Backpackers

DJ Pat

Backpacker: Pain in the arse?  

238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As the bastard that's responsible for bringing a lot of them to Thonglor (20-40 newbies per day) I'd have to say that about 90-95% of them are nice genuine people - the rest are the rat bags you've all been complaining about.

They are not all poor - infact many of them are quite well healed, taking months or even years off between either study or work.

But maybe I just get a better class than those staying on Khaosan Rd?

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the bastard that's responsible for bringing a lot of them to Thonglor (20-40 newbies per day) I'd have to say that about 90-95% of them are nice genuine people - the rest are the rat bags you've all been complaining about.

They are not all poor - infact many of them are quite well healed, taking months or even years off between either study or work.

I'd say none are poor Big John.

How could they get here without some lolly. I knowthere's a few scum bags surviving off the dole in Bangers and ther'es the hippy scum smoking opium up north who probably don't have any cash but the backpackers who dress like circus freaks and 'hang out' on Khao San have all got a reservoir of lolly to get by on.

Rich people playing poor. Sucks.

How much do you charge for a large Chang?

Still 40 B's down KS I think.

Maybe you're attracting a better class of backpacker!

Merry Xmas to you.

How could they get here without some lolly. I knowthere's a few scum bags surviving off the dole in Bangers and ther'es the hippy scum smoking opium up north who probably don't have any cash but the backpackers who dress like circus freaks and 'hang out' on Khao San have all got a reservoir of lolly to get by on.

Merry Xmas to you.

His large Chang's not the cheapest but it's less than the small Chang you buy in the Nana outlets. I think I still owe him for a bottle of water I swiped from his fridge. :o

Merry Xmas to you.

His large Chang's not the cheapest but it's less than the small Chang you buy in the Nana outlets. I think I still owe him for a bottle of water I swiped from his fridge. :o

I know!

He's got your picture posted all over ThongLo "Wanted dead or alive"! :D

Merry Xmas to you.

I know!

He's got your picture posted all over ThongLo "Wanted dead or alive"! :D

There's more bad news Dickie. Someone scratched out the 'or alive' bit. :D

And......the bounty is only 10 baht and a KFC combo meal discount coupon. :D

Christmas day with all the Backpackers in Big Johns could potentially be carnage, with the spread John's putting out and the backpackers all only wanting 15 baht meals I forsee a huge conflict....hmmmm

Probably not as big a conflict as there would be if you turned up with your decks hoping to create a little 'party atmosphere' :o

Christmas day with all the Backpackers in Big Johns could potentially be carnage, with the spread John's putting out and the backpackers all only wanting 15 baht meals I forsee a huge conflict....hmmmm

Probably not as big a conflict as there would be if you turned up with your decks hoping to create a little 'party atmosphere' :D

:o:D:D

Probably not as big a conflict as there would be if you turned up with your decks hoping to create a little 'party atmosphere' :D

Do you mean his turntable decks or student 'deks'? :o

Probably not as big a conflict as there would be if you turned up with your decks hoping to create a little 'party atmosphere' :o

Good one. I'm touched!!

well as i have nothing to do over cm and ny...this old fart of 50 plus is going on a backpackers, with a small backpack, tour through cambodia and vietnam :D

i tell you what with all the money in the world nothing beats getting of the beaten track from time-to-time :D

merry christmas :D

oh...forgot to add...don't call me a cheap charly or i bash you :o

Edited by kreon

well as i have nothing to do over cm and ny...this old fart of 50 plus is going on a backpackers, with a small backpack, tour through cambodia and vietnam :D

i tell you what with all the money in the world nothing beats getting of the beaten track from time-to-time :D

merry christmas :D

oh...forgot to add...don't call me a cheap charly or i bash you :o

WARNING WARNING A sophisticate is in the immediate area :D

i tell you what with all the money in the world nothing beats getting of the beaten track from time-to-time

Depends wether you live there or not :D , When I go on Hols I like places where there are people, bars, clubs,nice hotels, beaches,shops ect, but I sometimes take a backpack if it only for a few days.

I remember one time down in Phuket, this bloke started talking to me in a bar, the usual stuff him "you here on holidays" Me "yes" (cos I was), Him "been here long" me "just arrived, but been here lots of times". He then starts telling me I should get out and see the real thailand :o:D Yea right..... (he was an ok bloke though and an easy mistake to make)

Cheers RC

i tell you what with all the money in the world nothing beats getting of the beaten track from time-to-time

Depends wether you live there or not :D , When I go on Hols I like places where there are people, bars, clubs,nice hotels, beaches,shops ect, but I sometimes take a backpack if it only for a few days.

