Swedish Woman Found Dead On Thai Beach

sriracha john

Swedish woman found dead on Thai beach

phuket-beach.jpg

The Swedish woman, 27, was found dead on a Phuket beach

Photo/graphics: Expressen.se

BANGKOK, Thailand: -- A Swedish tourist was found dead Saturday on a beach in Thailand, police said. The woman was identified as a 27-year-old who had been visiting the island of Phuket, one of Thailand's most popular tourist destinations, with two friends, police Lt. Gen. Sakchai Limcharoen.

One of the woman's travel companions discovered her body midday Saturday near the bungalow they had rented, Sakchai said.

She appeared to have been attacked with sharp objects, Sakchai said. Police were investigating the attack.

The Swedish Embassy was closed for the weekend and could not immediately be reached for comment.

- Associated Press 2008-03-16

Swedish tourist slain at Mai Khao

phuket-tent.jpg

The woman was staying with her friend in a tent on the beach.

Photo: Expressen.se

The body of a Swedish tourist was found at Mai Khao Beach, at the north end of Phuket, this morning.

Lt Col Somkid Khaosang of Tah Chat Chai Police Station named the deceased as Hanna Charlotta, 27.

Her body, dressed in a one-piece swimsuit, was found about 11:30 am on the beach around 300 meters from Mai Khao Beach Bungalow, where she was staying, Lt Col Somkid said.

Her throat had multiple stab wounds, he said, adding that her body had been taken to Thalang Hospital for autopsy.

Lt Gen Sakchai Limcharoen, Superintendent of Tah Chat Chai Police Station said in a press release that police believe three to four people were involved in the attack, which is believed to have been an attempted rape.

- Phuket Gazette

Swedish tourist murdered in Phuket

A Swedish woman was stabbed to death yesterday as she was walking near Mai Khao beach in Phuket, police said. The body of Charlotta Hanna, 27, was found 300 metres from the beach bungalows, a seaside resort in Thalang district. She was found with a stab wound to the neck. Hanna checked in on March 6 and liked going for walks along the beach every

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/16Mar2008_news06.php

Incidents of Farangs being assaulted or murdered in Thailand are on a dramatic increase.

Thailand will soon find itself red flagged as a dangerous destination for tourists.

Maybe it is already, I don't know.

Edited by Maigo6

this story is already appearing in the international press , cant be long before a tipping point is reached , and whether thailand is actually any more dangerous than other places or not , it will be perceived as being more dangerous and that perception is all it needs to gain that reputation.

a reputation once gained is very hard to shake off.

this story is already appearing in the international press , cant be long before a tipping point is reached , and whether thailand is actually any more dangerous than other places or not , it will be perceived as being more dangerous and that perception is all it needs to gain that reputation.

Yet again. Yes true we don't really know whether it's more dangerous than say Mexico or Spain for Western tourists. But we calculated in another thread that (following the string of Canadian deaths) Canada had already reached it's annual quota for Canadians 'murdered' in Thailand (as opposed to accidents) .. and with another 10 months still to go..

The Foreign Offices of each of these countries should carry these detatils of murders, rapes and crimes against their nationals on their Travel Advisories for each country. Personally, I think it should be a legal requirement. I think the US State Dept site probably gives the most frank assessment on these travel issues and violent crime risks. By not doing so, I think the underlines the suspicion that many have (including me) that these various foreign embassies and foreign offices are more interested in maintaining good trade relations and courting the wealthy hi-so potential investors than watching out for the personal safety of their citizens going abroad. In other words, a conflict of interest.

Would that have resulted in this young woman cancelling her trip to Thailand? Probably not - but she might have been a bit more alert to the potential dangers when venturing away from her hotel or bungalow for her solo walks.

Edited by thaigene2

I'm very sorry to hear this news, and my condolences to her family and friends. This is very frightening, because it seems that it may have happened in the morning in broad daylight.

It does seem dramatically more dangerous for foreign females. It's been

a few years since I've been down to Phuket but I remember the locals

pursuing the Japanese girls mercilessly. It made me uncomfortable in

the middle of the afternoon just watching it. Another sad story here. :o

Indeed, Kat, terrible for her family and friends.

And on another note, lets remember the high profile Thai Visa has in the international community and remember to show some respect for the deceased woman and her family when posting, thanks

Incidents of Farangs being assaulted or murdered in Thailand are on a dramatic increase.

Thailand will soon find itself red flagged as a dangerous destination for tourists.

Maybe it is already, I don't know.

Please provide the numbers with which you make this claim. I'll settle for the five year change. In the interim you might want to read Post #25

This story is about a suspected attempt at, or an actual rape. Should be somewhat personal for us because we all have mothers or sisters or girlfriends/wives etc. This is someone's best friend or close relative, not a nameless stat.

