Paypal And Visa Electron Card Obtained In 2008

Does anyone know of a bank in thailand where I can openan account & apply for a card that works on Paypal where I don't have to provide a work permit ?

I'd recommend using Kasikorn. After you get your regular card, you can tell the person setting up your account you want to set up a "Webcard". This works great because there's a limit that you set to it, it's only used on the internet, and can be used on some American websites (not all---noticeably Newegg and Amazon).

Does anyone know of a bank in thailand where I can openan account & apply for a card that works on Paypal where I don't have to provide a work permit ?

Yeah, Bangkok Bank :o I didn't have a work permit when i opened my account, just 1,000 Baht for initial funding of the account. Got the Visa Electron card right away too. Make sure when you open an account to apply for "iBanking" right with it - you need that to see and print statements for your usage of the card, and THAT you need to obtain the "expanded use number" in order to "verify" your PayPal account.

To open your account go to a MAJOR branch of Bangkok Bank as the smaller branches tend to ask for a work permit. Bring your passport too. When i got my account i only had a 30-day entry stamp from Cambodia :D

Best regards.....

Thanh

thx for info...

I did try a branch in Samui and as you mentioned, they did indeed ask for a work permit.. Which branch in Bkk did you use ? Also, may I ask what country you are from ?

Thx in advance. Sean

I had ordered some parts from India through Paypal after 7 weeks no delivery I contacted Paypal and told them I had not received anything on my order and the company was not responding to my emails. Paypal basicly said it wasn't there problem, to work it out with the vendor. How you do that when he would not reswpond to emails I don't know. So I contacted my Visa card bank that I had paid Paypak with. They said it could take up to 60 but they would get right on it.

So if you have a non-delivery problem with Paypal it is your problem not theirs. PAYPAL SUCKS. :o

Paypal have done the right thing here and are not at fault. You did not pay Paypal anything, you merely used there payment Gateway to pay someone for goods with your credit card. Only your credit card company can instigate a charge back, not Paypal.

This is a very common problem for Paypal as people get confused with the actual meaning of "method of payment". You hear so many people say "But I paid by Paypal !!??" You did not pay by Paypal, you paid by credit card via Paypal's payment Gateway !!

Paypal is NOT a method of payment and they have never claimed to be.

thx for info...

I did try a branch in Samui and as you mentioned, they did indeed ask for a work permit.. Which branch in Bkk did you use ? Also, may I ask what country you are from ?

Thx in advance. Sean

Hi :o

I used Khlong Tan branch in Soi Phra Khanong. It's a rather large one near the Phra Khanong - Phetburi Road intersection. As mentioned, they did not ask for anything but passport and 1,000 Baht for initial funding. This was after the (smaller) branch opposite my apartment (how convenient...) refused to "do it" also stating that i "either need a work permit or go to main branch".

I am from Germany by the way.

Best regards......

Thanh

Edited by Thanh-BKK

Hi,

You should find a kasikorn bank to apply for a savings account and their internet banking service. Small branches may ask for the work permit though. But, if you drop in Bkk, you should got to the Kasikorn bank in Sukhumvit Soi 3: over there the manager speaks English and is farang friendly (just need your passport with a tourist visa).

I just confirmed my kasikorn web card with Paypal! can use paypal now. :D

Regarding Bangkok Bank: they have some really stupid employees, especially in sukhumvit soi 8 :o

Wanted to open an account with Internet access, first I told that i don't have work permit with me, just a business visa.

The guy did open my account, but when it was time to fill in the form for my web access, the guy remembered that a work permit is required... :D Bangkok Bank s**cks: why a work permit for a web access and not for the account! Stupid Bangkok Bank. :D

Go to kasikorn directly you'll save your time!

:D Kasikorn! Kasikorn! Kasikorn! Hurrah: it works with Paypal! :D

Reply to the two previous posts:

1) I did not need any work permit to open my account, and neither to apply for the iBanking. The latter (iBanking) i did at that small branch opposite my place where they wanted a work permit to open the account :o Seems in any case "up to the person you're dealing with" and some places there's no hassle while others may go strictly by the regulations.

2) You can change your address on an existing PayPal account, HOWEVER the new address MUST be the same as the statement address on the card you are using! The "home" address, that is. They actually verify that. So if you're in Thailand now and use a Thai bank card, change your address to the one where you receive your bank statements/credit card bills. If you still use your home country credit/debit card, no need to change anything, just "add" a second address but do NOT make it "home".

Best regards.....

Thanh

I had ordered some parts from India through Paypal after 7 weeks no delivery I contacted Paypal and told them I had not received anything on my order and the company was not responding to my emails. Paypal basicly said it wasn't there problem, to work it out with the vendor. How you do that when he would not reswpond to emails I don't know. So I contacted my Visa card bank that I had paid Paypak with. They said it could take up to 60 but they would get right on it.

