Moving Back To Canada

Issangeorge

I have decided to move back to Canada, it is so cold here and has been since the end of December I have decided that if I move back to Canada at least the houses and buildings have heat and as long as I stay inside i won't be cold. Okay I'm only kidding, but this is my fifth winter living in Issan and i don't remember the other winters being as cold. Sure there were cold days but almost everyone warmed up by about 10 and i was back in a short sleeve shirt and sometimes even shorts, but this year there have been far too many days that I have had to wear a jacket or sweater all day and there is no place to go to get warm, no buildings have heat. I live in Kalasin, does anybody else in the area feel that this winter has been cold, or is it only me? Also does anyone know where an electric, or even better propane heater can be bought? Issangeorge.

I have decided to move back to Canada, it is so cold here and has been since the end of December I have decided that if I move back to Canada at least the houses and buildings have heat and as long as I stay inside i won't be cold. Okay I'm only kidding, but this is my fifth winter living in Issan and i don't remember the other winters being as cold. Sure there were cold days but almost everyone warmed up by about 10 and i was back in a short sleeve shirt and sometimes even shorts, but this year there have been far too many days that I have had to wear a jacket or sweater all day and there is no place to go to get warm, no buildings have heat. I live in Kalasin, does anybody else in the area feel that this winter has been cold, or is it only me? Also does anyone know where an electric, or even better propane heater can be bought? Issangeorge.

George,

There was a period 4 years ago where I considered it "dam_n Cold" and went on the same search as you are reequesting.... I found that Global Home in Khon Kaen does in fact sell small electric space heaters, but by the time I received the information and made the trip over there, I was told "all sold"... I had my wife ask if I could order one, and the Manager told us that they only get 4 to 6 every Nov. and that they are usually all sold out by mid Dec.... He said that they could not order any more as the "Home Office" did not have any more to send...

Since then I have been told that Home Pro in Khon Kaen sells them as well, although when we went in there last Dec., we could not find any nor anyone who even understood what we were talking about...

Just wrap-up, keep warm and wait... In another month we all will be dusting off and cleaning out the airconditioners...

Pianoman

Pianoman is right, four years ago it was bitterly cold here near Buriram, we were lighting fires in the garden to get warm. The next couple of years were not too bad with only a few days that you could really call cold.

This year it has dipped again and the cooler period seams to have lasted longer, I think it's all down to the airflow from China, and that is pretty much unpredictable.

We are buying a space heater for hubbies family next month, the bil is checking out local shops but we may have to bring from Bangkok if stock isn't available, as his mum is in her late 60's & an aunt well into her 70's lives with her too & this year they have really felt the cold & tell hubby all the time to bring over more fleeces & cardigans from Uk for all the cronies in her group.

Nov to around mid feb have always been cold in Khon Kaen (so I am told) but i think this year, with onset of age they are really feeling it bad.

Wish list for the house we will eventually build now includes at least one room with an open fireplace :o Toasty :D

I remember four years ago and it was cold but during the day it seemed to warm up so that you could wear a short sleeve shirt and most days even shorts and the cold spells didn't seem to last so long and definitely not into the middle of February. As for air conditioning I don't have it and don't want it, a fan is fine for me and though I may comment on the heat I won't complain about it, but the cold!!! I left Canada to get away from it. Issangeorge

I just checked the Thai Government Web site for Kalasin, from 1961-1990 the 30 year average Temperatures for Kalasin in February was an average low of 19.4 and a high of 32.8, and the world has warmed up since 1990. This February I don't think we have come close to those temperatures yet. The last seven days the low ranged from 13.2 to 18.5 and the high from 26.3 to 29.5, the next six days look a little better with the low ranging between 15 and 18 and the high between 27 and 32, but it will probably shape up to be one of the coldest Februaries ever. It seems to me at the beginning of February I was reading in either the Nation or Bangkok Post that this coming summer was going to be hot, with average temperatures in Isan over 35 and it was going to come early (around the middle of February) what the heck happened? As long as the temperature stays below about 42 I won't complain about the heat, I may remark about it, but not complain. I like the temperature about 35, with the nights about 25. As George Junior said, "Bring it on." Issangeorge.

Was in Nakhon Phanom last week and it was bloody freezing and I'm from Scotland so the cold doesn't bother me, trouble is I only had shorts and T-Shirts with me, never mind when we move there next year I'll buy a fan heater for the really cold days.

• 3 weeks later...

We plan on building a house in the next year or two told my wife we should have a fireplace...took a while for her to understand what I meant..anyway she says nobody in Issan knows how to build one. What do you guys say will I end up burning the house down or will I have to import a fireplace kit

We plan on building a house in the next year or two told my wife we should have a fireplace...took a while for her to understand what I meant..anyway she says nobody in Issan knows how to build one. What do you guys say will I end up burning the house down or will I have to import a fireplace kit

Room heating solution I used many moons ago in Nong Khai and Laos was one of those white porcelain wash basins full of sand.  Light a charcoal fire on top of it and sit around toasting hot dogs and marshmellows.  Oh, yes, best to have a ventilated room!

The kids would wrap khao nieow around a stick, dip in egg, and toast over the fire.

Mac

• 9 months later...