Rapists usually target those that are the most likely to remain silent or that appear to be weak. It is a crime directed at women as a whole, not at tourists per se so one should not generalize about this incident. In this case, we have a body. However, most rape cases are not reported. If they were, the likelihood is that this killer may have been stopped if someone had reported him (or her). Rapists don't stop at 1 victim and they don't usually kill on the first rape either. In fact, rapists that murder are a rarity. If this is indeed rape related, then people should be very concerned as there is a seriously disturbed person (or persons) out there. It would be wise for women not to be out alone until the perpatrator(s) is caught. Hopefully, this poor girl's life won't be for nothing and rape victims will come forward.

Edited by geriatrickid

Yet again. Yes true we don't really know whether it's more dangerous than say Mexico or Spain for Western tourists. But we calculated in another thread that (following the string of Canadian deaths) Canada had already reached it's annual quota for Canadians 'murdered' in Thailand (as opposed to accidents) .. and with another 10 months still to go..

The Foreign Offices of each of these countries should carry these detatils of murders, rapes and crimes against their nationals on their Travel Advisories for each country. Personally, I think it should be a legal requirement. I think the US State Dept site probably gives the most frank assessment on these travel issues and violent crime risks. By not doing so, I think the underlines the suspicion that many have (including me) that these various foreign embassies and foreign offices are more interested in maintaining good trade relations and courting the wealthy hi-so potential investors than watching out for the personal safety of their citizens going abroad. In other words, a conflict of interest.

Would that have resulted in this young woman cancelling her trip to Thailand? Probably not - but she might have been a bit more alert to the potential dangers when venturing away from her hotel or bungalow for her solo walks.

My heart goes out to this young womans family...so so sad. It is that much harder when the death is by violent means.

If you ever need someone to talk to, or just listen, don't hesitate. I am sorry for your loss...

I have lost several people in my life, but my brother's has hit me so much harder and different.

My brother Dale Henry was murdered in Ranong, Thailand on Feb.3/08.

You are so right, where are the travel advisories?? Relaxed...an understatement. His murder was not reported to the Canadian embassy for 40 hours, and it was finally reported by a friend??

My heart goes out to this young womans family...so so sad. It is that much harder when the death is by violent means.

If you ever need someone to talk to, or just listen, don't hesitate. I am sorry for your loss...

I have lost several people in my life, but my brother's has hit me so much harder and different.

My brother Dale Henry was murdered in Ranong, Thailand on Feb.3/08.

You are so right, where are the travel advisories?? Relaxed...an understatement. His murder was not reported to the Canadian embassy for 40 hours, and it was finally reported by a friend??

I think travel advisories are a joke and there will come a day when more severe measures will have to be taken. Cigarettes take a lifetime to kill you, but they insist on black lungs and tumors on cigarette packs when some countries will kill you in a few days after stepping out of their airports, either on their dangerous roads, by murder or neglected deathtraps. I`m lucky to have married a woman from a family with great values and respect, on the other hand the roads are where I think I may die, or will kill , eventually. I think I have defied and beat the odds too many times on the roads by now and the day we will fly out of here soon will be sad, but also a relief.

Good luck to all families with the way these murder cases are treated by a corrupt police force and a country bent on continually saving face.

May your loved ones rest in peace.

There is a travel caution.

Sexual assaults against foreign women have occurred. Female travellers should exercise caution at all times. Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada publishes a booklet, Her Own Way, specifically targeted at female travellers. Its prime objective is to inform and inspire Canadian women to travel safely.

and in bold red print on the web page at

The decision to travel is the sole responsibility of the traveller. The traveller is also responsible for his or her own personal safety. The purpose of this Travel Report is to provide Canadians with up-to-date information to enable them to make well-informed decisions.

All that a foreign government can do in respect to rape, is to warn travelers that they occur and that people must take appropriate caution. Rapes occur in every location of Canada and Sweden as they do in Thailand. In Canada, Mr. Picton was recently convicted of 2nd degree murder in the rape, torture and murder of 6 women. He awaits trial on another 20 murders, with more still being investigated. He was at it for over a decade. Thankfully, Thailand has been free of such lunacy. Claims of Thailand being unsafe in this matter are unfair, and are not supported by the reported number of rape-murders. Based upon the number of verified reports, a rape murder appears to be one of the least likely crimes in Thailand compared foreigners' home countries. One cannot blame all of Thailand for this tragic event. We don't even have all the facts here. What happens if the culprit is another foreigner? It might very well be since rapists usually know their victims. That's the part should be of concern.

........corrupt police force and a country bent on continually saving face.........

Hear hear. Well said, Tony.

I do not always agree with Tony but he hit the nail on the head there

Thai's are so concerned with face as they have so little to lose

Update:

CSD joins manhunt for Swedish tourist killer in Phuket

PHUKET: -- The bangkok-based Crime Suppression Division Sunday deployed its officers to join local police in Phuket to Bconduct a manhunt for the killer of a Swedish tourist.

Hanna Charlotta Backlund, 27, was found dead with multiple stab wounds on Mai Khao Beach in Phuket's Thalang district Saturday afternoon.

CSD Commander Pol Maj Gen Pongphat Chayaphan said he had deployed some officers to help local police to hunt for the killer.

Phongphat said the wounds appeared like being inflicted by a kind of knife of local fishermen so police would question local fishermen and workers at all construction sites near the beach.