So if you have a non-delivery problem with Paypal it is your problem not theirs. PAYPAL SUCKS. :o

Paypal have done the right thing here and are not at fault. You did not pay Paypal anything, you merely used there payment Gateway to pay someone for goods with your credit card. Only your credit card company can instigate a charge back, not Paypal.

This is a very common problem for Paypal as people get confused with the actual meaning of "method of payment". You hear so many people say "But I paid by Paypal !!??" You did not pay by Paypal, you paid by credit card via Paypal's payment Gateway !!

Paypal is NOT a method of payment and they have never claimed to be.

Ridiculous comment.

Paypal can and do reclaim money from an account in the event of non-descriptive transactions.

And since when has ANY " payment gateway " been able to hold onto an account holders money for a period of six months in the event of closure?

Bino is right, because Paypal are such nice people they do the conversion for you, and steal 10% in the process ! Paypal are always going on about scams and how much "safer" they are than any other method of payment, but at the end of the day they are the biggest scammers of them all !

To Taxin and Bino, I have been using PayPal for several years from my US account. While I can't complain about using it from the US, I definitely did have a problem a few years back, when merely logging in from Thailand was considered suspicious. (After having my funds frozen and going through difficult process, I learned the lesson that you should keep only the minimum funds in PayPal that you need!)

However, seeking a convenient and cheaper way to move funds from the US to Thailand, my wife set up USD PayPal and transferred $300 US to a Bangkok Bank checking account. Here are the figures:

• Transfer to: Bank Account
  • Total Amount: -9,222.51 THB
  • From Amount: -$300.00 US
  • To Amount: 9,222.51 THB
  • Exchange Rate: 1 U.S. Dollar = 30.7417 Thai Baht
  • Date: Mar. 3, 2008
  • Time: 0X:YY:ZZ PST
  • Subject: Bank Account
  • Transfer to: Bangkok Bank Public Co.,Ltd. Checking (Thailand) xxxxxxYYYY

I'm not a financial expert, but considering the offshore rate, I don't see a 10% cut in this. March 3 is the day that the BOT rescinded the capital controls, causing the offshore rate to change to about 31.6. Given a 31.6 "real" exchange rate, PayPal gave me 97.28% of that (i.e. they charge me 2.72%). That rate does not "stink" to me.

Bino is right, because Paypal are such nice people they do the conversion for you, and steal 10% in the process ! Paypal are always going on about scams and how much "safer" they are than any other method of payment, but at the end of the day they are the biggest scammers of them all !

To Taxin and Bino, I have been using PayPal for several years from my US account. While I can't complain about using it from the US, I definitely did have a problem a few years back, when merely logging in from Thailand was considered suspicious. (After having my funds frozen and going through difficult process, I learned the lesson that you should keep only the minimum funds in PayPal that you need!)

However, seeking a convenient and cheaper way to move funds from the US to Thailand, my wife set up USD PayPal and transferred $300 US to a Bangkok Bank checking account. Here are the figures:

• Transfer to: Bank Account
  • Total Amount: -9,222.51 THB
  • From Amount: -$300.00 US
  • To Amount: 9,222.51 THB
  • Exchange Rate: 1 U.S. Dollar = 30.7417 Thai Baht
  • Date: Mar. 3, 2008
  • Time: 0X:YY:ZZ PST
  • Subject: Bank Account
  • Transfer to: Bangkok Bank Public Co.,Ltd. Checking (Thailand) xxxxxxYYYY

I'm not a financial expert, but considering the offshore rate, I don't see a 10% cut in this. March 3 is the day that the BOT rescinded the capital controls, causing the offshore rate to change to about 31.6. Given a 31.6 "real" exchange rate, PayPal gave me 97.28% of that (i.e. they charge me 2.72%). That rate does not "stink" to me.

I find it a surprise that Bangkok Bank yesterday were offering 31.35, compared to Paypal's 30.74. Thats only a difference of 0.61 baht on every dollar. When I did my last withdrawal in Feb it was a Bangkok Bank rate of 33.02 against Paypals 29.86, a difference of 3.16.

I went to my Bangkok Bank to clarify my calculation and they agreed with me, a bank transfer of USD into my account of $3,360 would have given me 110,947 baht. Paypal gave me 100,329. A 10% difference ! (As a round figure of course, im sure some smart alex will come back to me and say its something like 9.6%).

Maybe this does have something to do with the recent events with the BOT, I hope so anyway !

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried to upload money to my moneybooker account with Thai visa credit cards but it always fails...

I tried with cards from SCB,Bangkok bank and Kbank and non of them would work. Anyone successfully uploaded money with a thai credit card to moneybookers?

