Is Prostitution Illegal In Thailand?

Harry Palmer

i though prostitution was illegal in thailand, but when you hear about what goes on in places like pat pong.. and the gov't is doing nothing about it cos it brings in a lot of money for them, one wonders? it's ruining the countries reputation abroad... we get too many people coming here for the wrong reasons... :o

Some (Dr Pat Pong, I think) did quote the law on this forum - I think the act contains 'Suppression of Prostitution' in the translation of its name. It's possible I misread it, but it seemed to me that it outlawed brothels, roughly speaking the provision of girl plus bed. It seemed to me that the pick-up bars (loosely 'go-go bars') are within the law if customers take the girls off the premises. 'Siderooms' and the like on the premises do seem very much to be against the law.

I think there are provisions against compelling prostitution, so the practice of docking girls' basic pay if they aren't barfined often enough did seem illegal. However, a simple rewording to make the amount deducted a bonus when it wasn't deducted would probably get round that part of the law, assuming I read it correctly. Moreover, I understand that the meaning of Thai laws is not the plain meaning of the words, e.g. the legal verdict that the gender-based naturalisation laws do not give Thai women lesser rights than Thai men.

How can you suppress it after it has been going on for so many years??  :o

Send all the losers who seek out the services of these hores to The Bangkok Hilton?

You'd be locking up a large percentage of thai nationals as well...

its not only farang that indulge in "service girls".

I dont think bangkok hilton is big enough, unless they just strip off the hilton bit and make bangkok a prison - lol

How can you suppress it after it has been going on for so many years??   :o

Send all the losers who seek out the services of these hores to The Bangkok Hilton?

You'd be locking up a large percentage of thai nationals as well...

its not only farang that indulge in "service girls".

I dont think bangkok hilton is big enough, unless they just strip off the hilton bit and make bangkok a prison - lol

and why are they whores?? what about a girl that sleeps with many men that dosen't work in a bar what is she? how come it's ok for a guy to sleep with many women and he's a stud and if a woman does it she's a whore!!! don't women like sex?? my opinion i think they like it more than men

:D Yes, it's illegal within the wording of the law. To complain about the state of culture in Thailand is like a kid in a candy store saying, "I don't want that kind of candy so don't offer it anymore".

All this said there can be serious problems arise and hurt innocent people, both Thai and other (mostly because it is illegal). But isn't this true about all things in life. Open up to lifes possibilities, if you don't like some of those possibilities that doesn't mean they should be taken from all people.

:o Coffee!!! :D

i though prostitution was illegal in thailand, but when you hear about what goes on in places like pat pong.. and the gov't is doing nothing about it cos it brings in a lot of money for them, one wonders?

You could make this same exact statement substituting pirated software for prostitution and Panthip Plaza for Patpong. I'm sure one could think of other examples without too much difficulty. There are any number of activities that are illegal in Thailand that occur on a daily basis, activities that are routinely overlooked until it is time for the latest crackdown.

prostitution is also illegal in england, but i guess those postcards in the public phone boxes are just there for decoration???

Since when? I though it was just that in the UK (do England and Scotland differ here?) most techniques for getting prostitutes and customers together were illegal. Thai pick-up places would probably fall foul of the UK anti-pimping laws.

...thai women are often described as 'slim, sun-burnt and sweet ... masters of the art of making love by nature.' ... exotic and docile... there's the perceived mystique of the Asian woman - beautiful, obedient, available... just how does a young thai woman, normally very shy, dance naked in front of strangers or sleep with them?

...such qualities appeal to foreigners; a "sexile" or a "sexpatriot," many are reduced to buying a bit of affection, some excitement, illusions of comfort and consolation. maybe some have a contempt for britain, where, they say, everyone has gone soft, men are no longer men and women have got too assertive...

A United Nations study of a thousand Thai prostitutes revealed that a quarter were regular users of speed, barbiturates, and heroin.

whether foreign or local, men are willing to use the women to satisfy their sexual needs at an incredible rate. often without regard to disease or any common moral restraints, including age...

food for thought perhaps...

Oh My Buddah,

Prostitution in thailand, and anyone who goes with one is a loser,

Whats the matter with people on this forum, every subject that comes up has one another at each others throats.

I joined as i thought this forum would be a helpfull and usefull way to find information that from time to time i might need, yet there is always some ###### having a dig, cant this just be a sensable and informative forum without the bitterness.

So i must also be classed as a loser even though i was the one that broke the heart of the most beutifull girl i ever met in a bar in Thailand, and no there was no money involved in the five years i knew her, Fact.

Mike.