Jet Lag A Clue In Briton's Death In Thailand

Jet lag clue into death of man during Thailand trip

A man who downed alcohol on a flight and swallowed Valium to relieve jet lag died hours after landing at a paradise island, an inquest heard.

Robert John Evans, 32, of Wernddu, Sarn, Bridgend, was found dead in a beach bungalow on Koh Samui, Thailand.

He drank gin and tonics on the flight from Heathrow and took sedatives when he arrived for the five-day trip.

Travel companion Jonathon Spragg told the inquest in Brackla, Bridgend, he woke and found his friend asleep on top of a laptop computer, and carried him to bed before going back to sleep himself.

The next day, Mr Spragg woke and thought Mr Evans was sleeping so went out for breakfast, not realising it was already 2.30pm. When he returned, he could not wake Mr Evans.

Mr Spragg said: “I turned him over and found he had vomited.” He tried to revive him but Mr Evans could not be resuscitated.

Mr Spragg said his friend was restless on the journey to Thailand, adding: “Rob was uneasy on the flight because he couldn’t relax. He was moving from seat to seat and aisle to aisle.”

He said Mr Evans downed gin and tonics during the flight and bought six bottles of Thai beer when they arrived at the bungalow. Mr Spragg said he later took two Valium tablets, and his friend took one, “for the jet lag”.

Pathologist Philip Bramwall, who performed a post-mortem examination, said Mr Evans had been embalmed after his death on June 23, 2006, so he was unable to ascertain a cause of death.

However, he said it was possible Mr Evans, who had signs of gastritis, choked on vomit.

Mr Evans tested positive for opiates, which could have been heroin or methadone, in “relatively low concentrations”. Mr Bramwell added that alcohol, sleeping tablets and opiates were a “potent mix”.

Coroner Philip Walters recorded an open verdict.

- South Wales Echo (UK)

Interesting.

SJ, I am sure you can find links to what I am about to say :o

There has been news over the past few weeks relating to Bridgend.

There is something strange going on there with MANY people committing suicide, believed in most cases to be suicide pacts conducted over the internet.

I believe there are investigations ongoing. Maybe just coincidental, or maybe not?

Jet lag clue into death of man during Thailand trip

A man who downed alcohol on a flight and swallowed Valium to relieve jet lag died hours after landing at a paradise island, an inquest heard.

Robert John Evans, 32, of Wernddu, Sarn, Bridgend, was found dead in a beach bungalow on Koh Samui, Thailand.

He drank gin and tonics on the flight from Heathrow and took sedatives when he arrived for the five-day trip.

Travel companion Jonathon Spragg told the inquest in Brackla, Bridgend, he woke and found his friend asleep on top of a laptop computer, and carried him to bed before going back to sleep himself.

The next day, Mr Spragg woke and thought Mr Evans was sleeping so went out for breakfast, not realising it was already 2.30pm. When he returned, he could not wake Mr Evans.

Mr Spragg said: “I turned him over and found he had vomited.” He tried to revive him but Mr Evans could not be resuscitated.

Mr Spragg said his friend was restless on the journey to Thailand, adding: “Rob was uneasy on the flight because he couldn’t relax. He was moving from seat to seat and aisle to aisle.”

He said Mr Evans downed gin and tonics during the flight and bought six bottles of Thai beer when they arrived at the bungalow. Mr Spragg said he later took two Valium tablets, and his friend took one, “for the jet lag”.

Pathologist Philip Bramwall, who performed a post-mortem examination, said Mr Evans had been embalmed after his death on June 23, 2006, so he was unable to ascertain a cause of death.

However, he said it was possible Mr Evans, who had signs of gastritis, choked on vomit.

Mr Evans tested positive for opiates, which could have been heroin or methadone, in “relatively low concentrations”. Mr Bramwell added that alcohol, sleeping tablets and opiates were a “potent mix”.

Coroner Philip Walters recorded an open verdict.

- South Wales Echo (UK)

Terrible story...the poor lad didnt even get the chance to enjoy paradise....still i would never condone the use of opiates...r.i.p

drinking dehydrates the body and exagerates jet lag. The best is to drink a lot of water during the flight and take sedatives just before the flight, if necessary. Sleeping during the flight is the best way to function reasonable normal after a long haul flight.

...after landing at a paradise island...

That must be us...

Valium for jet lag?

Probably took it to sleep, IME, it is very common for people to arrive in Thailand, get some valium from the pharmacy and take it to sleep.