do I need to have a health examination?

All applicants are required to meet health requirements. Generally, applicants for a visitor visa are not required to undertake a medical examination. A medical examination may be requested if you:

• are likely to enter a hospital or health care area, including nursing homes, for any purpose

• likely to be enrolled in or engaged in an Australian preschool-aged child care centre, including preschools and crèches, as wither and employee or trainee

• will enter a classroom environment for than 4 weeks

• are over the age of 70

• present any indications you may not meet the health requirement

If this is the case you will be advised by staff at the Visa and Immigration Office, Australian Embassy Bangkok of the type of medical examination required and you will be provided with the necessary forms (26 and/or 160). Medical examinations must be undertaken by a doctor from a list of approved doctors provided by the Visa and Immigration Office, Australian Embassy Bangkok. A list of these doctors is on the Australian Embassy website www.austembassy.or.th. Medical forms and a list of approved doctors can also be obtained from the Australian Visa Application Centre.

How long will I need to wait for the visa?

You can expect a decision on your application within 3-5 days from the day you lodge your application. The processing time may take longer if the application was incomplete at the time of application or if there are other issues with your application such as character issues relating to previous immigration history or criminal convictions, child custody issues, or if further medical checks are required. If your application is likely to take longer than 5 days, you will be fully informed of the reason for any delays.

Can I ask another person to deal with the Embassy?

Australian privacy laws prevent this office from responding to enquiries from people not authorised by the applicant. This includes the person providing support to the application. If you want to authorise another person to be able to discuss your application with this office, or for them to receive correspondence about the application, you should indicate this on the application form, a written statement or by using a form 956.

If you wish to discuss any matter face to face with an officer of the Visa and Immigration Office you need to telephone and make an appointment. Appointments can be made by telephone 02 344 6400 between 2.30pm and 4.30pm, Monday to Friday.

Forum: Visas and migration to other countries

Edited by gburns57au

Hi My name is Dean

Thanks

I strongly suggest you do the following to make the transition easier. First, impregnate her, then marry her. You will then be able to easily bring her to australia. By the way, should she give birth to the child in Thailand, and you have a child together, Australia really cannot refuse her entry because 1) she is the mother of the child who will be a dual citizen with Australia, and that the child is yours, and need her to look after the child. In the event she becomes married to you, and have a baby, there really is no way they will deny you then. Having a child really takes away any suspcion as a simple DNA test would prove that the baby is yours and hers.

Michael,

The best advice is to ignore any advice from people with less than 10 posts.

Check out the Australian Embassy Website and department of immigration website.

The main things that will be looked are proof of your relationship.

Pictures of you together, proof of you traveling to spend time with her, proof of your travel together.

The big one is that she has sufficient ties to Thailand to make her return.

Spell out clearly why she would come back to Thailand, and not overstay her Visa in Australia.

PM me if you have any questions.

Hi My name is Dean

Thanks

I strongly suggest you do the following to make the transition easier. First, impregnate her, then marry her. You will then be able to easily bring her to australia. By the way, should she give birth to the child in Thailand, and you have a child together, Australia really cannot refuse her entry because 1) she is the mother of the child who will be a dual citizen with Australia, and that the child is yours, and need her to look after the child. In the event she becomes married to you, and have a baby, there really is no way they will deny you then. Having a child really takes away any suspcion as a simple DNA test would prove that the baby is yours and hers.

Utter crap......if you dont know what you are talking about....dont post.

Some of us here try to give good advice.

As always for up to date and precise Information it is best to contact the Australian Embassy.

However to get you started:-

A Typed letter from you saying that you will provide Accomodation, Meals and all her requirements and will be totally responsible for her in Australia. How long you have known her etc etc, as much info as possible, including why you would like her to visit and how long she is going to stay for.

A letter from your employer stating you are employed and how long.

Pay slips from you will help.

Paperwork pertaining to prior visits, Photos of the 2 of you together.

They also require Bank statements from her, plus all the application paperwork be filled out correctly. Need to see her Passport etc.

Australia is quite paranoid, if that is the word about Thai's visiting, It seems they worry there is some hidden agenda. So you need to be very articulate in what you say.

Best of luck

A couple of flaws in your post.....

A stat dec holds more sway then a typed letter....however if that is beyond reach then a covering letter (especially if witnessed) will suffice.

They wont need her bank statements if he is providing the funds for the trip and can prove income. He will need to ensure that the additional funds section of the application is filled out in his name.

Oz is not paranoid about Thais....but they do have some stringent policies that apply to most tourists. Yes they are concerned about overstays of SE Asian women....but not to a point of paranoia.

