Crawfords Restaurant

Kjelle

We had a very nice time at Crawfords restaurant two years ago.

Went back last week (after two years) and saw a total dissaster!

The place was empty and looked like a total mess... :o

We ordered 2 irish coffes. After 10 minutes the owner (drunk like a skunk) asked if we could wait 10 minutes more. The cream was not up to date so they have to go for buying a new one...

We kindly said now thank you and went down the soi busstaion to another bar.

After 3 minutes we got two fresh coffedrinks.

It`s sad to see a very popular,proper and nice restaurant as the Crawfords has been run down.

I don`t now why this has happened but after our last visit we can`t recommed anybody to visit this restaurant...

crawfords in hua hin has been taken over by a scot and i heard it will change its name to o'neils.

crawfords in cha am , not connected to the hua hin pub has always been a sorry mess.

Sounds like it's the Cha-am one they're talking about, tax. Soi busstation isn't a HH soi that I know of. :o And the bus stations in HH are a bit of a hike from the HH Crawfords. :D

When Crawfords in Cha-am originally opened it was a breath of fresh air being somewhat more 'upmarket' than the rest.I'm sorry to hear that things have declined but in my observation (over twelve years) it is par for the course for most farang run businesses there.The difficulties with staff,police,tessaban etc seem to be the downfall of most.

I hope things get better.

When Crawfords in Cha-am originally opened it was a breath of fresh air being somewhat more 'upmarket' than the rest.I'm sorry to hear that things have declined but in my observation (over twelve years) it is par for the course for most farang run businesses there.The difficulties with staff,police,tessaban etc seem to be the downfall of most.

TBH, the owners temperament hasn't helped much either. But I say no more.

the owner (drunk like a skunk) asked if we could wait 10 minutes more.

That's the problem. I saw him and his wife coming on holiday 6-7 years ago. Really nice people. Starting their business 4-5 years ago and slowly but sure, becoming the restaurant's best beer tap customers.

The difficulties with staff,police,tessaban etc seem to be the downfall of most.

I think the biggest problem is becoming the restaurant's or bar's best customer.

Petch01

• 4 months later...
We had a very nice time at Crawfords restaurant two years ago.

Went back last week (after two years) and saw a total dissaster!

The place was empty and looked like a total mess... :o

We ordered 2 irish coffes. After 10 minutes the owner (drunk like a skunk) asked if we could wait 10 minutes more. The cream was not up to date so they have to go for buying a new one...

We kindly said now thank you and went down the soi busstaion to another bar.

After 3 minutes we got two fresh coffedrinks.

It`s sad to see a very popular,proper and nice restaurant as the Crawfords has been run down.

I don`t now why this has happened but after our last visit we can`t recommed anybody to visit this restaurant...

John,who everyone think's is the owner,he is not,is unfortunately dying of liver cancer

It appears the gossipers are really at work here. I had a meal with my family there last week and as usual it was excellent. John was his usual charming self and as for any health problems he may or not have I don't think this forum is the place to dicuss it.

I for one would not hestitate to recommend this restaurant and bar to anyone.

It is by far the best western food I have had in Thailand.

• 7 months later...

We have never been to the Cha Am one but were frequent visitors in the Hua Hin one 2 years ago.

We found the staff great, food ok and tv sport brilliant. Always sat up the stairs watching Premier League football.

I know, I know, travel 6,000 miles and end up watching English football.

The place was always heaving. There was a big Scots guy owner there so assume it is the same guy who

is quoted in an earlier post as having taken over the place.

We arrive next Sunday so hope the the decline in standards are solely in Cha Am.

If not where else is good to watch the footie?

Thanks.

It appears the gossipers are really at work here. I had a meal with my family there last week and as usual it was excellent. John was his usual charming self and as for any health problems he may or not have I don't think this forum is the place to dicuss it.

I for one would not hestitate to recommend this restaurant and bar to anyone.

It is by far the best western food I have had in Thailand.

Agree whole heartedly with the above, Johns health problems are a personal matter.

I will correct the mis-information here.

The Cha Am Crawfords is the main topic, the food is excellent and boasts the best kitchen in and around the area, view it for yourselve's. John and Janet are the legal owner's of "Crawford's" in Cha Am.

There has never been a problem with Police as this is a family restaurant and bar, no BG's.

There is not a Hua Hin Crawford's, it has been renamed "O Niels", approx 2 years ago, and is now run by another gent from Scotland (previos owner was also from Scotland).

You can still watch the footie and other sporting events at both establishments in Cha Am and Hua Hin.

John a well respected Chef has a health problem which is ongoing, my compliments to him.

