Backpackers

DJ Pat

Backpacker: Pain in the arse?  

238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Lonely Planet induced snobbery

Is exactly why they don't say too much about Pattaya

I agree.In addition I would cheerfully admit snobbery on this basis it implies discrimination against the second rate and sordid.As to the class discrimination aspect of snobbery this is not a major factor in my case (given my working class origins of which I am proud), although one cannot help noticing in Pattaya the large numbers of ugly working class drunken brutes -both sexes-especially from the UK.

so has BKK.

so has phuket.

so has samui.

etc etc.

Snobbery bull****, anyone who looks down on me can kiss my **** :o

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree.In addition I would cheerfully admit snobbery on this basis it implies discrimination against the second rate and sordid.As to the class discrimination aspect of snobbery this is not a major factor in my case (given my working class origins of which I am proud), although one cannot help noticing in Pattaya the large numbers of ugly working class drunken brutes -both sexes-especially from the UK.

so has BKK.

so has phuket.

so has samui.

etc etc.

Snobbery bull****, anyone who looks down on me can kiss my **** :o

Up to a point but Pattaya attracts most of these brutes, as visitors and residents.Hope your boorish little outburst makes you feel a little better.

so has BKK.

so has phuket.

so has samui.

etc etc.

Snobbery bull****, anyone who looks down on me can kiss my **** :D

Up to a point but Pattaya attracts most of these brutes, as visitors and residents.Hope your boorish little outburst makes you feel a little better.

I have to be really honest now -

Boris you really are a sad narrow minded idiot are'nt you? :o

I'll tell you what, I'll live in Pattaya with the rest of the whores, brutes and scum of the earth and you can live in your little corner of paradise. And hopefully you'll never find the need to come to this disgusting little city. Hows that?

so has BKK.

so has phuket.

so has samui.

etc etc.

I'll tell you what, I'll live in Pattaya with the rest of the whores, brutes and scum of the earth and you can live in your little corner of paradise. And hopefully you'll never find the need to come to this disgusting little city. Hows that?

Sounds good to me.But if you don't mind (or even if you do) I'll come down every year or so to laugh at the freaks.I might even visit your bar.

Please Boorus, go away and get a hobbie. Go and do etchings of ancient Khmer temples or something.

You sound like you don't know how to enjoy yourself.

If you'd rather go to Pataya to look at the others enjoying themselves instead of geting amongst it......................

You're wierd. :o

so has BKK.

so has phuket.

so has samui.

etc etc.

Sounds good to me.But if you don't mind (or even if you do) I'll come down every year or so to laugh at the freaks.I might even visit your bar.

You're most welcome :D

I'll even let you buy me a beer. :D

back on topic then... before i assumed my current responsibilities in Thailand I was an avid backpacker & could tell you a tale or two...

I recall once when I was hiking alone in the Smokey Mts. and having sprained my ankle I was icing it in a nice 'n cold mountain stream. With the noise of the stream a black bear got w/in 8-10 feet of me and my tent before we noticed each other. I stood up thus cracking a stick and the thing let out a growl that'd make a grown man piss himself. Luckily I backed away and after some fairly herioc yelling & waving of my walking stick to intimidate him, he ran went away. That was of course after he knocked over my tent and put a nice claw mark thru my Gideons Bible that Pastor Hubble had given me some years before. My food was hung up and I hadn't eaten at the site, but whomever was there the nite before left a mess. Had people been cleaner it would have made my first solo backpacking trip a lot less nerve racking, but not nearly as good a story.

back on topic then... before i assumed my current responsibilities in Thailand I was an avid backpacker & could tell you a tale or two...

I recall once when I was hiking alone in the Smokey Mts. and having sprained my ankle I was icing it in a nice 'n cold mountain stream. With the noise of the stream a black bear got w/in 8-10 feet of me and my tent before we noticed each other. I stood up thus cracking a stick and the thing let out a growl that'd make a grown man piss himself. Luckily I backed away and after some fairly herioc yelling & waving of my walking stick to intimidate him, he ran went away. That was of course after he knocked over my tent and put a nice claw mark thru my Gideons Bible that Pastor Hubble had given me some years before. My food was hung up and I hadn't eaten at the site, but whomever was there the nite before left a mess. Had people been cleaner it would have made my first solo backpacking trip a lot less nerve racking, but not nearly as good a story.

hehehe :o

Sorry to hear about your bible Joe but there's back-packing and there's the 'slumming by choice' that the scum that pollute Thailand, India and Bali do.

