Gold Rings (non Wedding)

a2396

Many times, when I have formed a relationship with a Thai lady that is beyond casual friendship, ie likely girlfriend, I get a request to buy her a gold ring. It does not appear to be about money, since a moderate cost is involved. I assume the lady thinks such a gesture means something to the significance and possible stability and permanance of the relationship. Any comments?

I expect that the women feel it adds an air of respectability to the relationship, especially when walking around town together. To any passersby the rings imply a long-term commitment, lest they assume the relationship is of the more sordid variety. I've found many Thai women to be quite sensitive to this possible assumption by strangers.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

I only expect a ring if he proposes or talks about marriage. In boyfriend/girlfriend stage, I don't. It's more like "I buy you a ring and I'll stop flirting around. We are now a couple and I have a plan for a long term relationship".

Movie often shows about the engagement ring so many ladies including me consider it important. We can buy any ring we want as it's not too expensive, but a ring from a man we love means a lot. I'm proud to wear it and, as 2muchcoffee posted, it's the message to other men "Look, I'm in a relation. You hopeless do not stare at me". :o

Commitment is not derived via money in my opinion. I've seen a few go to the pawn shops in short order.

Absolutely right, if the ring had ended up in a pawn shop, that would be the end of the relationship as well, immediately!

@OP: Buy a "Farang-Gold" Ring it's more difficult to pawn/sell..... if it's about a symbolic gesture, just any ring should do!

I know one lass in CM that would get the visiting BF to buy a ring at the airport - then take it back for a 90% refund as soon as the plane left. On his return, the story was always 'it was stolen'. THis one in particular was an addicted gambler - a bad one at that.