Update On Bkk Isaan Restaurants

jfchandler

Had a night out last weekend and went looking for a nice place in BKK (air con, wait staff, real chairs!!!) to enjoy good Isaan food, with mixed results.

The Internet is a great information resource, but it also has its pitfalls, particularly regarding the shelf life of information. Had seen a variety of pretty good online reviews for a place called Sarah-Jane's in the Sindhorn Tower on Wireless Road. But upon arrival, discovered it had been (long?) gone. Lesson here... always call first!!!

Anyone know what happened to it? And did its supposed second branch on Sukhumvit Soi 26 survive or also depart this world?

So, after that miss, headed for a sure destination at Cafe de Laos on Silom Soi 19. Must say, it's a beautiful, charming restaurant LOCATION, with indoor and outdoor garden seating, cloth napkins, pretty good wait staff, a very broad menu, and prices generally in the 100-200 baht per entree range.

That was to the good. But after ordering a range of fairly standard Isaan dishes, found that the food was well-prepared and presented, but really lacked the fire and bite of authentic Isaan food that I'm more accustomed to. So I can only presume it had been "falang-ized" to fit with the prevailing clientele in the area. Interestingly, at about 8 p.m. on a Saturday night, the restaurant also was nearly deserted.

As a side note, we tried their version of beef larb, and while a bit tame, much to my surprise found some of the best Thai food beef (Thai food means I'm excluding steak dishes here) that I've found served in Thailand - very thinly sliced, absolutely tender, cooked just right, no fat or other stuff... It restored my faith a bit that it is possible to occasionally find a "good" Thai food dish here prepared with beef.

In the week before, also paid a return visit to Ventiane Kitchen in Sukhumvit with a ground of Thais who originally hailed from Isaan. Both they and I enjoyed a variety of dishes over a couple visits, and likewise for the Thai music and dance/swordplay shows in the evening. All positive comments from my Thai friends about the quality and authenticity of the food there (they enjoyed, but I passed on the ant egg soup), despite the place's reputation as a bit of a tourist destination.

On the flip side, a recent visit to Steak Lao's branch on New Petchburi Road confirmed what a variety of other posters have said. The Thai food (we didn't order steak) and prices were OK, pretty decent... But the service was exceptionally bad, almost to the point of being non-attentive and at times seemingly surly -- and that was during a weekday lunchtime when the restaurant was quiet with few customers.

I already know what others will say... stick to street food when you want Isaan... But, there are times when you just want some without having an accompanying appetizer of clouds of diesel bus fumes.

Had a night out last weekend and went looking for a nice place in BKK (air con, wait staff, real chairs!!!) to enjoy good Isaan food, with mixed results.

The Internet is a great information resource, but it also has its pitfalls, particularly regarding the shelf life of information. Had seen a variety of pretty good online reviews for a place called Sarah-Jane's in the Sindhorn Tower on Wireless Road. But upon arrival, discovered it had been (long?) gone. Lesson here... always call first!!!

Anyone know what happened to it? And did its supposed second branch on Sukhumvit Soi 26 survive or also depart this world?

So, after that miss, headed for a sure destination at Cafe de Laos on Silom Soi 19. Must say, it's a beautiful, charming restaurant LOCATION, with indoor and outdoor garden seating, cloth napkins, pretty good wait staff, a very broad menu, and prices generally in the 100-200 baht per entree range.

That was to the good. But after ordering a range of fairly standard Isaan dishes, found that the food was well-prepared and presented, but really lacked the fire and bite of authentic Isaan food that I'm more accustomed to. So I can only presume it had been "falang-ized" to fit with the prevailing clientele in the area. Interestingly, at about 8 p.m. on a Saturday night, the restaurant also was nearly deserted.

As a side note, we tried their version of beef larb, and while a bit tame, much to my surprise found some of the best Thai food beef (Thai food means I'm excluding steak dishes here) that I've found served in Thailand - very thinly sliced, absolutely tender, cooked just right, no fat or other stuff... It restored my faith a bit that it is possible to occasionally find a "good" Thai food dish here prepared with beef. :D:D:o

In the week before, also paid a return visit to Ventiane Kitchen in Sukhumvit with a ground of Thais who originally hailed from Isaan. Both they and I enjoyed a variety of dishes over a couple visits, and likewise for the Thai music and dance/swordplay shows in the evening. All positive comments from my Thai friends about the quality and authenticity of the food there (they enjoyed, but I passed on the ant egg soup), despite the place's reputation as a bit of a tourist destination.

On the flip side, a recent visit to Steak Lao's branch on New Petchburi Road confirmed what a variety of other posters have said. The Thai food (we didn't order steak) and prices were OK, pretty decent... But the service was exceptionally bad, almost to the point of being non-attentive and at times seemingly surly -- and that was during a weekday lunchtime when the restaurant was quiet with few customers.

I already know what others will say... stick to street food when you want Isaan... But, there are times when you just want some without having an accompanying appetizer of clouds of diesel bus fumes.

• 1 month later...

If you're looking for a nice place to eat Issan food, try going to Som Tum Nua (ส้มตำนัว) on the Kaset-Navamin road. That is probably the best place for Issan food. I really don't like street Issan food since most of the stuff is really low grade. The papayas aren't crisps.

Thanks for the update on Sarah Jane's having moved to Hua Hin... A bit far of a jaunt from BKK just for dinner, but good to know if one's staying there for a visit... How is the food in their new location???

Meanwhile... there is a new som tam place that's air con and pretty good right at the steps of the BTS Thong Lo station....