Michael,

Pictures of you together, proof of you traveling to spend time with her, proof of your travel together.

Spell out clearly why she would come back to Thailand, and not overstay her Visa in Australia.

AussieT makes valid points....

A stat dec or a witnessed letter as outlined by Lioness.....in that you will accept responsibility for her while she is here will alleviate the reason to return somewhat.....becuase you are guaranteeing that she will comply by the conditions of her visa.

Michael,

AussieT makes valid points....

A stat dec or a witnessed letter as outlined by Lioness.....in that you will accept responsibility for her while she is here will alleviate the reason to return somewhat.....becuase you are guaranteeing that she will comply by the conditions of her visa.

Gburns you assisted me greatly in my gf getting her first visa against the odds. We are going for a second one in a few months. I dont have as much savings this time round but have a relatively ok paid job and can provide a similar amount of documentation. I submitted a typed letter but I daresay this was a Stat Declaration since I said I would fully support her for the time she was here. I think I have most of the stuff i gave them last time. You think all should be ok? She is still working and has all her docs. Some of the stuff I sent last time was not even looked at!

Cheers

watchoutfarang

Gburns you assisted me greatly in my gf getting her first visa against the odds. We are going for a second one in a few months. I dont have as much savings this time round but have a relatively ok paid job and can provide a similar amount of documentation. I submitted a typed letter but I daresay this was a Stat Declaration since I said I would fully support her for the time she was here. I think I have most of the stuff i gave them last time. You think all should be ok? She is still working and has all her docs. Some of the stuff I sent last time was not even looked at!

Cheers

watchoutfarang

It only becomes a stat dec if it follows the form of a stat dec (see attached) AND is signed and witnessed by someone who is legaly allowed to witness stat decs. Although Gburn's advice is sound, I personally don't think it makes too much difference as to weather your 'sponsorship' letter is just a letter or if it is a stat dec, the intention is more important than the form, and besides even if you make a stat dec it is not as if anyone can use it against you if you fail to provide the support you say you will provide. Now provided you have funds and can prove it and she has a reason to return, or leave Aus there should be no major issue.

CWEATHStatDec.doc

Hi I dont have many Post's, but I have my gf staying with me at the moment, on her second 3 mth visa.

One thing to watchout for, The Sponsor letter does need to be a Statutory Declaratin.

The list of witness's is long but the only ones Thailand are working in the Embassy,,,,,,appointment required. Hard to get in there but the one I dealt with, were generally helpfull

My little Protest Thai BCC tower should have someone authorised to sign

Hi I dont have many Post's, but I have my gf staying with me at the moment, on her second 3 mth visa.

One thing to watchout for, The Sponsor letter does need to be a Statutory Declaratin.

The list of witness's is long but the only ones Thailand are working in the Embassy,,,,,,appointment required. Hard to get in there but the one I dealt with, were generally helpfull

Considering all that work at the VFS are locals it is a bit hard for them to sign a stat dec and besides there is no reason why anyone needs to submit a stat dec to DIAC unless asked to do. The consular section of the embassy is who provides notarial services to Australian citizens. Not sure why you say it is hard to get an appointment, the embassy website actually states that no appointment is needed. See here:

http://www.austembassy.or.th/bkok/consular.html

Now where does it state that the letter has to be a stat dec? My GF and now her sister got her visa no problems at all without a stat dec, just a letter of invitation from me stating the facts of the application, their intended reason to be in Aus and what support I would be providing. Very simple 1 page document. I also provided internet banking printouts of my bank account's showing money to support them.

In fact the application check-list in the link below (see 2nd page) quite clearly states that a letter of invitation is required no mention of stat dec. If they expected one they would ask for one. Also be clear that a letter of invitation is not a stat dec. The reason is simple, you are not offering any legally binding guarantee of support so it doesn't have to be sign sealed and delivered in stat dec form, that is what a stat dec is, a legal statement. Simple as that. By comparison there are visa classes, 679 Sponsored family visitor visa for example where a binding guarantee from the sponsor is required, but this is done by the sponsor filling out another form, thus committing themselves to ensuring the applicant complies with their visa conditions, see even no need for a stat dec either.

Here is the check-list for the normal every day class 676 visa.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/_pdf/676-visa-checklist.pdf

So the golden rule is keep it simple. Provide what they ask for in the check-list and try not to complicate it for yourself or your partner by going over the top.

Edited by CbrLad

And if you get a visa condition 8503, here is the reason.

