Split Infinitives

mbkudu

That's maybe one reason why this can never be more than an Academic discussion. It's just not based in reality  :o

Yes it is, I met an African who spoke to me and I couldn't understand a word he said. He needed to switch to BBC before I could make sense of it. I've heard Indians speak 'English' in a way that threw me completely and MY Sussex accent can boggle Americans in a big way. So lay off this trendy "chill" crap, if English is to become/remain a unifying force there MUST be a uniform method of pronouncing it so everyone can understand everyone else.

Must admit you're sounding like those idiots who threatened to strike because someone suggested that teaching grammar in English lessons might not be a bad thing.

That's maybe one reason why this can never be more than an Academic discussion. It's just not based in reality  :o

Yes it is, I met an African who spoke to me and I couldn't understand a word he said. He needed to switch to BBC before I could make sense of it. I've heard Indians speak 'English' in a way that threw me completely and MY Sussex accent can boggle Americans in a big way. So lay off this trendy "chill" crap, if English is to become/remain a unifying force there MUST be a uniform method of pronouncing it so everyone can understand everyone else.

Must admit you're sounding like those idiots who threatened to strike because someone suggested that teaching grammar in English lessons might not be a bad thing.

Okay, now you're making personal insults and calling me an idiot. Can't make any sense yourself, so call me an idiot. That'll sure convince me to see your side...

Enjoy your fantasy world. Mai Pen Rai :D

Okay, now you're making personal insults and calling me an idiot. Can't make any sense yourself, so call me an idiot. That'll sure convince me to see your side...

Enjoy your fantasy world. Mai Pen Rai :o

No I didn't call you an idiot I said you're sounding like those ones ... etc., check above. Just because you say something doesn't make it true and, as for the fantasy world, I think I know who needs to get the first spaceship back to reality.

Edited by Dickie

Dick, you are such a moronic idiot. Ajarn does know what he's talking about, but you are a bigoted elitist snob and insult anyone who points out that you are full of crap. You can't have a reasoned discussion because you have no sensible reasoning to offer.

Another Troll to add the long list here. :o

I'm just wondering where the current US President George W. Bush, that all encompassing powerhouse of intellectual wealth, learned English vocabulary, grammar and pronunciation? Could it really have been at an Ivy League school in

America? How can it be? :o

I'm just wondering where the current US President George W. Bush, that all encompassing powerhouse of intellectual wealth, learned English vocabulary, grammar and pronunciation? Could it really have been at an Ivy League school in

I think you're misunderestimating him again. :D

I think you're misunderestimating him again. :D

He must have used a purer form of strategery to cement himself into a second term. Brilliant! :D

The President was born in New England, and went to secondary school and universities in New England. He was raised by parents in West Texas, before either of them would have lost their New England accent. Any Texas drawl that Bush has is adopted, adapted, or affected. His Texas accent is much milder than some folks who live in the Midland-Odessa area.

Back to the grammar issue: we farang ajarns don't need to teach grammar; the Thai teachers of English already do little else. The students already have too much grammar. When it comes up, as part of a lesson, we teach it. Today I taught the simple past tense ('verb two'). But I only taught it for about five minutes. I'm not scared of grammar; I rather like it. But I don't love grammar, and don't enjoy teaching lots of it. And my American grammar's fine, thank you.

My apologies for my insults at British English, although maybe nobody's insulted. Or should I call it UK English, or British English, or non-Scot/non-Welsh/non-Irish UK English? Has the BBC got some kind of franchise now?

Dick, you are such a moronic idiot. Ajarn does know what he's talking about, but you are a bigoted elitist snob and insult anyone who points out that you are full of crap.  You can't have a reasoned discussion because you have no sensible reasoning to offer.

Another Troll to add the long list here.  :o

Whoa! :D

bigoted elitist snob

Hah-hah-haaaaa!!! :D You have just made my day! I LOVE it when a trendy comes along with his trendy words and throws a limp-wristed fit. :D

There is a need for some kind of standard. That doesn't necessarily mean it needs to be prescribed as a fixed standard without the possibility of variation.

It's quite easy to accept that infinitives can be split without drawing the conclusion that anything that's good enough for communication is acceptable language use.

Most standard forms of English, including those such as Indian and Singaporean, actually have little significant variation grammatically. But speakers do not only have one fixed version of the language. Depending on situation etc. everybody switches between more casual, perhaps local, forms to a more standard form. Local varieties of English will keep emerging but that shouldn't mean the disappearance of a 'standard English' which will be necessary for international communication.

Edited by Tarragona