George

I am another canuck, livin in bkk the past 7 years or so and am off tomorrow for a spin around KK and area (nam nao, phu kradeung etc). actually hoping to find ....... snow hahaha. i now not really any chance but you never know i have seen it in some funny places.

i am told nam nao is about as cold as it gets in thailand and that now the overnight low can be 1 or 0 so if it is a unusually cold night you never know.... actually even frost on the grass or my windshield would be a treat.

any suggestions as to where it is really cold? lol

thx

k man

Speaking of cold Canadian winters, I was born in Regina Saskatchewan during the winter of 1947, which I believe was called the winter of the century.

http://forums.accuweather.com/index.php?showtopic=6067

No wonder why I never get even the slightest bit cold in the LOS! :o

BTW, the temperature at this very moment in Regina is -29C and 16 km/h winds (windchill: -40C) :D

Edited by Lopburi99

You can blame global warming for that.

John..... :o

Speaking of cold Canadian winters, I was born in Regina Saskatchewan during the winter of 1947, which I believe was called the winter of the century.

No wonder why I never get even the slightest bit cold in the LOS! :o

BTW, the temperature at this very moment in Regina is -29C and 16 km/h winds (windchill: -40C) :D

Yes it was cold (sometimes very cold) those years. In southern Sweden we had to stay at home from school at least 2 weeks every year because of all the snow.

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas just like the ones I used to know.

post-53941-1230107817_thumb.jpg

Merry Christmas to all of you !! :D

Its funny some of you talk about 4 years ago because that year we had the girls in the bars complaining about the cold at 5pm and it was the first time I wore socks in the bar. This was all in Pattaya.

This year I have spent most of the time in Buriram and it has been too cold for me at times. If I knew we were spending time here I would have had heaters put in the car. I've worn jeans more times in the last couple of months than I have in the preceding half decade or more.

• 2 weeks later...

I looked at heaters here in HK today and thought of getting one to bring back to bkk as i know what you mean George. I had been sleeping with ma socks on in Chiang Mai 555. Brought the gf to HK with me and she had her first hot bath 55. took her 10 minutes to get in completely 5555 too hot too hot too hot, eyes bugging out (can you see it??)... it was just nice! Now she is hooked. Her first hot shower was same same!! Ohh... a nice long hot tub soak is really nice and I enjoy two a day while i am here!!

I am from Charlottetown! Is there a Canadian Group in LOS or should we start one??

Electric blanket or heating pad is the thing George!! Don't those Issan girls keep you warm? Don't you have a dog or two? Are you sure you are Canadian? Do you need some long johns?? tooo funny!!!

I really cant believe what I am reading. I am from the UK (England) and I still wander around home in just shorts although I always put on a shirt when I go out and about for modesty's sake. I admit that we have not turned on a fan for a few weeks but tell me is it really that cold, further into Isaan than Korat, or are you Canadians a load of shivering softies? hehehe

HL :o

shivering softies 555 thats a good one...guess we set ourselves up for it thou

i spent the holidays in kk/nam nao/nong khai and did not find it too cold, was hoping to see frost in nam nao but no luck

I really cant believe what I am reading. I am from the UK (England) and I still wander around home in just shorts although I always put on a shirt when I go out and about for modesty's sake. I admit that we have not turned on a fan for a few weeks but tell me is it really that cold, further into Isaan than Korat, or are you Canadians a load of shivering softies? hehehe

years back used to go to the cda day event but have not done that for some time.

maybe a thai visa cda night ?

somewhere cold preferably :o

I looked at heaters here in HK today and thought of getting one to bring back to bkk as i know what you mean George. I had been sleeping with ma socks on in Chiang Mai 555. Brought the gf to HK with me and she had her first hot bath 55. took her 10 minutes to get in completely 5555 too hot too hot too hot, eyes bugging out (can you see it??)... it was just nice! Now she is hooked. Her first hot shower was same same!! Ohh... a nice long hot tub soak is really nice and I enjoy two a day while i am here!!

I am from Charlottetown! Is there a Canadian Group in LOS or should we start one??

Electric blanket or heating pad is the thing George!! Don't those Issan girls keep you warm? Don't you have a dog or two? Are you sure you are Canadian? Do you need some long johns?? tooo funny!!!

George, I think it's just your perception.

I put my Davis Weather Station in the "way back" mode & this is what I found.

Low temp this winter season (so far) here on the banks of the Kong River was in November 2008 at 13.3 C.

Low temp last winter season, while we still lived in the Kuchinarai area, like you, was 12.8 C in January 2008.

Also max wind velocities are down as well. Last winter, in Kuchinarai, max wind at 61 KPH, recorded in Nov, 2007. This year, again on the banks of the Kong River, max velocity only 43 KPH, coincidentally also recorded in November, but in 2008.

Not scientific, not indicative of a trend, but it is raw data & factual.

As I write this it is 10:00 PM and only down to 21.2. I did check the Thai Met. site today & they do forecast low temps in Mook at 12.0 C for Thursday & Friday, IIRC. That being said they have previously forecast low temps here in the 10.0 range, but, as stated, we have not even gotten close to the prediction at a season low of 13.3 C. As always, anyone living in higher elevations will experience much lower early morning temps, but Kuchinarai & Mook are basically at the same elevation, give or take 5 or 10 meters.

Last winter I recall I was in jeans most mornings in December & early January. This year only 2 mornings in jeans & they were shed by 10:00 AM.

In my opinion, this winter is much warmer (so far) than last. Me thinks your blood is thinning with your advancing age... 5555

Come see us next time you are up our way. I'll let you look at the recorded data & you can decide for yourself. We might, just maybe, have a cold adult beverage with your name on it. That's if I don't consume all those with my name on them first.

Tagaa

Edited by Tagaa

I am surprised Kuma, I was expecting a lot of flak from many irate Canadians after my previous post but all I got was one comment from your good self which I will even regard as a compliment to my writing abilities.

Hope you enjoyed your holiday regardless of the lack of frost.