Fake Ferrari, Made In Thailand

LaoPo

Wouldn't i be cool driving around in a fake ferrari with a fake rolex on your arm and completely dressed in fake clothes listening to a pirated cd?

Without one of those your ride isn't complete...

post-13995-1205753803_thumb.jpg

LaoPo

Ahhhhh my old gf.... She was the best. Wouldn't talk back and I could stow her in the closet only to pull her out when needed...... Ideal.....??

Making and registrating a street legal kit car in Thailand is not easy, you end up with a car that is just about legal in the province where it is registrated, and a load of problems driving out from that province.

Same situation with the homebuild american jeeps running in the tourist areas, they cannot leave the province.

It is illegal to modify and rebuild a car, truck or motobike.

MC

If you ask a Thai company to make the fibreglass molds for you (or indeed import them, the badges, the wing mirrors, copy exhaust etc.) it's certainly possible to fit a kit onto a Toyota MR2 in Thailand to become an F355. I would imagine you'd have far less trouble with police in Thailand than back home - in Thailand they'd never dream of stopping what looks like a Ferarri for fear of the driver being too influential!

Fake Ferrari star of piracy show

post-13995-1205326199_thumb.jpg The fake Ferrari is powered by a Subaru engine

Fake Ferrari unveiled at Brussels anti-piracy exhibition, 10 March 2008

A fake Ferrari sports car made in Thailand has become the centrepiece of an exhibition in Brussels warning against the dangers of pirated goods.

The Ferrari P4 - of which only three were made, in 1967 - was made in a back street factory in Thailand and is powered by a Subaru engine.

The Authentics Foundation has used the car to warn against the growing tide of counterfeit goods.

"I think this all maybe started with the DVDs and music being pirated and it has just exploded, basically, into something quite different," said model Yasmin Le Bon, an anti-counterfeit campaigner.

European Commission President Jose-Manuel Barroso gave his support to the campaign.

"It is indeed not only an economic problem; but a public health and a consumer problem," Mr Barroso said.

Authentics Foundation president Timothy P Trainer said: "It has got more complicated because now counterfeiters are into everything. Twenty years ago they were more into luxury brands and so on.

"Today, they are into electronics, they are into medicine, they are into food."

The foundation said as much as 80% of the pharmaceuticals sold in Nigeria are fake.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7289220.stm

Note for the Brits: :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7245498.stm

Fifth of Britons 'buy fake goods'

LaoPo :o

So, the inference is that Ferrari is no longer a "luxury brand"!

Is Mr Trainer Irish, perchance?

:D

Perhaps they should check out Massa's Ferrari to see if that was in fact a fake F1 car. :D

Pole Position, fastest lap and victory? Hardly a case of fake.

But how about Lewis Hamilton's McLaren? Even a Torro Rosso was able to overtake him. :o

The problem with fake cars is triple:

- Trademark issue: You are not allowed to put a Ferrari label or badge on it. Only a car made by the Ferrari factory is allowed to do that. To put a Ferrari label on a fake car is called Piracy and you could end in prison.

- Copyright issue: The exterior appearance of the car, the design of the body might be under copyright protection and to make a copy is illegal.

- Unfair competition: Look, these guys who made a copy of a P4 Ferrari, they probably did not do it just for their personal satisfaction. They wanted to sell it. And for this they choose to copy the work result of someone else. In other words, they tried to harvest where they did not plant; they stole Ferrari's work and effort for their personal profit and that's unfair. Why not make their own design?

some of these producers are so good that their replicas look like the real deal and perhaps, even better

There's a great irony if a counterfeit product is truly as good as, or better than, the original AND is cheaper -- shows how much is paid for the brand name itself. An abundance of replicas must rather detract from the "rarity" value & prestige of the original, so we can see how it would annoy Ferrari and those who relish the face factor.

We can't all own a Van Gogh but how many people have and enjoy the Sunflowers in reproduction? You could argue that such things promote aesthetic appreciation to a greater population :o .

I agree with MengWan:

this kind of product (vintage cars) is very bad for what is intended to demonstate.

"Fake" medicine is a different story. China produces a lot of it. (Does Thailand ? Or do they import it ?) If it's indeed the same as, and cheaper than, the original then it is great for people who would otherwise not have had access (and I don't feel much sympathy for the "loss" to the big drug companies). Unfortunately, it's quite often tainted and sometimes dangerous.

Edited by sylviex

so what iexactly distinguishes a fake from a kit car?

A kit car is a replica of a real original auto & a fake car would be a kit car. Same same 1988 a kit car of a Pantera-68 California special(mustang) or a 308 gts ferrari a kit could be bought (unassembled) for $5000.00 just threw it on a frame & modify to fit. Any car aficionado can smell a fake a mile away! Although I build the CS & a Panterra (with a Busch cup engine) that was pretty bad ass.And it looked sweet, but the bottom line is it is no where near worth the real value of the real McCoy.

Edited by Beardog