:o:D:D

Edited by MysteryPlane

Thanks for that info. We like to eat mostly Thai food when we are on holiday but do get cravings for western food sometimes. We will definitely go to Cha Am and sample the food. Not really a Guinness fan though. On our last visit, the owner of the then Crawfords in Hua Hin was very complimentary about John's food but we just never got round to it. Think not too hard or expensive to get a taxi.

Bring it on.

• 3 months later...

Forgot to do follow up.

Went through to Cha Am in early March but found gates locked.

Learnt later that they had been closing on Mondays and that unfortunately

the business had gone down hill a bit because of John's illness. Was a bit

sad as only wanted to meet the guy and give him some business and

hope that he is doing ok. Never met him but he was very well thought of by

the guy in Hua Hin.

We still had a good time in Cha Am and ate down at a beach restaurant to the north

of the town with brilliant seafood. It was cheaper than Hua Hin and maybe next time

we will spend more time there.

A friend has told me that there are new people at Crawfords so we will give that a

try on our next visit. Looked a nice place.

Will be giving O'Reillys in Hua Hin a miss. :)

Forgot to do follow up.

the guy in Hua Hin.

We still had a good time in Cha Am and ate down at a beach restaurant to the north

of the town with brilliant seafood. It was cheaper than Hua Hin and maybe next time

A friend has told me that there are new people at Crawfords so we will give that a

I went to Crawfords Cha-Am earlier this month for lunch on Sunday. The new owner is from Australia and is a very nice and hospitable guy (Darren, I think but I'm not good remembering names) and the food and service were good. He gave us a tour of the place including the aircon'd dining rooms (that can be reserved for a party) and even the kitchen to show us how clean, modern and organized it is. He is friends with the previous owner and said that he is recovering slowly but must retire now due to his health so that's why he sold the place.

Forgot to do follow up.

the guy in Hua Hin.

I went to Crawfords Cha-Am earlier this month for lunch on Sunday. The new owner is from Australia and is a very nice and hospitable guy (Darren, I think but I'm not good remembering names) and the food and service were good. He gave us a tour of the place including the aircon'd dining rooms (that can be reserved for a party) and even the kitchen to show us how clean, modern and organized it is. He is friends with the previous owner and said that he is recovering slowly but must retire now due to his health so that's why he sold the place.

Yes it is Darren from Melbourne and I can certainly say it is worth going there...didnt like it befor but now is very welcoming and pricewise very very competitive....hope he is successful

Thanks for that info and we will definitely visit Crawfords Cha Am when we are back. Good luck to Darren.

In previous post I said O'Reilly's in Hua Hin but of course meant O'Neill's. Had two not good experiences there but will give it another try when back. 3rd time lucky hopefully. Enjoyed it as Crawfords and recognised some staff so not sure why it seems to have changed in attitude and atmosphere or maybe we were just unlucky.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

We always stay in Hua Hin but have been to Crawford's Cha Am quite a few times and found food great and owner and wife very hospitable.

It looks like owners from both places have changed which disappoints but hopefully current owners have same high standards. Cha Am seemed better for food but Hua Hin had super cocktails for wife and cold beer for me.

Anyone know how John is?

Arive soon and will be visiting both places.

Edited by love2travel

• 5 weeks later...
We always stay in Hua Hin but have been to Crawford's Cha Am quite a few times and found food great and owner and wife very hospitable.

It looks like owners from both places have changed which disappoints but hopefully current owners have same high standards. Cha Am seemed better for food but Hua Hin had super cocktails for wife and cold beer for me.

Anyone know how John is?

Arive soon and will be visiting both places.

Hes OK and you may see him in his yellow 'Noddy' car getting around Cha am

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It wont, an overbearing loadmouth drunk leased it a year ago and sank the place into the ground. The original owner is also said to be having financial problems and the place is currently closed and for sale, the end!

It wont, an overbearing loadmouth drunk leased it a year ago and sank the place into the ground. The original owner is also said to be having financial problems and the place is currently closed and for sale, the end!

How much is it for sale at???any agents listing it?

You're a real keyboard warrior, read that as sniveling little coward, you had to register under another name to type this... I'm sure you had the balls to tell Darren this to his face 555

Edited by kmj

• 2 weeks later...

You're a real keyboard warrior, read that as sniveling little coward, you had to register under another name to type this... I'm sure you had the balls to tell Darren this to his face 555

I never saw this, always found the fellow Aussie good company.

I think the reason for closure was lack of customer's due to th economical climate of the World. Cha Am has always been quiet, mystery to me how these bars keep going? :(

Edited by BazilFox

• 2 months later...