-- The Nation 2008-03-16

Update:

CSD joins manhunt for Swedish tourist killer in Phuket

PHUKET: -- The bangkok-based Crime Suppression Division Sunday deployed its officers to join local police in Phuket to Bconduct a manhunt for the killer of a Swedish tourist.

Hanna Charlotta Backlund, 27, was found dead with multiple stab wounds on Mai Khao Beach in Phuket's Thalang district Saturday afternoon.

CSD Commander Pol Maj Gen Pongphat Chayaphan said he had deployed some officers to help local police to hunt for the killer.

Phongphat said the wounds appeared like being inflicted by a kind of knife of local fishermen so police would question local fishermen and workers at all construction sites near the beach.

-- The Nation 2008-03-16

This sets things up very nicely to pin blame on a burmese fisherman or construction worker. How can he tell from looking at the wound that the knife is a fishing knife? If it's a fishing knife, why would he search construction sites?

Edited by womble

There is a travel caution.

Sexual assaults against foreign women have occurred. Female travellers should exercise caution at all times. Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada publishes a booklet, Her Own Way, specifically targeted at female travellers. Its prime objective is to inform and inspire Canadian women to travel safely.

and in bold red print on the web page at

The decision to travel is the sole responsibility of the traveller. The traveller is also responsible for his or her own personal safety. The purpose of this Travel Report is to provide Canadians with up-to-date information to enable them to make well-informed decisions.

All that a foreign government can do in respect to rape, is to warn travelers that they occur and that people must take appropriate caution. Rapes occur in every location of Canada and Sweden as they do in Thailand. In Canada, Mr. Picton was recently convicted of 2nd degree murder in the rape, torture and murder of 6 women. He awaits trial on another 20 murders, with more still being investigated. He was at it for over a decade. Thankfully, Thailand has been free of such lunacy. Claims of Thailand being unsafe in this matter are unfair, and are not supported by the reported number of rape-murders. Based upon the number of verified reports, a rape murder appears to be one of the least likely crimes in Thailand compared foreigners' home countries. One cannot blame all of Thailand for this tragic event. We don't even have all the facts here. What happens if the culprit is another foreigner? It might very well be since rapists usually know their victims. That's the part should be of concern.

Alot more to this than meets the eye...http://www.cbc.ca/news/interactives/cp-pickton/

But back on topic, Quote "Dale may have been just a wealthy farang to more then just Nee. you never know so better to be careful. What would Dale have said if someone told him his wonderful loving wife was going to have his head blown off??? Exactly."

So many questions, so few answers? It's not just women...Lots of men (farangs) being victimized!!

They should also have a caution booklet "His Own Way".

Sorry to the family for going off topic. Forgive me for any disrespect that is not intended.

Swedish woman found dead on Thai beach

phuket-beach.jpg

The Swedish woman, 27, was found dead on this beach on a Phuket beach

Photo/graphics: Expressen.se

BANGKOK, Thailand: -- A Swedish tourist was found dead Saturday on a beach in Thailand, police said. The woman was identified as a 27-year-old who had been visiting the island of Phuket, one of Thailand's most popular tourist destinations, with two friends, police Lt. Gen. Sakchai Limcharoen.

One of the woman's travel companions discovered her body midday Saturday near the bungalow they had rented, Sakchai said.

She appeared to have been attacked with sharp objects, Sakchai said. Police were investigating the attack.

The Swedish Embassy was closed for the weekend and could not immediately be reached for comment.

- Associated Press 2008-03-16

Does the photo used by AP have any bearing to the case, apart from the fact it shows a beach? Even the story contradicts the photo as it says the body was found at midday.

If I recall correctly, wasn't this the beach chairs in that Russian girl murder case at Pattaya last year?

And the next photo of a Thai man outside an open tent - is that relevant, the crime scene perhaps? - or just another red herring? I think the media owe readers better than this, if they are just pulling random photos ff their databases as I suspect, as it could prejuduce the outcome of inquiries and public perception.

Does the photo used by AP have any bearing to the case, apart from the fact it shows a beach? Even the story contradicts the photo as it says the body was found at midday.

If I recall correctly, wasn't this the beach chairs in that Russian girl murder case at Pattaya last year?

And the next photo of a Thai man outside an open tent - is that relevant, the crime scene perhaps? - or just another red herring? I think the media owe readers better than this, if they are just pulling random photos ff their databases as I suspect, as it could prejuduce the outcome of inquiries and public perception.

We are informed that the photos from the Swedish press are related to this case, taken last night after the incident.

The latest from Nai Yang Beach (the next beach south from Mai Khao) is that the police seem to believe that westerners might have been involved - or so it would appear judging by the questions they were asking here.

Once again this is only hearsay and people shouldn't jump to conclusions.

I will endeavour to find out more.

We are informed that the photos from the Swedish press are related to this case, taken last night after the incident.

Thanks for the clarification George. :o

The resemblance with the Russian case was just coincidental then. Still, they should have waited for a day time shot of beach, imo, to validate the context of the story a bit.