• 2 weeks later...

saw this posted on another forum it worked for me to

some one has posted how to get a paypal account in thailand

I wanted to get a Thai bank account as I plan on retiring here in 2 years and wanted a way to transfer funds from America to Thailand as prices are a lot less than Western Union. I figured PayPal (paypal.com) would be the transfer vehicle and thought I would be able to use my US PayPal account. I was partially correct. Here is what I did.

Step 1: Open Thai bank account. I chose Kasikorn bank after reading many favorable reviews online. Went with my teerak to the bank, took a number, and was seen in minutes. Explained, through teerak, that I wanted to open an account. The bank clerk asked if I lived or worked in Thailand, and my teerak explained that I did not, but visited 3 or 4 times per year. The clerk then asked if I had a Thai address, and teerak said I could use her mom's address.

Signed a couple of forms (all in Thai) and deposited 500 Baht. I also had to pay 300 baht for the ATM card. There were actually 2 fees, one for 100 Baht and the other for 200 Baht. My guess is one to create the card and one for the annual fee. I got the card on the spot along with a sealed document that included my PIN number. I can keep this number or change it at any ATM.

Passport was required (and copied) to verify who I was. So it boils down to an in-country address and a passport, along with a few baht to open an account.

Step 2: Try to add the Thai bank to my US PayPal account. No joy. I can only add US banks to my US PayPal account. I email PayPal and ask them what to do. In less than 24 hours, they say that I can open a 2nd PayPal account and designate Thailand as the country. I do this with no problem.

I then try to add my Kasikorn bank account to my Thai PayPal account. Still no joy. I try different variations – with the dashes, without the dashes– all to no avail.

I then call the Kasikorn Bangkok help desk, on a Saturday, and confirm what I read on the Kasikorn web site. I need to have online access (K-cyber account) and then I will be able to add the account (almost).

Step 3: Back to Kasikorn bank. I get the same clerk and explain that I want to get the K-cyber access. I sign another form in Thai that lists my name, account number, and my email address. I am told that I will get the log in info via email.

Step 4: Receive email within 24 hours for Kasikorn telling me that my K-cyber account is set up and they provide log in and password. On initial log in, both password and user name have to be changed. They also require a 2nd password for any transactions. This can either be done via SMS or I can create a second password. I choose a second password in case I am not in-country when I want to make a transaction.

Kasikorn web site - http://www.kasikornbank.com/portal/site/KBank/ - from the drop down select "K-Cyber Banking. A new window will open. Choose ENG for your language.

Step 5: In order to make online purchases or transactions there is another step. I have to create a K-web shopping virtual credit card. It is a simple application, requiring the 2nd password, and within 24 hours I have a virtual credit card. What this means is, I was emailed a 16-digit number (same as a Visa card), expiration date, and a CCV (the 3 digits on the back of the card). All of this is virtual. This is an additional security step that the bank uses.

Step 6: Back to the Thai PayPal account. I log in to my Thai account, add the virtual account info (which is linked to my Kasikorn account), and the card is accepted. WOO HOO! PayPal requires verification. They will deduct $1.95 from the account and the transaction will be listed as PAYPAL1234 or 1234PAPAL. The four digits will then have to be posted at the PayPal account to verify. In the US, they deposited a few cents and then you had to enter that info in your account to verify. Once verified, PayPal will reimburse the $1.95.

Step 7: Receive email confirmation that PayPal has deducted money from my account and the email has the 4 digits I need to confirm my account. Back to Thai PayPal and enter the 4 digits and all is good. Now I have an online account and can go shopping online, transfer money, etc.

Step 8: Time to test the transferring of funds from US PayPal to Thai PayPal. I send $100 (send money email to email) and receive immediate confirmation via email that the transaction has completed. I log in to my Thai PayPal online account and can see that the funds are available and I now have to accept or deny. I accept.

Step 9: I now want to transfer the $100 from PayPal to my Kasikorn bank. Problem. I don't have a bank account associated with the Thai PayPal account. The virtual info is already there, but not a real bank account. So, I click on "add a bank account". All is well until I select the drop down that lists all of the banks, and everything is in the Thai language.

I open a second window and go to the Kasikorn web site and compare the Thai script and find my bank in the drop down window (2nd bank listed). I select it and next is a confirmation page and Kasikorn Bank is now in English so I feel a little better that I have chosen the correct bank. I confirm the transfer and next window informs me that it will take 5-7 days for the transfer (a little longer than US PayPal which is 3 to 4 days).

Bank account must be entered without the dashes.