If you're going for an extended trip into the nether regions of a country you have to carry all your needs on your back. In your back-pack in fact. There's a mile of difference between that and city bred losers who choose to dress like clowns, skive on showers and seek out the cheapest method of existence in a third world country simply for the 'cultural experience maaaan'.

Sorry to hear about your bible Joe but there's back-packing and there's the 'slumming by choice' that the scum that pollute Thailand, India and Bali do.

What sort of comment is that? :D Or are you one of the aforementioned 'scum'?

If you're going for an extended trip into the nether regions of a country you have to carry all your needs on your back. In your back-pack in fact. There's a mile of difference between that and city bred losers who choose to dress like clowns, skive on showers and seek out the cheapest method of existence in a third world country simply for the 'cultural experience maaaan'.

I wore what was comfortable, which wasn't easy in a hot country, soon learnt the difference between living in soapieland and LoS and showered more and tried to live dirt cheap like the locals to see what it was like. I was bred in the Sticks not the city so I can only conclude that you're just a bit too superior to the rest of us. Or maybe the word should be half that length. :o

"I recall once when I was hiking alone in the Smokey Mts. and having sprained my ankle I was icing it in a nice 'n cold mountain stream. With the noise of the stream a black bear got w/in 8-10 feet of me and my tent before we noticed each other. I stood up thus cracking a stick and the thing let out a growl that'd make a grown man piss himself. Luckily I backed away and after some fairly herioc yelling & waving of my walking stick to intimidate him, he ran went away. That was of course after he knocked over my tent and put a nice claw mark thru my Gideons Bible that Pastor Hubble had given me some years before. My food was hung up and I hadn't eaten at the site, but whomever was there the nite before left a mess. Had people been cleaner it would have made my first solo backpacking trip a lot less nerve racking, but not nearly as good a story."

What a LARGE bucket of horse feathers!

You've never been closer to a black bear than the city zoo my friend. :o:D

Go peddle your drivel somewhere else.

~WISteve

"I recall once when I was hiking alone in the Smokey Mts. and having sprained my ankle I was icing it in a nice 'n cold mountain stream. With the noise of the stream a black bear got w/in 8-10 feet of me and my tent before we noticed each other. I stood up thus cracking a stick and the thing let out a growl that'd make a grown man piss himself. Luckily I backed away and after some fairly herioc yelling & waving of my walking stick to intimidate him, he ran went away. That was of course after he knocked over my tent and put a nice claw mark thru my Gideons Bible that Pastor Hubble had given me some years before. My food was hung up and I hadn't eaten at the site, but whomever was there the nite before left a mess. Had people been cleaner it would have made my first solo backpacking trip a lot less nerve racking, but not nearly as good a story."

You've never been closer to a black bear than the city zoo my friend. :o  :D

~WISteve

Your right there. Stream or no stream, bears don't depend on hearing so much as smell and wouldv'e smelt you a mile off and been nowhere near you, especially in the day time.

I wore what was comfortable, which wasn't easy in a hot country, soon learnt the difference between living in soapieland and LoS and showered more and tried to live dirt cheap like the locals to see what it was like. I was bred in the Sticks not the city so I can only conclude that you're just a bit too superior to the rest of us. Or maybe the word should be half that length. :o

Thanks for reminding me Dickiehead, another things that pisses me off about scummy backpackers is they spend half their time in internet cafes writing twenty pages of boring <deleted> to all their uni friends who aren't as cool as them!

You're right in one point. I am superior to you but who are 'the rest of us' you're referring to?

Your red-neck, in bred cousins?

Idiots like you crack me up. "Tried to live cheap to see what it was like"

Did you run through a mine-field so you could find out what life's like with one leg.

You can say at home in No-Bone Nebraska and find what hunger's like. That way you can save on air travel.

there's back-packing and there's the 'slumming by choice' that the scum that pollute Thailand, India and Bali do.
Absolutely SPOT ON poolcleaner. This a very important point to remember. The term "Backpacker" is a very general one which has been turned around to mean the above. "Slumming by choice" types are not Backpackers per se, they are just BUMS!
There's a mile of difference between that and city bred losers who choose to dress like clowns, skive on showers and seek out the cheapest method of existence in a third world country simply for the 'cultural experience maaaan'.

Again, great point my chlorine battering friend! These beatniks come here to "find themselves" and to be "an individual" - along with the tens of thousands of other "individuals" who all look the <deleted> same - like Wonkers!