Why condition 8503 is imposed on some visas

Use of condition 8503 allows the Department of Immigration and Citizenship to grant more visas in those cases where extra surety may be needed that a visa applicant will depart Australia at the end of the period of stay allowed for by the visa.

It has been successful in increasing the number of visas that are granted while reducing the number of people who try to stay in Australia beyond the period allowed for by the visa.

Source http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/5...a_condition.htm

And if you get a visa condition 8503, here is the reason.

Why condition 8503 is imposed on some visas

Use of condition 8503 allows the Department of Immigration and Citizenship to grant more visas in those cases where extra surety may be needed that a visa applicant will depart Australia at the end of the period of stay allowed for by the visa.

It has been successful in increasing the number of visas that are granted while reducing the number of people who try to stay in Australia beyond the period allowed for by the visa.

Source http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/5...a_condition.htm

Yeah all well and good, but what are you getting at and what is the relivance to this thread?

If you raised this in relation to the Stat Dec discussion, sorry bzzzt, if someone gets one of these conditions, the person doing the sponsoring signs a different form legally binding them to provide the support they say they are going to provide.

Edited by CbrLad

Best of luck

You can say that again! When my wife (Thai), I and son (born in Thailand) went back to visit, my son could only get a visa for three weeks! Should have been 4 weeks. At that time we didn't have him an Aussie passport. It was a real pain as we had to change all our travel plans. Given my wife has a PhD from an Australian university and a good job in LoS, it was a bit of a farce.

Second visit was much better as we got my son his OZ passport.

Cheers

watchoutfarang

A stat dec needs to be signed by someone with the appropriate authority....as against a letter just being witnessed by a friend etc...the difference being is that the Stat Dec is a legal document and if the information in the Stat Dec is shown to be false, then legal action against the signatory can be taken. Thats why it holds more sway....and I must say that the use of a Stat Dec is merely my preferred option and not a must have.

However....As this is the second application for Watchoutfarang and his partner....all that is needed is to put in the same information as with the first but provide:

Current payslips.

Photos of her last trip with you and family/friends.

Recent letters or correspondence.

Do up a new covering letter

As long as there was no dramas with the first trip....the second application should be fine.

You dont need a Stat dec for a tourist visa....a covering letter is fine...As I inferred before the Stat Dec just makes the application that little bit stronger.

The VFS does....one of them signed off on my wifes ex's letter of consent to bring her son here...they both went there and he wrote the letter in front of the VFS girl and she certified it for them.

Now where does it state that the letter has to be a stat dec? My GF and now her sister got her visa no problems at all without a stat dec, just a letter of invitation from me stating the facts of the application, their intended reason to be in Aus and what support I would be providing. Very simple 1 page document. I also provided internet banking printouts of my bank account's showing money to support them.

CBRLad.....for my wifes first visa application, I rang immigration here and asked them about the Stat Dec....they advised me that it would be an asset to the application because of the documents legality as against a covering letter or letter of invite. If you state in it that you will accept responsibility for her while she is here, then you are making a gaurantee that she will abide by the visa conditions. Failure to do that COULD result in you being fined and/or jailed....Although that is very unlikely to happen, it is an option that they can follow. That is the strength of the Stat Dec and why it gives a reason to return....If I thought I might go to jail or be fined a huge amount....I would make sure that she didnt breach the visa.

Best of luck

You can say that again! When my wife (Thai), I and son (born in Thailand) went back to visit, my son could only get a visa for three weeks! Should have been 4 weeks. At that time we didn't have him an Aussie passport. It was a real pain as we had to change all our travel plans. Given my wife has a PhD from an Australian university and a good job in LoS, it was a bit of a farce.

Second visit was much better as we got my son his OZ passport.

Cant say much on the information given....obviously there was a reason for it.

CBRLad.....for my wifes first visa application, I rang immigration here and asked them about the Stat Dec....they advised me that it would be an asset to the application because of the documents legality as against a covering letter or letter of invite. If you state in it that you will accept responsibility for her while she is here, then you are making a gaurantee that she will abide by the visa conditions. Failure to do that COULD result in you being fined and/or jailed....Although that is very unlikely to happen, it is an option that they can follow. That is the strength of the Stat Dec and why it gives a reason to return....If I thought I might go to jail or be fined a huge amount....I would make sure that she didnt breach the visa.

There is no way it would be legally binding simply because you are not acknowledging the obligations and the penalities of being a sponsor. I am surprised someone from DIAC would ask for something over an above what their offical requirements are. Maybe it was extra bluff, but that is about all.

