Social Situations

Briggsy

Many social situations have drinking as a component, if not the main point.

If you ahve succeeded in stopping drinking or stopping drinking too much, what strategies do you employ in these situations? Or do you just completely avoid such situations?

I usually just say no thanks to whatever and order a soda water or other non-alcoholic beverage. If someone persists, I'll tell them I used to drink too much and now I don't drink at all. If they still persist, I tell them I haven't had a drink in 12 and half years and the when I did drink it often made me go out and smoke some crack or shoot heroin or speed for weeks at a time; that usually stops the questions!

"I don't drink' is usually enough for most people but you do the get the occasional person who will persist with questions.

I have no shame about being an ex-drunk and so will sometimes give them an explanation for my abstinence.

Most people don't care, and I prefer not to bring it into the conversation.

On a seperate issue.

I try and have a reason for being in a drinking environment.

I don't avoid places, but I don't think that it would be healthy for me to visit bars just to get a kick off other people's drinking.

I might get jealous and decide to join them.

I will go to a bar occasionally if someone wants to meet at one.

I might go if I fancy some western food.

I don't tend to spend much time there when I do go.

I think that this is fine so long as I don't try and relive the old days.

That way lies madness.

Best of luck to you

If you ahve succeeded in stopping drinking or stopping drinking too much, what strategies do you employ in these situations? Or do you just completely avoid such situations?

A social situation can mean a couple of different situations.

Meeting at a restaurant to eat dinner, while your mates sit around and drink several beers. When I'm not drinking sometimes (not always it can get boring) and I say I'm going home to relax, sleep, whatever.

Meeting a person(s) at a bar. I stop in say "hi," chat, and leave whenever I decide it's the right time. Honestly, being in bars while not drinking is very boring.

Which sadly to say, is it the booze that made the conversations and even friends interesting?

Yes, it can be difficult sometimes.

Finding more friends that are non-drinkers can help.

Aloha

If your a person that drinks to much, and your choice is to drink less, Most of the time it will not work, Nine times out of ten, If not more often, your going to go over the top, in order to get a handle on it, you stop, I had to, and I have never felt better, If you must do the bar seen, drink water, or juice, you will find that after you quit, you won't like being around drunks, so you change where you hang out, start a exercise program, like Waster-Sizing, you pick a area, like the beach or a park and you bend at the waist to pick up the waste and get rid of both, your happy because your looking better and Mother Nature is happy because your doing your part, Drinking and smoking are two of the hardest things to quit, most people die from it, before they can take control of their lives, You need to become the boss of you, Be the drirector of the stage that you do your movie on, most people that drink to much are just lost actors, looking for a driector, become your own, Stand up and be accounted for, don't just be a waste of skin, I was, And then I took over my life, Thank you Buddha, Thank you God, May health and happiness be with you and yours, GOOD LUCK, The life of the people is in the land.

Take care, Koto, Keeper of the ocean