Changing Modems With True Adsl

endlessnights

hi!

I am soooo happy I found this forum.. I have been living in bkk for a few weeks with my parents and I have so many questions. I will put them in separate posts to be less confusing.

I currently have 512K True ADSL connection.. with Billion USB ADSL Modem.

I hate having a USB modem! and I've never heard of Billion.

my question about this is - do you have to call TA to let them know that you changed your modem? I am very new to ADSL, I had cable in NY and that's what you had to do.

thanks!

I think technically, True states that you are only allowed to use three brands (I think including Billion and Zyxel and Askey?). I have no idea why...seems like we should be free to buy any modem brand we want...Therefore, if you call them up and say you are using another brand it might cause unnecessary problems for you. I know of more than a few people using SMC brand with no problems. True gave me a free Zyxel modem...its OK, but the SMC router is much better

I think technically, True states that you are only allowed to use three brands

I signed up for True last night and I read their small print about this a few weeks ago. They say that if you don't use one of their 3 standard USB modems and you have problems connecting and the problems are due to the equipment, they won't help you and I think they say they will charge you B2000 if you cancel the service because of the technical problems. In other words, if you can't connect and want to cancel, they'll blame your modem and charge B2000...

From what I've seen on here, connecting to True seems to be pretty standard so I'm going with my own modem rather than buying one of theirs.

When I called them earlier this week to check my building was covered, they asked if I wanted a modem. I said no and the lady asked if my modem was PPP/OE compliant. As long as it's compliant with that, she said it will be OK and she wasn't worried about the fact that it wasn't one of their 'supported' ones.

I switched to a SMC Barricade I think it will hook to dslam on the planet very configurable just tell it where you are at and your provider and yer good to go. Of course I will take a free modem even USB good to have a backup, never know when a lighting strike will take out equipment especially hooked to a phone line. :o

As I understood from a thread in another board some weeks ago, True offers 3 Megabit Speed, and a lot of the cheaper Modems on the Market are not compatible with this Speed, causing either a slowdown or connection Problems.

So check out the fineprint in your new Modem's Manual what the fastest Connect Speed is.

both connect at 6.1 Mb/s main issue with the billion USB modem is it caused the system to hang. Nothing like the wife complaining about the internet being down while you are at work. True throttles their speed at the server, on their speed test with the small test file I hit about 4.1 Mb/s, sustained drops to 2.5 Mb/s as advertised although I rarely get that kind of performance beyond their network. (Once got 300 KB/s download from download.com late at night)