Gps Navigators For Car In Thai,gps Tracking

Sunmax

I want to buy gps nuvi 200W for navigator in car.In thai this thing I thing new techology in thai very easy when we go to bkk or some where .But not many shop not many brand in thai.If you know know some shop they are good serve plesae advise me.Thank you :o

Hi Sunmax,

Welcome to Thaivisa!

I use the Mio c220. Most shops where you can buy it will put the maps inside, you can choose Thai language or English language.

The mio can speak Thai or English, and also the menu can be set to English or Thai.

Should be perfect for you!

11,900 Baht including the Thailand maps!

I want to buy gps nuvi 200W for navigator in car.In thai this thing I thing new techology in thai very easy when we go to bkk or some where .But not many shop not many brand in thai.If you know know some shop they are good serve plesae advise me.Thank you :o

Dear SunMax,

Below you will find a site in the Thai and English language about the Garmin Nuvi 200W.

http://www.gadgetrend.com/gps_nuvi200w.php

Chock dee, krap.

Petch01

• 6 months later...

I am looking for a thai capable, GPS, with bluetooth and TV tuner...

My thai BIL is hungry for one and i am thinking i can buy one here in USA, get thai maps loaded and send it over...

portable would be preferable, but in-dash would be considered.

thanks

I have three Garmin units. An eTrex Legend CX, a Street pilot 2610 and a new Nuvi 750. The Nuvi picks up the satellites much quicker than the other two and it is MUCH more sensitive. I can even use it in my house.

My car has an auxiliary audio jack that can plug into the Nuvi and it works great for playing audio books and MP3's The FM transmitter isn't as good but not too bad either. The 750 doesn't have Bluetooth or road reports. Road reports don't work in Thailand anyways and I have no use for Bluetooth.

All said, the 2610 has more features (tabs) but the satellite sensitivity isn't nearly as good as the Nuvi. Why three units? The 2610 goes in my truck, the Nuvi in the car and the waterproof eTrex for the motorbike and hiking. I can also put the Nuvi in my pocket which is convenient. One neat thing is if you can't find your car in the huge parking lots, the Nuvi will find it for you. My car doesn't have an MP3 player so the Nuvi is great for that.

I wouldn't trade the 2610 Street Pilot for another Nuvi. The 2610 has a remote control which is quite handy. The 2610 is obsolete so you can find them very cheap on eBay.

I didn't say much about the little eTrex but it will do everything the big screen units do except talk. It only beeps. If I didn't like toys, the eTrex would be good enough for everything.

• 2 weeks later...
I have three Garmin units. An eTrex Legend CX, a Street pilot 2610 and a new Nuvi 750. The Nuvi picks up the satellites much quicker than the other two and it is MUCH more sensitive. I can even use it in my house.

My car has an auxiliary audio jack that can plug into the Nuvi and it works great for playing audio books and MP3's The FM transmitter isn't as good but not too bad either. The 750 doesn't have Bluetooth or road reports. Road reports don't work in Thailand anyways and I have no use for Bluetooth.

All said, the 2610 has more features (tabs) but the satellite sensitivity isn't nearly as good as the Nuvi. Why three units? The 2610 goes in my truck, the Nuvi in the car and the waterproof eTrex for the motorbike and hiking. I can also put the Nuvi in my pocket which is convenient. One neat thing is if you can't find your car in the huge parking lots, the Nuvi will find it for you. My car doesn't have an MP3 player so the Nuvi is great for that.

I wouldn't trade the 2610 Street Pilot for another Nuvi. The 2610 has a remote control which is quite handy. The 2610 is obsolete so you can find them very cheap on eBay.

I didn't say much about the little eTrex but it will do everything the big screen units do except talk. It only beeps. If I didn't like toys, the eTrex would be good enough for everything.

