Trip Report : Laundering My Passport

It all started a few weeks ago when, whilst hanging out the laundry I came across a soggy passport that had done the rounds in the pocket of my trousers.

Application of TLC and a hairdryer established that the passport was not too badly damaged; indeed the photo page was totally unscathed. However, closer examination revealed that whereas the passport had been getting quite full, with only a few empty pages left, now there seemed many more empty pages. Countries such as Cambodia, Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Australia, et al all used waterproof ink, but not Thailand. Consigned to oblivion where my latest retirement visa stamps, re-entry permit, and so on.

Living in Pattaya and holding a British passport, the obvious thing was a trip to see Barry Kenyon, the Hon. British Consul, at his early morning clinic.

His advice: firstly get a new passport. Better to apply in person at the embassy and get the photos taken in Bangkok at a shop near the embassy who understand the new rules. Secondly, go to Bangkok Immigration in Suan Phlu to get the stamps transferred, Jomtien will not do it as the originals are unreadable.

The UK government has, with the introduction of the chipped style of passport containing biometrics, tightened up the regulations about acceptable photos, and Pattaya photo shops certainly don’t seem to be capable of understanding the requirements.

So, downloaded the application form from the embassy website and filed it in. Did not need any other documentation other than the old damaged passport. The advice was also get to the embassy early to avoid the queues, and don’t carry mobile phone or camera.

So, the taxi arrived at 0530 on Friday morning, and arrived at the embassy around 0745 for opening time of 0800. Small queue already forming, and I asked one of the ever present touts where was the nearest photo shop. They led me to one very close by, but it did not open until 0900. At that point the tout ceased being helpful, saying “no other shops”. Not entirely believing that I wandered off on my own, and, sure enough, just over the road was another shop that opened at 0800. 150 baht later I had 6 copies of a photo, and was back at the embassy.

I was number 5 on the auto queuing system, and 3 and 4 were already being dealt with. The whole process was over very quickly, the application was checked as being acceptable, and I was out again by 0845 having paid the requisite fee of xx for a 48 page passport. They would have posted the new passport to me, but as I had the stamps to transfer I opted to collect it in 2 weeks time.

Fast forward 2 weeks. I went up to Bangkok on the Thursday night, and arrived at the embassy just before 0800. In and out by 0815 with new passport.

(As an aside, although the embassy quote 10 working days or 2 elapsed weeks to issue the passport, the date of issue on my new one was only 4 working days after I submitted the application)

Arrived at the immigration office in Suan Phlu just before 0900 – they open at 0830 – to scenes of chaos and confusion. Many people milling around. Go to the information counter and explain what I need. Am given form and told to go to room 101.

Fill in the form and go to the information counter in room 101. Clerk looks over the passports and form and tells me I must go and photocopy both passports. Outside and over the road to the copy shop, then back to the information desk. Another check, and directed to a counter further down the room.

Here all the paperwork is taken, and I am given a numbered card and told to wait. After about 15 minutes, my passport reaches the top of the pile, and a clerk then spends another 15 minutes reading and looking at it. I am called up, handed back the passports and told to go to the main information desk to get a ticket for counter 4 back in the main area.

Do this, and am called straight away to counter 4, which is labeled as being for “lost passports” Another 15 minutes of examination by the clerk and he finally attempts to access the computer system. After much muttering at the screen of an antiquated VDU based system he declares I am not on the computer system, and therefore he can do nothing for me at all. I talk to him nicely and calmly, explaining when and where I last entered Thailand, when and where my last renewal, 90 day report etc were done. He suggests I go back to Jomtien and ask them to look at the problem. I ask him if he can give me a letter to Jomtien explaining the problem; initially he says “no” but then goes off to talk to a supervisor.

Supervisor seems to tell him to use a different computer system. There is just one PC in the whole area, labeled “PISCES”. After switching this system on, and going through an obviously unfamiliar logon routine, there are all my records. He declares he needs more photocopies of my old passport so I go outside again to do the necessary. He then disappears for 20 minutes and then gives me back my passport having taken a whole page to resurrect my most recent entry stamp (6 months ago at Suvarnabhumi). He tells me that the other stamps will be done by room 507, so of I go again.

In room 507 we go through the same process again; as they only have the old system I am not there, so they refuse to do anything more for me, and tell me “go Jomtien” I cajole the lady into writing a note for Jomtien explaining the situation., and call it a day.

Monday morning 0830 and I am at Jomtien. Hordes of farang milling around, and an officer standing in front of the ticket machine inspecting everyone’s documents, refusing to let them take a ticket unless all is filled in according to his satisfaction. Not having a form I approach with trepidation but he takes one look at the passports, tells me to go get some photocopies, and hands me a ticket for counter 8, the retirement visa counter. Unfortunately the number on the ticket is called straight away, so I dash out to get the photocopies and get back just as the next number is being called for that counter.

I hover at the desk and smile at the officer; he stops looking at the next customer, takes 20 seconds to examine my passports, hands me a numbered ticket and says come back tomorrow to collect. I thank him profusely, and he apologizes that he cannot do the stamps sooner!

Tuesday afternoon and I go back to collect my passports – everything done! Another 2 pages taken up by retirement stamps, multi entry permit and what seems to be a history.

A couple of asides – I dressed in black slacks and shirt for Suan Phlu, and light coloured slacks and shirt for Jomtien. No idea if it helped, but it certainly did no harm. Also, the copy shop outside Suan Phlu charges 1 baht per page, the copy shop outside Jomtien charges 5 baht per page.

Funny, but this was sort of a deja vú.

I have seen stories like this before here on Thai visa. I don´t know why I myself never have been successful in forgetting my passport in the laundry bag...

Anyway, thx for the good report.