See my post and review about it here... I like it a lot...for good, inexpensive food...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1964072

As a side note, we tried their version of beef larb, and while a bit tame, much to my surprise found some of the best Thai food beef (Thai food means I'm excluding steak dishes here) that I've found served in Thailand - very thinly sliced, absolutely tender, cooked just right, no fat or other stuff... It restored my faith a bit that it is possible to occasionally find a "good" Thai food dish here prepared with beef.

I am a little surprised to hear a good review of CAFE DE LAOS. thats actually the only place I have been really ripped-off in my now 5 years living in Bangkok.

did u check ur bill properly ?

went there at valentine's day, Feb. 2007.

my companion and me we both were not really hungry so we only had a drink and a one-plate-dish each.

expected to pay no more than around 600-700 Baht, but when the bill came, it was a hefty 1.200. I asked the staff what they charged and then found out about a 400 baht "service surcharge". it was not a computerized bill, just some amounts printed out from a calculating machine with no further information about the sums added.

unfortunately, I gave them the money first and only asked about the dubious bill after I got my change back. but both me and my companion were not in the mood to start a brawl..... so they easily got away with this that night.....

Earlier, I saw there were some discussions about the bill with restaurant-staff and non-Thai Asian tourists

, but didnt know what was going on.... until I became the scammer's prey myself....

by the way, the food wasnt really impressing either..... took them more than 1 hour to prepare a special SomTam variation for my companion (they pride themselves with offering more than 20 different variations of SomTam.... but obviously, they didnt have the necessary ingredients to prepare the dish ordered by my companion..... we saw one staff suddenly leaving the place and then coming back 15 minutes later, obviously bringing some vegetables or spices from any nearby market or so - my companion noticed that, as the things the staff brought in could easily be identified due to a transparent plastic bag....)

Edited by siam2007

A place where the Thai G/F and I really enjoy Issan food is at Isaan House. It's down a left side sub-soi of Sukhumvit soi 4, right down the bottom end, almost opposite the Woraburi Hotel. It's very peaceful and relaxing with seating both inside and out with Thai music and dancing being performed. Lan Som Tam Nua has already been mentioned by niva103, they also have a Restaurant in Siam Square (Soi 4 I believe), and although it may not be the ideal place for a romanic night out with the Thai G/F, it is fantasic food and perfectly located for a bite after an afternoon's shopping.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to TheCatMan for the post above regarding the Isan House restaurant on a side soi to Sukhumvit Soi 4 (Nana). Went there last night with the TGF for the first time, and had a surprisingly pleasant and unexpected experience...

I knew nothing about this restaurant other than the TV mention above, except for the fact that we both really like Isan food. But knowing the area, I figured it would be some small, sweaty shop squeezed in among the many bars and such around Nana... But boy... was that ever the wrong idea....as we soon discovered...

As we walked there, we soon discovered a couple of things.... As had been suggested, the restaurant isn't actually on Soi 4, but rather a side soi... And, the side soi is really at the far back end of Soi 4, on the left hand side, just before you get to the Woraburi Hotel. So walk or take a tuk tuk far far back into Soi 4 and then hang a left just before you get to the Woraburi... Then, what you'll be on is a long, not well lit, but quiet residential street with pretty much only houses.... At that point, I began to wonder if we had gone astray, except, we kept seeing signs along the road for the restaurant, so we kept walking...

Finally, after a couple hundred meters, we hear people talking and see ahead some lantern lights hanging from a large tree and we come upon the restaurant, right in the middle of a quiet residential area pretty much with only houses. And the restaurant is a new, modern, lovely expensive looking house... but the eating area is outside in a beautiful, modern garden with the big lanterns-adorned tree, fountains and plants. The eating area has both regular tables and chairs, and also traditional wooden platforms for sitting on the floor around low tables with Thai cushions... It is a lovely, quiet, romantic setting.

The menu is pretty extensive, with most of the regular Isan choices, as well as regular Thai food and other choices... Nothing cheap or plastic here... Everything served on dishware and glasses... The service was very good and attentive, always nearby, but not pushy or bothersome... just right, I'd say. And the prices are about what you'd expect for this caliber/style of restaurant, averaging around 150 baht for the typical entree. Our total bill for 4 dishes, two non alcoholic drinks and two orders of rice came to about 800 baht.

We had som tam with raw clams... larb moo, stir fried duck with cashew nuts, and sun dried beef, along with both regular and sticky rice... All of the dishes were well prepared and tasted good... My GF doesn't like her food too spicy, so we ordered medium, and everything came out a bit tame for me.. But all in all, a very pleasant, satisfying meal...

They're open from 11 am to midnight every day... And to our surprise, they also have their own tuk tuk, so when you're finished, they're happy to drive you back to anywhere along Soi 4, including all the way back to Sukhumvit Road. Although we were there late and missed it, the staff told us they also have Thai music and dancing performance every night from about 7:30 until 10 p.m., so we'll have to catch that next time...

Below, you can see their postcard photo, which is an accurate display, and their business card and map...

post-53787-1213593680_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1213593691_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1213593709_thumb.jpg

Thannon Narathiwat near the junction with soi 24, there are a couple of good Isaan restaurants, the outdoor kind, they don't look nice but the food is very good.

Has anyone been to the Sarah-Janes on Narathiwat?

Thannon Narathiwat near the junction with soi 24, there are a couple of good Isaan restaurants, the outdoor kind, they don't look nice but the food is very good.

Has anyone been to the Sarah-Janes on Narathiwat?

I live close to the Narathiwat restaurant but have never eaten there. It doesn't seem to do much business on weekends but maybe it's busier during weekday lunch-hours when I'm not around.