I remember one time down in Phuket, this bloke started talking to me in a bar, the usual stuff him "you here on holidays" Me "yes" (cos I was), Him "been here long" me "just arrived, but been here lots of times". He then starts telling me I should get out and see the real thailand :o:D Yea right..... (he was an ok bloke though and an easy mistake to make)

Cheers RC

as i live here been there done that :D

as just like to explore the south coast for some investment opportunies and some comfort along the way :D

I remember one time down in Phuket, this bloke started talking to me in a bar, the usual stuff him "you here on holidays" Me "yes" (cos I was), Him "been here long" me "just arrived, but been here lots of times". He then starts telling me I should get out and see the real thailand :D:D Yea right..... (he was an ok bloke though and an easy mistake to make)

Cheers RC

as just like to explore the south coast for some investment opportunies and some comfort along the way :D

Good for you Kreon. I wish I could do the same. Now you've made me envious. :D

Happy Trails.

:D:o:D

I remember one time down in Phuket, this bloke started talking to me in a bar, the usual stuff him "you here on holidays" Me "yes" (cos I was), Him "been here long" me "just arrived, but been here lots of times". He then starts telling me I should get out and see the real thailand :D:D Yea right..... (he was an ok bloke though and an easy mistake to make)

Cheers RC

Just to clarify, I live in the middle of nowhere(off the beaten track), thats why I don't I dont want to visit there on hols :o

I may get some grief for this, so here goes nothing. The very reason i am her in Thailand is because i fell for its many charms at the very start of my year trip.

Upon my arrival home i realised that the sterile over controlled life in the west was not for me.

I was a backpacker for a whole year and i never smelt or wanted for a shave, i also never wore those baggy fishermans pants in lurid colours ( they are only for those ambassaders of diplomacy, isralis anyway).

The rucksack is an absolute must, like a snail you are carrying your life. It can be such a pain lifting it that once its on its on, sorry bts users.

Some of the most interesting people i have ever met has been on local buses that i took to save 50 baht and to 'do it like the locals'...man!

I resent most of the slurs on backpackers that i have read here as i saw far more of this area of the world than some of the contributers to this site can imagine, as do a large number of the backpacker types.

The lonly planet/rough guide clutching rabbit in head lights types just haven't broke free of the ant trail.

I had 4 weeks in Myanmar/Burma minus a guide book, saw some great stuff that wll stay with me for ever.

Dont skin me for this....please

I may get some grief for this, so here goes nothing.  The very reason i am her in Thailand is because i fell for its many charms at the very start of my year trip. 

Upon my arrival home i realised that the sterile over controlled life in the west was not for me.

I was a backpacker for a whole year and i never smelt or wanted for a shave, i also never wore those baggy fishermans pants in lurid colours ( they are only for those ambassaders of diplomacy, isralis anyway).

The rucksack is an absolute must, like a snail you are carrying your life.  It can be such a pain lifting it  that once its on its on, sorry bts users.

Some of the most interesting people i have ever met has been on local buses that i took to save 50 baht and to 'do it like the locals'...man!

I resent most of the slurs on backpackers that i have read here as i saw far more of this area of the world than some of the contributers to this site can imagine, as do a large number of the backpacker types.

The lonly planet/rough guide clutching rabbit in head lights types just haven't broke free of the ant trail.

I had 4 weeks in Myanmar/Burma minus a guide book, saw some great stuff that wll stay with me for ever.

Dont skin me for this....please

Forget the Lonely Planet. Get a spelling book.

I used to be one of those pain-in-the-arse types with a backpack, albeit a yuppy one staying in mid-range places and not drinking Chang. I live in los today (6 years on) and am married to a Thai and we have a luuk kreung together - handsome little chap that he is. When we go on holiday, I'll still sometimes take a backpack primarily for the convenience side of it and obviously don't class myself has a backpacker, but am definitely still a pain in the arse...metaphorically speaking :o

[i had some old friends come into town. When it was time for them to go, I took them to the bus station as they were headed to bangkok (from Chiang Mai). The cheapest fair was 300 baht. They refused to pay insisting that they got a bus (with all other backpackers of course) from Kao San to Tah Pae gate for 50 baht. So I had to take them across town where they found a deal on an all white bus for 150 baht. :o

in an effort to close this silly thread the BBC considers package tourists to be 'tourists' in the wake of this present disaster. Independant travellers are considered to be 'backpackers'.

I have terrible backpacker stories...some dreadlocked ###### in Mexico City regaling the masses about Timbuktu (I kid you not) and some white girl in Managua telling me to chill out on New Years Eve 1987 when as an engineer I had toured the power generation facilities and was distressed to find that 60% of the generation capacity was not available due to the US embargo...

they don't only stink...

Happy New Year to all...with reflextion on the present calamity

• 2 weeks later...

Why is someone with a backpack called a backpacker, you don't call someone with a suitcase a suitcaser.

I hate the people who are travelling with the lonely planet and use it like a bible.

most bp are okay