Thinking about retiring in Egypt: What might the main advantages be?

Alexandria sounds like it would be interesting.

I just saw one of those great places to retire on a budget list and most of the mentions have no retirement visa or alternative (such as Vietnam).

There might be a way for Egypt. Haven't checked lately.

One place on the list Tunisia was new to me. So I looked it up. Sure enough, no option whatsover for retirement.

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Alexandria sounds like it would be interesting.

I just saw one of those great places to retire on a budget list and most of the mentions have no retirement visa or alternative (such as Vietnam).

There might be a way for Egypt. Haven't checked lately.

One place on the list Tunisia was new to me. So I looked it up. Sure enough, no option whatsover for retirement.

Nobody enjoys needing to apply for a retirement visa.

The Nile is beautiful in he sunset.

The Nile flows grey just at dusk, and maybe at dawn, as well....

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Nobody enjoys needing to apply for a retirement visa.

The Nile is beautiful in he sunset.

The Nile flows grey just at dusk, and maybe at dawn, as well....

I'm sure Egypt doesn't have a retirement visa but they might have some kind of alternative thing that would work similarly. I just haven't checked lately. But I can say Tunisia has nothing. 

As in all the Moslem countries - where women aren't available - men are. If that's of interest.

Then there's the (fading) relics of the city's Greek past, including Cavafy.

And there's always archaeology to keep you fit.

• Haha 1

Who the hell would wanna retire in Egypt I could think of hundreds of better places you speak Arabic are you a Muslim? If not, I would be thinking about other country to retire and TT.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, BKKKevin said:

A possible plus would be the highly diminished chance of getting an STD… 

A lot of pillow biters in Egypt, they aren't immune to STD's.

45 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

How about Albania? I saw this video on youtube the other day and it really surprised me.

Particularly Interesting to Americans.

7 hours ago, BKKKevin said:

A possible plus would be the highly diminished chance of getting an STD… 

Possibly from a Camel !

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sumiyoshicho said:

Last year they started a 5 year multi entry visa, fairly easy to get. https://egypt-e-visas.com/blog/egypt-5-year-multiple-entry-visa/.    I found the people to be friendly and welcoming, loved the local food. which is varied  You should visit there first to see if it would fit your retirement plan. I know some who retired there and LOVE it, An interesting read on retiring in Egypt, https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/we-left-uk-spend-retirement-28764383

Yes, I can endorse that. Egypt has quite a number of resort towns along the Mediterranean and Red Sea coast. I owned an apartment on one near Hurghada on the Red Sea and lived their for 7 years and it was a very pleasant place to live.

Immigration and residency rules were a doddle. Just once a year and one single page application form to complete. All I needed was my 'owners card' from the resort and my passport. A rental contract could also be used if one doesn't own there.

Definitely worth looking into if one's looking for change of lifestyle. There are many Europeans retired there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1