Life Experience Degrees Discussion

hi folks,

Just wanna know if anybody has ever got a degree on the basis of life experience ?

I have checked this website, and it seems to be worth it as we can get a degree in any fields with quite low price and no class attendance, Having said that, I wonder if these degrees are recognized and accepted worldwide, though...

[No links or spamming, please - IJWT]

dtalok :o

the degrees are given out by a diplima mill called rochville u. rochville claims to be accredited; it IS NOT! the two agencies it cites are the same people that run rochville (how convenient). the degrees wont be recognized by anyone.

oftentimes in life, one gets what one pays for...

Edited by samsara

I have lots of life experiences, but I think forum rules do not permit me to list them. Nor are they academic. My degree was in real subjects, long term papers, boring lectures, burning the midnight oil, year after year. I am sure the Thais can spot a fake degree sooner or later, if they care to.

And if that worthless piece of paper still means you cannot teach your way out of a paper sack, you wasted your money. What is the difference between a gerund and a particple?

A total, complete waste of money. Better to flush the money down the toilet; less effort. Just a little push of the handle. Buying one of these requires filling out forms and sending money with a credit card. Too much effort. Toilet is better option.

On a more serious note; there are quite a few affordable universities here to get degrees from, or an online distance degree.

The universities here may not have the prestige of western degrees, but the degrees offered here are enough to get your @ss

covered for working here legally or transfer to a master's program in the west.

No links, please. Also, even the most liberal accredited universities offer very little credit for "life experience," and only on a partial basis. I'd recommend against trying to pass such degrees off as "real" ones- if you use one as the basis for an interview, the only possible ethical way would be to alert the interviewers yourself that it was from a diploma mill and let them make the choice.

"S"

Sorry for putting the link on, but how can I ask advise in something without content ?

well, you re probably right JWT,

going through an interview being honest where is that degree from, should be the best way...

thanks all for your answers anyway, I was expecting it wouldn't be the greatest discovery of the year, though !

A total, complete waste of money. Better to flush the money down the toilet; less effort. Just a little push of the handle. Buying one of these requires filling out forms and sending money with a credit card. Too much effort. Toilet is better option.

On a more serious note; there are quite a few affordable universities here to get degrees from, or an online distance degree.

The universities here may not have the prestige of western degrees, but the degrees offered here are enough to get your @ss

Could you please go further about this affordable universities ? I ve checked out the thread about "continuing study",

and was afraid of the 400K tuition fees of ABAC, and others Sasin, which , let's face it, are just piece of shit...

thanks again !!

Sorry for putting the link on, but how can I ask advise in something without content ?

well, you re probably right JWT,

going through an interview being honest where is that degree from, should be the best way...

thanks all for your answers anyway, I was expecting it wouldn't be the greatest discovery of the year, though !

Could you please go further about this affordable universities ? I ve checked out the thread about "continuing study",

and was afraid of the 400K tuition fees of ABAC, and others Sasin, which , let's face it, are just piece of shit...

thanks again !!

Sasin? The top graduate business program in Thailand is a piece of sh@t? :o

I'll take that under advisement Mr. Forbes, or was it Gates?

I have lots of life experiences, but I think forum rules do not permit me to list them. Nor are they academic. My degree was in real subjects, long term papers, boring lectures, burning the midnight oil, year after year. I am sure the Thais can spot a fake degree sooner or later, if they care to.

And if that worthless piece of paper still means you cannot teach your way out of a paper sack, you wasted your money. What is the difference between a gerund and a particple[sic]?

I do not teach here, have no degree but do have after my name over 20 post-nominal letters which are all internationally recognised. Are you trying to tell me that without a degree that I am not able to tell the difference between a gerund and a participle?

Seeing that you brought up the subject of grammar, would you mind revising your first paragraph?

thanks again !!

400,000 baht for a four year bachelor's degree isn't that much, roughly US$12,000. Ramkhamhaeng's IIS is a decent university that costs about 300,000 baht for a four year bachelor's degree, this includes text books. Chula and Thammasat are a bit more, but also decent universities. In the US, $12,000 would get you about one year of studies. A Thai degree is what it is. It's not a prestigious thing, but it's affordable, gets the job done, and if the right one is chosen, a good education can come out of it. A piece of sh!t? A life experience degree is a piece of sh!t. If all of this is too difficult, the best option for you might be to go home and apply for a government grant or student loan. I looked into that, and the figures didn't look too good when all the expense is calculated.

thanks mbkudu,

and what about the online degree ? is it cheaper ? I am confused with all these website offering online courses...

can anyone advise me about a serious one ? it would be an education degree, or business administration degree..

thanks all

thanks mbkudu,

and what about the online degree ? is it cheaper ? I am confused with all these website offering online courses...

can anyone advise me about a serious one ? it would be an education degree, or business administration degree..

thanks all

I suggest you go into the websites of reputable universities and see what courses they have online or by distance mode. To search under a heading like "online education degrees" or something will probably take you to dodgy institutions and courses. Plenty of good universities offer courses online now. They are not the same as "online universities".

No links, please. Also, even the most liberal accredited universities offer very little credit for "life experience," and only on a partial basis. I'd recommend against trying to pass such degrees off as "real" ones- if you use one as the basis for an interview, the only possible ethical way would be to alert the interviewers yourself that it was from a diploma mill and let them make the choice.

"S"

IJWT in my opinion your response is very appropriate, some of the other respondees leave a lot to be desired. The OP asked a sensible question and therefore deserves sensible responses, I wonder if those classing things are Sh@## are qualified to express such derisms?

The value of a "Thai" degree is determined by ones reason for attending a "Thai University and environment were it is to be used.

If the motivation is driven by the need or desire to keep ones mind active or to gain recognition to teach in THAILAND then in my view it fits the saying - Horses for Courses.

Edited by mijan24

Thanks all,

i m still wondering the value of a "degree on the basis of life experience"

Indeed, It might be not considered as a fake degree,

and a school willing to hire you may think that holding this kind of degree could be enough..

just wonder..