Not sure if the same has to be done at other Thai banks - but this is what it took at Kasikorn

works :o

saw this posted on another forum it worked for me to

some one has posted how to get a paypal account in thailand

I wanted to get a Thai bank account as I plan on retiring here in 2 years and wanted a way to transfer funds from America to Thailand as prices are a lot less than Western Union. I figured PayPal (paypal.com) would be the transfer vehicle and thought I would be able to use my US PayPal account. I was partially correct. Here is what I did.

Step 1: Open Thai bank account. I chose Kasikorn bank after reading many favorable reviews online. Went with my teerak to the bank, took a number, and was seen in minutes. Explained, through teerak, that I wanted to open an account. The bank clerk asked if I lived or worked in Thailand, and my teerak explained that I did not, but visited 3 or 4 times per year. The clerk then asked if I had a Thai address, and teerak said I could use her mom's address.

Signed a couple of forms (all in Thai) and deposited 500 Baht. I also had to pay 300 baht for the ATM card. There were actually 2 fees, one for 100 Baht and the other for 200 Baht. My guess is one to create the card and one for the annual fee. I got the card on the spot along with a sealed document that included my PIN number. I can keep this number or change it at any ATM.

Passport was required (and copied) to verify who I was. So it boils down to an in-country address and a passport, along with a few baht to open an account.

Step 2: Try to add the Thai bank to my US PayPal account. No joy. I can only add US banks to my US PayPal account. I email PayPal and ask them what to do. In less than 24 hours, they say that I can open a 2nd PayPal account and designate Thailand as the country. I do this with no problem.

I then try to add my Kasikorn bank account to my Thai PayPal account. Still no joy. I try different variations – with the dashes, without the dashes– all to no avail.

I then call the Kasikorn Bangkok help desk, on a Saturday, and confirm what I read on the Kasikorn web site. I need to have online access (K-cyber account) and then I will be able to add the account (almost).

Step 3: Back to Kasikorn bank. I get the same clerk and explain that I want to get the K-cyber access. I sign another form in Thai that lists my name, account number, and my email address. I am told that I will get the log in info via email.

Step 4: Receive email within 24 hours for Kasikorn telling me that my K-cyber account is set up and they provide log in and password. On initial log in, both password and user name have to be changed. They also require a 2nd password for any transactions. This can either be done via SMS or I can create a second password. I choose a second password in case I am not in-country when I want to make a transaction.

Kasikorn web site - http://www.kasikornbank.com/portal/site/KBank/ - from the drop down select "K-Cyber Banking. A new window will open. Choose ENG for your language.

Step 5: In order to make online purchases or transactions there is another step. I have to create a K-web shopping virtual credit card. It is a simple application, requiring the 2nd password, and within 24 hours I have a virtual credit card. What this means is, I was emailed a 16-digit number (same as a Visa card), expiration date, and a CCV (the 3 digits on the back of the card). All of this is virtual. This is an additional security step that the bank uses.

Step 6: Back to the Thai PayPal account. I log in to my Thai account, add the virtual account info (which is linked to my Kasikorn account), and the card is accepted. WOO HOO! PayPal requires verification. They will deduct $1.95 from the account and the transaction will be listed as PAYPAL1234 or 1234PAPAL. The four digits will then have to be posted at the PayPal account to verify. In the US, they deposited a few cents and then you had to enter that info in your account to verify. Once verified, PayPal will reimburse the $1.95.

Step 7: Receive email confirmation that PayPal has deducted money from my account and the email has the 4 digits I need to confirm my account. Back to Thai PayPal and enter the 4 digits and all is good. Now I have an online account and can go shopping online, transfer money, etc.

Step 8: Time to test the transferring of funds from US PayPal to Thai PayPal. I send $100 (send money email to email) and receive immediate confirmation via email that the transaction has completed. I log in to my Thai PayPal online account and can see that the funds are available and I now have to accept or deny. I accept.

Step 9: I now want to transfer the $100 from PayPal to my Kasikorn bank. Problem. I don't have a bank account associated with the Thai PayPal account. The virtual info is already there, but not a real bank account. So, I click on "add a bank account". All is well until I select the drop down that lists all of the banks, and everything is in the Thai language.

I open a second window and go to the Kasikorn web site and compare the Thai script and find my bank in the drop down window (2nd bank listed). I select it and next is a confirmation page and Kasikorn Bank is now in English so I feel a little better that I have chosen the correct bank. I confirm the transfer and next window informs me that it will take 5-7 days for the transfer (a little longer than US PayPal which is 3 to 4 days).

Bank account must be entered without the dashes.

Not sure if the same has to be done at other Thai banks - but this is what it took at Kasikorn

works :o

I always recommend going with Kasikorn. I actually requested the Webcard on the opening of my account and that saved me a trip.

The biggest problem people have with PayPal is that you can't add money from your Thai bank account to it. So essentially, it's just like Thailand.....money in, no money out.