Doha Layover On Qatar Airways

Filer

I'm looking at travelling on Qatar Airways BKK-Athens and then on an Olympic internal flight on to Corfu. I'll be travelling with quite a lot of checked in baggage (2 of us, Business Class). I don't want to have to pick up bags in Athens and re-check them in. Anyone know whether you can check bags right through to a Greek domestic destination like Corfu, if you have a through ticket?

I know that Corfu has full customs and immigration, receiving both domestic and international flights - a little bit like Phuket, where you can check bags right through if you're transferring on to a domestic flight through Bangkok.

Another question re my planned trip on Qatar Airways to Athens.

Anyone familiar with Qatar Airways's dedicated Business/First class terminal in Doha? If you have a 13-14 hour nightime layover there, do they give you a room to sleep in?

Anyone familiar with Qatar Airways's dedicated Business/First class terminal in Doha? If you have a 13-14 hour nightime layover there, do they give you a room to sleep in?

I have Q miles Silver Membership which allows me to use Business class facilities in Doha.

This is just a lounge with (uncomfortable) seating only plus of course refreshments (no alcohol).

Can't help with First Class although I doubt you will be allowed in there if travelling Business Class.

Use the dedicated Business/First Terminal in Doha. Its a nice terminal and lounge a million miles better than the crowded main terminal and poxy business class lounge.

You won't get a room tho I am afraid. Travel First you can use the Spa which will kill 2-3 hours.

Edited by dekka007

Not to contradict Dekka, but I've been researching the same thing for a Biz class flight on Q to Paris. So far indications are, (I can't find my source at this moment), that 9+ hours layover = a hotel room, but it seems the trick is you have to approach the Q counter on arrival in Doha and "ask" for it.

Really....sneaky buggers are not very keen on advertising that service.

I stand corrected. My connections there are usually only 2-3 hours max so far tho.

One flight was delayed and they put us up in a decent hotel......well that is until you realise that the whole hotel has no bar, no wine, no mini-bar ..... painful experience. Headed to the marriott instead.

there's no separate business/first terminal in Doha. the common terminal is always extremely crowded but the lounges are quite comfortable. with a 13-14 hours layover you are entitled to a hotel room. enjoy the limousine service from the aircraft to the terminal and back.

I have Q miles Silver Membership which allows me to use Business class facilities in Doha.

This is just a lounge with (uncomfortable) seating only plus of course refreshments (no alcohol).

Can't help with First Class although I doubt you will be allowed in there if travelling Business Class.

says who??? all what you have to do is look for the alcohol and you'll find anything you want in the lower cupboards hidden behind closed doors :o

there's no separate business/first terminal in Doha. the common terminal is always extremely crowded but the lounges are quite comfortable. with a 13-14 hours layover you are entitled to a hotel room. enjoy the limousine service from the aircraft to the terminal and back.

This is plain WRONG. Please Google if you think you know better and stop providing wrong info to people.

More than one year ago Qatar Airways opened a the first dedicated Busines/first class terminal on the world.

A dedicated bus will bring business class passengers (first class passengers get a BMW car) to that terminal.

Siver/gold members will need to stay at the business class lounge in the old refurbished terminal.

I did fly business class on Qatar last year and do have silver card, so I happen to know, having stayed at both business class lounges, before and after the building of the dedicated terminal.

Edited by tartempion

there's no separate business/first terminal in Doha.

Think you will find there is mate...... I am a gold card holder with QR and pass through the dedicated TERMINAL (not Lounge) a couple of times a year.

Edited by dekka007

last time in doha i met a turkish guy who had 8 hour stopover they gave him a hotel room with no problem as said before go to the Q counter

Would this also apply to Economy passengers - does anybody know, or have experience ? I've tried their web-site, but found nothing to help, and may have a 9-hour stopover this June.

Thanks, everyone, for the comments. The bottom line seems to be that, if you ask for a hotel room in Doha and you're in business class on Qatar Airways, as would be my case, you'll be given one if your layover is long enough (say 8+ hours).

Not clear what Qatar Airways econ class passengers with long layovers could expect in Doha.

Interesting to see some mixed comments over Qatar Airways' much hyped dedicated first/business class terminal in Doha (which I haven't experienced yet).

In the end I think that I'm going to stick with tried and tested Gulf Air through Bahrain where I would have a slightly longer (15hrs) overnight layover en route to Athens from Bangkok, but where hotel rooms are always definitely part of the deal in all classes for long layovers.

----------------------

On my other original question, which got posted alonside the Doha layover one, I have established that bags can be checked right through to domestic destinations (if they have customs facilities) in Greece via Athens, if your incoming airline has an interline (cooperation) agreement with the Greek domestic carrier your're connecting to.

and for the other Inner-GR part:

No through check, as you land in ATH you'll have to clear immigration etc, and check/pass customs for luggage [there are carts, yes), as this is entry into Schengen area. OA is famous for delays, strikes and other old-style state-run airline inconvenience. Try is ftheir main competition. Aegean, has a sutable flight. Checks in Kerkyra=Corfu are only for those who fly in directly into there, like the millions of charters ex-GB (=NOT Schengen)