New Macrobiotic Restaurant At Mccormick Hospital

Ulysses G.

The Doctor who runs the Acupuncture clinic at McCormick Hospital in Chiang Mai has finally opened the Macrobiotic Restaurant that she has been planning for years. There are set meals for 60 baht and big size for 90. Anybody who is interested in holistic health should stop by and give it a try.

I haven't had a chance to eat there yet so I can't tell you anything about the taste. Has anyone else tried it? :o

From Wikipedia.....

Philosophy

Followers of the macrobiotic approach believe that food and food quality powerfully affect health, wellbeing, and happiness. The macrobiotic approach suggests choosing food that is less processed and more natural, and employing more traditional methods of cooking for family, friends, and oneself.

One goal of the macrobiotic philosophy and practice is to become sensitive to the true effects of foods on health and wellbeing. In this way, one goes beyond rules and regulations concerning diet to choosing foods that sustains one's health. Dietary guidelines help one to develop sensitivity and an intuitive sense for what sustains one's health and wellbeing in diet as well as in relationships and activities.

Macrobiotics emphasizes locally grown whole grain cereals, pulses (legumes), vegetables, seaweed, fermented soy products and fruit, combined into meals according to the principle of balance (known as yin and yang). Dietary recommendations include whole grains, such as brown rice, and other whole grain products, such as buckwheat pasta (soba); a variety of cooked and raw vegetables; beans and bean products, such as tofu, tempeh and miso; ; mild natural seasonings; fish; nuts and seeds; mild (non-stimulating) beverages, such as bancha twig tea; and fruit.

Nightshade vegetables, including tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant; also spinach, beets and avocados are forbidden (or used sparingly) in macrobiotic cooking, as they are considered extremely yin.[3] Some macrobiotic practitioners also discourage the use of nightshades due to the alkaloid solanine, thought to affect calcium balance.[4]

Composition

Some basic macrobiotic ingredientsMacrobiotics is considered an approach to life rather than a diet. General Guidelines for the diet are:

Whole Cereal Grains, especially brown rice: 50-60%

Vegetables: 25-30%

Beans and Vegetables: 5-10 %

Miso soup: 5%

The remainder is composed of fish and seafood, seeds and nuts, seed and nut butters, seasonings, sweeteners, fruits, and beverages. Other naturally raised animal products may be included if needed during dietary transition or according to individual needs.

Other factors

The composition of dishes and the choices of foods is adjusted according to

The Season

The Climate

Activity

Health Condition

Transition in One's Diet

and any other personal considerations

[edit] Food preparation techniques

Edited by ricklev

Where is it? On the hospital premises?

I believe so, but I haven't had time to try it yet.

You can always ask at the Acupuncture clinic if you don't see it. :D

Maybe you should have announced it when you knew where it is.... :o

When you enter the hosipital parking lot turn right and go all the way to the end (west wall) of the compound and then turn left. The Alternative Medicine center will be the first the building on your left and is where the acupuncture clinic is located.

The Doctor who runs the Acupuncture clinic at McCormick Hospital in Chiang Mai has finally opened the Macrobiotic Restaurant that she has been planning for years. There are set meals for 60 baht and big size for 90. Anybody who is interested in holistic health should stop by and give it a try.

I haven't had a chance to eat there yet so I can't tell you anything about the taste. Has anyone else tried it? :o

Have you tried it yet? I went there on Tuesday. I thought a vegetarian diet was difficult. The food was very bland and the menu very limited. You would have to be very strong willed to stick to a Diet like this. My friend who has tried quite a few macrobiotic restaurants said that it was not a great example of macrobiotic cooking and will take me to a different place just at the side of Mae ping hotel. Cant say I am looking forward to it.