Take a look at this form: http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1149.pdf this is the form used by the sponsor when sponsing someone for a 679 visa, in particular the last page. Now unless your stat dec had that information in it, it would be usless and DIAC couldn't hold you liable for anything.

There is no way it would be legally binding simply because you are not acknowledging the obligations and the penalities of being a sponsor. I am surprised someone from DIAC would ask for something over an above what their offical requirements are. Maybe it was extra bluff, but that is about all.

Take a look at this form: http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1149.pdf this is the form used by the sponsor when sponsing someone for a 679 visa, in particular the last page. Now unless your stat dec had that information in it, it would be usless and DIAC couldn't hold you liable for anything.

On the general Stat Dec form that is available from any post office it states that if you give false or misleading information then you may be jailed for 4 years. (it used to be 3 years and/or $10,000)

Once a document is signed by you and co signed by an authorised person then it is a legal document. And the penalties for giving false or misleading information applies.

The application forms are not co signed....therefore they do not have legality....However the Department reserves the right to refuse the application if they discover that the information given is not true or correct. Punishment enough methinks. Also on the form you mentioned...a security bond is required....if the visa is breached the sponsor will forfeit the bond...again, Punishment enough.

Application forms are not legal documants....merely an application, however if they are co signed and witnessed then it is a legal document. For instance you apply for a loan, It is not a binding agreement until accepted by the loans manager by his signature on the application.

Statutory Declarations once co signed by someone with the correct authority are legal documents and as such breaches can be dealt with under the criminal code.

Edited by gburns57au

On the general Stat Dec form that is available from any post office it states that if you give false or misleading information then you may be jailed for 4 years. (it used to be 3 years and/or $10,000)

Once a document is signed by you and co signed by an authorised person then it is a legal document. And the penalties for giving false or misleading information applies.

The application forms are not co signed....therefore they do not have legality....However the Department reserves the right to refuse the application if they discover that the information given is not true or correct. Punishment enough methinks. Also on the form you mentioned...a security bond is required....if the visa is breached the sponsor will forfeit the bond...again, Punishment enough.

Application forms are not legal documants....merely an application, however if they are co signed and witnessed then it is a legal document. For instance you apply for a loan, It is not a binding agreement until accepted by the loans manager by his signature on the application.

Statutory Declarations once co signed by someone with the correct authority are legal documents and as such breaches can be dealt with under the criminal code.

That is all well and good and yes you can be taken to court if found liable of giving false or missleading information on a stat dec. But if you were to write one saying I will pay the costs of my GF's trip and ensure that she complies with visa conditions then she failed to comply you could not be held accountable, so it is not worth a peice of pidgon poop. To be held accountable you need to either sign the deparments form, or acknowledge the requirements and subsiquent penalty for non compliance in the stat dec. The form is a whole lot easier. By the way official form, as you point out isn't counter signed is still legally binding. By signing you are agreeing to the conditions and penalties to which you are signing.

As to the whole thing, the bottom line is for a tourist visa you only need a letter of invitation, not a stat dec. Anything more may be good but you know by the same token it may work against some people too. Belive me when you see how the guys processing these things work (which I have in my previous employment), you would keep it as simple as possible for them and provide them only what they ask and don't complicate things.

That is all well and good and yes you can be taken to court if found liable of giving false or missleading information on a stat dec. But if you were to write one saying I will pay the costs of my GF's trip and ensure that she complies with visa conditions then she failed to comply you could not be held accountable, so it is not worth a peice of pidgon poop. To be held accountable you need to either sign the deparments form, or acknowledge the requirements and subsiquent penalty for non compliance in the stat dec. The form is a whole lot easier. By the way official form, as you point out isn't counter signed is still legally binding. By signing you are agreeing to the conditions and penalties to which you are signing.

As to the whole thing, the bottom line is for a tourist visa you only need a letter of invitation, not a stat dec. Anything more may be good but you know by the same token it may work against some people too. Belive me when you see how the guys processing these things work (which I have in my previous employment), you would keep it as simple as possible for them and provide them only what they ask and don't complicate things.

The application form is not legally binding until accepted by the department...which is usually when the visa is issued. It doesnt say that on the form...but it is a matter of "offer and acceptance" the same basic principle applies. Just having one person sign means nothing, that is the Offer or application....it doesnt become an agreement until the second party agrees, in this case the agreement is made when the visa is granted. The application can be withdrawn at any stage upto the grant of the visa...once the visa is issued, the application has become an agreement and the conditions on the application become binding.

