Dowry

pnustedt

:D What if a woman has been married before? Is she entitled to a dowry every time she weds?

You buy a house to live in after you're wed. If things go pear shaped, she will end up with it.Can't that be classed as dowry.

Why are farangs expected to pay more than Thais? And why is there so much snobbery on Los. Even among some farangs? :o

Do they pay dowries to the brides family in HK ????

In HK there is quite a show of gold at the wedding reception - the groom makes gifts to the brides' parents. There is also an expectation that the groom will take financial care of the brides' parents in later life.

Family life is somewhat different - property prices are so high (even after a price collapse of 60%) that many newly weds cannot afford a home, a modest apartment will set you back Bt15 mill. So couples often live with either the grooms' or brides' family in small accommodation. If they can buy a home it often involves the wife continuing to work to pay the mortgage whilst grandparents look after the children.

The groom in this case is fortunate that he can move in with the bride in accommodation that I provided at no expense to him, and I don't expect him to support me or his mum-in-law in old age.

RC, sorry.........as an Asian woman this sounds like buying livestock to me!!!!
I would say that up here, a well educated, nice looking girl with a good job and family, they would be asking for around 500,000 and 10-20 bht, where this was to be kept would be open to negotiation.

I would say that a thoroughbred Arab Stallion, 15 hands, with nice legs and a good body, they would be asking for 10-50k, open to negotiation............ :o alternatively you can have an Appaloosa, nice markings, 14 hands, yearling for 8k.............

Why would he want an Arab man, good at sex with nice legs and an abnormal amount of hands for?

I am sure he would prefer to stay with his wife who i am sure he is very happy with.

Noodles.

English noodles...............You must be daft if you thought I meant an Arab man or maybe that's your preference. Nothing wrong with that............I thought you were English and should know what a stallion is??? Then again.....maybe everything is considered "animal" to you........Stallion is a man not a horse and a bird is a woman not a winged creature and etc......... :D Such nice cultured words........

There was a discussion amongst a few women yesterday.....it seems one of the guys we know "knocked up" his gf........but he cannot marry her until he comes up with the dowry!!! :D

Makes one think......he can have sex with her for free and get her pregnant but has to pay to marry her, go figure!! :D That makes a lot of sense...... :o

RC, sorry.........as an Asian woman this sounds like buying livestock to me!!!!
I would say that up here, a well educated, nice looking girl with a good job and family, they would be asking for around 500,000 and 10-20 bht, where this was to be kept would be open to negotiation.

I would say that a thoroughbred Arab Stallion, 15 hands, with nice legs and a good body, they would be asking for 10-50k, open to negotiation............ :o alternatively you can have an Appaloosa, nice markings, 14 hands, yearling for 8k.............

Well the thread was about how much to ask for a dowry, I did'nt start the custom or even say I agree with it, but it is a fact that the better off the girls parents or if she is really attractive or university edgucated the parents will ask for more money (sometimes).

Would it still sound like buying cattle if you wernt an asian women?? dont really see the relivence.

Oh I buy loads of livestock and it is really quite a different process :D

Someone asked how much is 1 bhat gold, I cant remember the weight, but bhat is a weight measurment used for gold here I think at the moment its about 8000bht a bhat

English noodles...............You must be daft if you thought I meant an Arab man........I thought you were English and should know what a stallion is??? Then again.....maybe everything is considered "animal" to you........Stallion is a man not a horse and a bird is a woman not a winged creature and etc......... :D  Such nice cultured words........

There was a discussion amongst a few women yesterday.....it seems one of the guys we know "knocked up" his gf........but he cannot marry her until he comes up with the dowry!!!  :D

Makes one think......he can have sex with her for free and get her pregnant but has to pay to marry her, go figure!! :D That makes a lot of sense...... :o

She's no longer brand new on the showroom floor. No dowry. :D

English noodles...............You must be daft if you thought I meant an Arab man or maybe that's your preference. Nothing wrong with that............I thought you were English and should know what a stallion is??? Then again.....maybe everything is considered "animal" to you........Stallion is a man not a horse and a bird is a woman not a winged creature and etc......... :D  Such nice cultured words........

There was a discussion amongst a few women yesterday.....it seems one of the guys we know "knocked up" his gf........but he cannot marry her until he comes up with the dowry!!!  :D

Sorry that you did not understand that i was using sarcasm, i will try to be more obvious if that is at all possible in the future. (am i being sarcastic now?) hmm i forgot.

Noodles.

Do they pay dowries to the brides family in HK ????

In HK there is quite a show of gold at the wedding reception - the groom makes gifts to the brides' parents. There is also an expectation that the groom will take financial care of the brides' parents in later life.

Family life is somewhat different - property prices are so high (even after a price collapse of 60%) that many newly weds cannot afford a home, a modest apartment will set you back Bt15 mill. So couples often live with either the grooms' or brides' family in small accommodation. If they can buy a home it often involves the wife continuing to work to pay the mortgage whilst grandparents look after the children.

The groom in this case is fortunate that he can move in with the bride in accommodation that I provided at no expense to him, and I don't expect him to support me or his mum-in-law in old age.

I notice you are in HK...and presume that she is marrying a HK lad....in which case the local customs should apply not Thai ones.

Someone asked how much is 1 bhat gold, I cant remember the weight, but bhat is a weight measurment used for gold here I think at the moment its about 8000bht a bhat

A baht weight of gold is 15 grams.....there 28 grams to the ounce

Therefore just under 2 baht of gold is an ounce

Currently the price per baht weight of gold is just over 8000 THB.