Hi Gary,

Sounds like you have a lot of knowledge on automotive GPS systems, and you can probably answer my question in your sleep. I just got my retirement visa and now I can plan to stay here long term :o so I am now looking to buy a new car next month and expect to tour Thailand extensively. I want my car to somehow be GPS equipped, preferably in-dash (without dash modification) but I think this may not be a practical approach unless the car's DVD player can be used for the GPS display. It looks like I will be buying either a new 2009 Honda City or a 2008 Toyota Altis. The Altis offers an in-dash DVD player (not sure if this will be a City option). Should I consider getting a factory installed DVD player in my new car to somehow use in conjunction with a (Garmin I assume) GPS ? Or is a hand-held GPS the most practical way to go, or maybe a dash mount? Not worried about the cost - accuracy is the most important consideration so I don't miss some turn somewhere. English display is a necessity but being switchable to Thai would be helpful for my wife to help out. Thank you!

Might be usefull for those occasions you roll in so pissed ya can't even find the toilet... :o

Hi Gary,

Sounds like you have a lot of knowledge on automotive GPS systems, and you can probably answer my question in your sleep. I just got my retirement visa and now I can plan to stay here long term :D so I am now looking to buy a new car next month and expect to tour Thailand extensively. I want my car to somehow be GPS equipped, preferably in-dash (without dash modification) but I think this may not be a practical approach unless the car's DVD player can be used for the GPS display. It looks like I will be buying either a new 2009 Honda City or a 2008 Toyota Altis. The Altis offers an in-dash DVD player (not sure if this will be a City option). Should I consider getting a factory installed DVD player in my new car to somehow use in conjunction with a (Garmin I assume) GPS ? Or is a hand-held GPS the most practical way to go, or maybe a dash mount? Not worried about the cost - accuracy is the most important consideration so I don't miss some turn somewhere. English display is a necessity but being switchable to Thai would be helpful for my wife to help out. Thank you!

I haven't heard many people talking about the Factory fitted GPS systems.

When I asked Toyota the sales staff couldn't even tell me who provided the map.

I think its fair to say the ESRI map (which is used by both MIO and Garmin - I think) is acknowledged as the best map available for Thailand.

I have travelled around Thailand a lot and have found a few mistakes in the ESRI maps but nowt enough for me to ditch it or switch it for another.

On another related point. If you intend doing a lot of mileage on your arrival why not put those miles on somebody elses car and rent for a few weeks.

If you did rent then it would make even more sense to buy a removable GPS like a Nuvi so its easy to put in your own car once you've finished abusing your rental car :o

Just what I would do.

Cheers

I have travelled around Thailand a lot and have found a few mistakes in the ESRI maps but nowt enough for me to ditch it or switch it for another.

It was a typo but knowing I'm from Yorkshire who's going to believe me.

Cheers

Hi Gary,

Sounds like you have a lot of knowledge on automotive GPS systems, and you can probably answer my question in your sleep. I just got my retirement visa and now I can plan to stay here long term :o so I am now looking to buy a new car next month and expect to tour Thailand extensively. I want my car to somehow be GPS equipped, preferably in-dash (without dash modification) but I think this may not be a practical approach unless the car's DVD player can be used for the GPS display. It looks like I will be buying either a new 2009 Honda City or a 2008 Toyota Altis. The Altis offers an in-dash DVD player (not sure if this will be a City option). Should I consider getting a factory installed DVD player in my new car to somehow use in conjunction with a (Garmin I assume) GPS ? Or is a hand-held GPS the most practical way to go, or maybe a dash mount? Not worried about the cost - accuracy is the most important consideration so I don't miss some turn somewhere. English display is a necessity but being switchable to Thai would be helpful for my wife to help out. Thank you!

If it were me, I'd avoid the in dash units. They become obsolete pretty quickly. Ordinarily you update the maps every year and anyone with an in dash unit has had problems. My latest Nuvi 750 has FM transmitter ability and you can play audio books or MP3 music from the unit or the memory card. It also has an audio jack that I use a cable to plug into my aux car stereo jack. I prefer the cable jack. With either method, the Nuvi interrupts whatever is playing to alert you to up coming turns. The Nuvi 710 that is sold here in Thailand has road reports that DON'T work here and has Bluetooth which I wasn't interested in. Both the 710 and the 750 can speak in Thai. The units are small enough to put in your pocket and when you take it out of the holder, it remembers where you are at so if you do forget where you parked it will guide you back. The unit gets the power from the holder so there are no wires to worry about unless you use the audio jack rather than the FM transmitter. ESRI has the 2009 map update available as of 21 August. Gadget Trend charges about 25,000 baht for the 710 Nuvi. You can save some money by ordering the unit from the US and buying the map here for 7,000 baht if you want to go to the bother. Garmin US also sells the Thailand map for about $120 but there are no updates available. If you buy the map from Garmin, you will have to have it sent to someone in the US.