With the Stat Dec you are making statements that are purported to be true and correct....and if it is found that you have made a misleading or false statement....then you could be charged under the criminal code....not the Immigration Act. So for instance if you state she is coming for the purpose of a holiday only....and then she goes out to work with your knowledge....She would be in breach of her visa and would face arrest and deportation....then IF the department was inclined they could hand it over to the relevent authorities and the signatory of the SD could be prosecuted. As I said before this would be highly unlikely but it is an option for them. As a stand alone charge it probably wouldnt happen.

The penalty for the SD is on the form...once it is signed and co signed then you are acknowledging that penalty.

A properly filled out SD would be easier for the processors than a long winded letter of invitation, and the ideal letter of invitation or covering letter would state exactly the same as the SD....unfortunately that rarely happens....An SD is a legal form and people treat it as such when completing them.... A letter is something you write to your Mum and people treat that the same way.

I point out again though...I do not say an SD is compulsary for a tourist visa application...I have merely said that it holds more sway then a simple letter. For someone who has a not so strong application, it could make a difference.

I am aware of your previous employment and therefore have the greatest respect for your opinions...Maybe we just interpret things differently... :o

As an applicant has in this case TGF status her marital status on the application form would be "never married" (in most cases).

In this case a statutory declaration would be justified to support her application for a 676 visa.

DIMA are not "paranoid" but no one wants a visa holder to become a burden on public funds if she overstays or breaches the 676 visa conditions.

You could get the Statutory Declaration done in Australia and then file the original with her application along with your financial information. The declaration should also state how long you have known the applicant etc.

The application form is very detailed, the 48R THA has about 40 questions that the applicant has to answer.

I strongly recommend a stat dec.

It seems to be very favorably viewed.

I was advised to provide one for my first and second tourist visa along with supporting letters, photos, payslips, bank statements, copy of western union transfers, copy of her tabien bahn, telephone records etc

Thanks to the advice on this board we still managed to get a tourist visa despite the fact that my girl have been deported from Japan after a five year over stay and we never mentioned it on the initial application. We also had numerous telephone interviews.

I have to say that I am greatly impressed by the quality of Australian visa advice from GBurns, and on behalf of ThaiVisa I thank him for his invaluable contributions.

Thanks DrPP....we can but try....

:o

I have to agree wholeheartedly with DrPP. Gburns is a the best source of info and you should listen to all the advice he gives when applying for a Visa. I am on a sponsorship 457 Visa in Oz (ie a non-res) and the 48R tourist visa was granted to my TG with a whole lot of paperwork. I am not sure I will provide as much this time as the embassy only considered about half of it. But the more the better. Gburns knows his onions as they say. To all board members looking for a visa to Oz follows his advice. Sorry Gburns if this gives you added workload!!!

cheers

watchoutfarang

I strongly recommend a stat dec.

It seems to be very favorably viewed.

I was advised to provide one for my first and second tourist visa along with supporting letters, photos, payslips, bank statements, copy of western union transfers, copy of her tabien bahn, telephone records etc

Thanks to the advice on this board we still managed to get a tourist visa despite the fact that my girl have been deported from Japan after a five year over stay and we never mentioned it on the initial application. We also had numerous telephone interviews.

Ok what was the substance of the stat dec? I.e. what was it a declaration of?

As for this debate, I agree that Gburns advice is generally sound, but on this issue I would strongly disagree. You see the purpose of a stat dec is to make a declaration about something in the past. I.e. something that cannot be easily proved by supporting documents, it is not there to make a ‘promise’ about something in the future which is what has been suggested.

For example one might make a stat dec about how they met their partner, or about your income if, for example you were a casual or self employed and didn’t have a wage and hence a fixed salary that could be proved. Like I said you don’t make a stat dec for something that might happen in the future. If DIAC want you to make a binding commitment of support they will get you to sign their specific forms.

If someone wanted to provide a stat dec with an application then go ahead, but don’t do it as a substitute for the letter of invitation. You need one of those too, their documentation says so. Sure some here may have got away without one and used a stat dec, but I would bet my left and right goolies that those instances the cases pretty much stood for themselves anyway. A would also bet those who have been asked to provide one have been asked to do so to clarify a past issue and not as a form of assurance for something in the future.

Bottom line is if DIAC wanted a stat dec they would ask for it and they would make it pretty clear what you are making the declaration for. What they do ask for is a letter of invite which covers the nature of the relationship, why the applicant is planning to go to Australia and what support you or others will be providing.

As I have also said on numerous occasions and no one seems to believe me, giving too much information can be bad also. The thing it does is arouses suspicion and futher investigation. If the case is strong and clear just provide what they ask.