To me a Backpacker, a genuine Backpacker, is an explorer, one who wants to discover new places & cultures but still show respect to his/her hosts...all be it on a smaller daily budget but over a longer time than "regular" holidaymakers!

Remember the difference!

We need a new term for what this thread refers to as a Backpacker, the term "Independent Traveller" seems to be trendy at present!

Thanks for reminding me Dickiehead, another things that pisses me off about scummy backpackers is they spend half their time in internet cafes writing twenty pages of boring <deleted> to all their uni friends who aren't as cool as them!

Whereas you write a few paragraphs of equally boring <deleted> to this forum, populated by those who aren't as wise as you. Wow!

You're right in one point. I am superior to you but who are 'the rest of us' you're referring to?

Your red-neck, in bred cousins?

"soon learnt the difference between living in soapieland and LoS" tends to mark me out as a Brit, you geographically-challenged pillock. Your halo is slipping already.

Why not? It's sooooo easy going places with a large wad and saying "I've experienced it all" which, from your postings, you're implying you have. Nothing wrong with trying to live on a pittance, at least I can say that £3.50/day is sufficient to survive in LoS.

Did you run through a mine-field so you could find out what life's like with one leg.

Is that the reason for your lack of wit?

You can say at home in No-Bone Nebraska and find what hunger's like. That way you can save on air travel.

I don't think the UK has annexed Nebraska, but I could be wrong. As you say I live there then I probably do, so thanks for the advice.

Poolcleaner? I'd have thought bogcleaner would have been more accurate, it would at least explain from where you get your shit.

Why not? It's sooooo easy going places with a large wad and saying "I've experienced it all" which, from your postings, you're implying you have. Nothing wrong with trying to live on a pittance, at least I can say that £3.50/day is sufficient to survive in LoS.

Poolcleaner? I'd have thought bogcleaner would have been more accurate, it would at least explain from where you get your shit.

While I'm not particularly interested in a constant exchange of posts with you I'm forced to respond to this 'gem'.

Sad people like you who feel you have to 'experience' other cultures and then tell the world about it to prop up a lagging self esteem do piss me off!

No where have I intimated that I have wads of cash or in fact that I've experienced anything. I'm completely happy with what I do nothing you can write will change that but obviously you're a little sensitive to the fact that when normal people choose to take a nonsensical 'vow of poverty' to 'experience culture' they are obviously called out as fakes. Strikes a sensitive spot Dickie? Bit guilty of slumming are you?

Bet when you get home the dreadies come out and you shave and wash and get back to work in comfort again.

I'm the same guy every day. No matter where I am.

Poolcleaner? I'd have thought bogcleaner would have been more accurate, it would at least explain from where you get your shit. :o

yeah, good one! I'll change my nik if you change yours to 'complete and utter <deleted>'

You've never been closer to a black bear than the city zoo my friend. :o  :D

~WISteve

Your right there. Stream or no stream, bears don't depend on hearing so much as smell and wouldv'e smelt you a mile off and been nowhere near you, especially in the day time.

The record is not as clean for black bears that come into campgrounds. They come because they are hungry, and they usually are not tame enough to feel truly comfortable near people. They occasionally cause minor injuries but frequently do property damage. In my experience, no matter how bold they seemed, they still recognized aggressive human behavior and always ran away when I yelled and ran toward them. For an even bigger response, watch their terror when a group yells and runs toward them.

If a bear seems to insist on staying for lunch, pepper spray in its eyes can change its mind. The spray is harmless. It's not teargas – not Mace. It's what mailmen have used on dogs for 30 years, and it works as well on bears as it does on dogs. They don't go away mad, they just go away – usually fast.

rest of story
Black Bear Attacks in the News

Black bears are dangerous. They can and do kill people.

Black bears are curious and adaptable. They quickly become accustomed to human activity, which leads to aggressive food gathering habits. Black bear have also been known to stalk people – following them or circling to approach from ahead. Bears will defend their territory – especially if it is a food source. Finally, females (known as sows) are very aggressive in attacking real or perceived threats to their cubs.

more links

Bet when you get home the dreadies come out and you shave and wash and get back to work in comfort again.

I'm the same guy every day. No matter where I am.

Wise words poolcleaner - you are talking sense as you have throughout this thread!

This principal applies to everyone, if you're trying to be someone else, the REAL you won't be able to take in all that you are lerning!

"Keep On Rockin' In The Free World!"

:o