There are other brands available here in Thailand but I have never tried them and I like my Garmins. I did play with a GPS phone and found it totally not worth bothering with. I LIKE the big screens.

I'll add that the Nuvi has very good satellite reception. Much better than my other two units. I have no idea what kind of reception the in dash units have. They most likely use a remote antenna of some kind.

You can mount the Nuvi on the dash with the furnished adhesive disk or use the windshield suction cup. I like the unit more near me so I used the glue on disk. Both use the same holder that plugs into the cigarette lighter. If I ever feel ambitious, I may find a way to wire it direct but I am hesitant about drilling a hole in my dash.

Edited by Gary A

Gary,

Have you had any problems with the suction cup?

Mine keeps falling off the windscreen.

A bit drastic but my solution has been to super glue it in place.

Cheers

I am not a big fan of suction cups either but the Garmin system is very good. You position the cup and then push a lever. None of that pushing and sliding around while you try to get the air out of it. Mine is still new and maybe when it gets a older it too will have problems. There is a bean bag type that sits on the dash. It works very well and doesn't slide around. Unfortunately the bean bag mount for my older 2610 Street pilot won't work with the Nuvi. Of course they want you to buy a new style for the newer units.

Hi Gary,

If it were me, I'd avoid the in dash units. They become obsolete pretty quickly. Ordinarily you update the maps every year and anyone with an in dash unit has had problems. My latest Nuvi 750 has FM transmitter ability and you can play audio books or MP3 music from the unit or the memory card. It also has an audio jack that I use a cable to plug into my aux car stereo jack. I prefer the cable jack. With either method, the Nuvi interrupts whatever is playing to alert you to up coming turns. The Nuvi 710 that is sold here in Thailand has road reports that DON'T work here and has Bluetooth which I wasn't interested in. Both the 710 and the 750 can speak in Thai. The units are small enough to put in your pocket and when you take it out of the holder, it remembers where you are at so if you do forget where you parked it will guide you back. The unit gets the power from the holder so there are no wires to worry about unless you use the audio jack rather than the FM transmitter. ESRI has the 2009 map update available as of 21 August. Gadget Trend charges about 25,000 baht for the 710 Nuvi. You can save some money by ordering the unit from the US and buying the map here for 7,000 baht if you want to go to the bother. Garmin US also sells the Thailand map for about $120 but there are no updates available. If you buy the map from Garmin, you will have to have it sent to someone in the US.

There are other brands available here in Thailand but I have never tried them and I like my Garmins. I did play with a GPS phone and found it totally not worth bothering with. I LIKE the big screens.

I'll add that the Nuvi has very good satellite reception. Much better than my other two units. I have no idea what kind of reception the in dash units have. They most likely use a remote antenna of some kind.

You can mount the Nuvi on the dash with the furnished adhesive disk or use the windshield suction cup. I like the unit more near me so I used the glue on disk. Both use the same holder that plugs into the cigarette lighter. If I ever feel ambitious, I may find a way to wire it direct but I am hesitant about drilling a hole in my dash.

Thanks for replying with all the information I need. The Nuvi 750 appears to be just what I need, and the suction mount will be just fine. Two further questions please: 1) Does the ESRI map have small road detail for outlying areas of Thailand? This is where I would be traveling the most, spending little time in the cities. I have no idea how complete the maps are, and 2) I am in Thailand now. You mentioned maybe I should order from the USA then get the Thai map here - can a 750 be purchased in the states (online) then sent to me here in Lopburi? Or is that not practical since I've left the US already.

Looking forward to getting the 750.....it sounds great!! :D

You can order it from the US but the shipping fee as well as the customs charge is quite expensive, it cost me $49. Then the customs added 30 percent. The ESRI map from Gadget Trend cost me another 7,000 baht.

The map indeed has many goat paths and dirt roads. I too live out in the boonies so that was important to me.