I'm Thinking Of Buying An Old Motorbike

mort

im thinking of buying an old motorbike the problem is it doesnt have paperwork so i cant get tax for it,and it doesnt at the moment have tax. the thai just rides it and pays his roadside fines, is there any way i can re-register the bike so i can get tax?

You're just buying trouble.

Go for a legitimate bike, either new or from a reputable dealer - if you are around Pattaya, see Scott at Siam Motorbikes (near Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital, opposite Mini Siam) and he will see you OK.

Elsewhere there will also be good deals to be had.

Just don't get 'had'.

If your stopped they can take it away. chances are slim but it can happen. Better buying one with a book.

I ride a 1970 triumph here in Phuket with ca plates on it for the past 6 years. never any trouble and when I am stopped they just want to know where it is from and if I can get them one :-)

A convenient thread...in my disgraceful old age I would like to obtain a chopper (chopped H-D v-twin bike). Anywhere in LOS where I could find one? Parts would be easy by post? Better to find an outlaw in California with Dennis Hopper 'Easy Rider' forks on his rig, top him and steal his ride than attempt the same in LOS? Can do almost anything mechanical but am not a good welder as would be required to chop an existing bike...

Please advise...

I asked around Pattaya a while back about Harleys, and Triumphs. The impression I got was for anything custom you're better off going to Bangkok. There's a Harley shop near the Big C on Pattaya Tai, it seems to have quite a few bikes in it last time I went past, but I didn't go in. Maybe I'll go back...

A convenient thread...in my disgraceful old age I would like to obtain a chopper (chopped H-D v-twin bike). Anywhere in LOS where I could find one? Parts would be easy by post? Better to find an outlaw in California with Dennis Hopper 'Easy Rider' forks on his rig, top him and steal his ride than attempt the same in LOS? Can do almost anything mechanical but am not a good welder as would be required to chop an existing bike...

Please advise...

Tutsi, where about in Thailand are you? I ride a Harley and know most of the Harley shops around Thailand.

im thinking of buying an old motorbike the problem is it doesnt have paperwork so i cant get tax for it,and it doesnt at the moment have tax. the thai just rides it and pays his roadside fines, is there any way i can re-register the bike so i can get tax?

mort, what kind of old bike is it? If it's a little step-through then I wouldn't bother trying to get a green book for it, as getting one would cost 35,000b upwards.

Gazza...please PM me with your info. Please remember that I want a chopper...not a stock bike, suitable for roaring around the local central Thailand environs with my oldest niece on the back who with her long legs succulent ass and tits by the time I'm ready to make the purchase (she's 11 now) to inflame the lust and murderous inclinations of neighbors everywhere...('but that's Mr tutsi and his niece'...'don't give a shit...he is one dead falang...')

the welding for the frame is the most important bit...

with her long legs succulent ass and tits by the time I'm ready to make the purchase (she's 11 now) to inflame the lust and murderous inclinations of neighbors everywhere...('but that's Mr tutsi and his niece'...'don't give a shit...he is one dead falang...')

:D Gazza i would not give this guy your info :o

Don't buy a bike without paper (green book). You cant pay tax and without sticker

they can take your bike. The book don't need your name but you need the book.

Before you can just pay the fine and use the bike. I have a couple of old bikes without paper, I just used them somtimes after dark or weekends when I am sure the lazy cops not work. (Isan) Now the cops stop you everywhere for helmet, licence,sticker etc. If they have a reason to fine you and without paper they will take your bike to the policestation. There is lot of old good bike with paper in Thailand. Or buy two, A cheap good one without paper for "parts" and another cheap broken one with paper. Check one of the websides.

Please advise...

There are a lot of Places to go to for that....Essentially what you are looking for is a Shovelhead or Panhead...You can pick one up for around 200,000-450,000 baht depending on the condition of the bike....A lot of Newer customs are surfacung also with newer souped up engines....96 ci and up, with Arlen Ness frames and Jesse James frames....amongst a few!

If you wanna do the easy rider thing( older late 60's chopper) it is totally attainable here in Thailand. I have seen quite a few custom choppers from that era. Luckily for us, there are a lot more HD shops in the Pattaya area and also some bvery reliable addresses in Bangkok. A friend even sells 2004 HD bikes with all legalities covered at very interesting prices, and the second hand market is amazing( do be careful where you buy and make sure(absolutely) that there is a book for it and it is properly registered and the frame and engine numbers are matching to the numbers registered in the book). If you need any help or some reliable addresses please contact me...Best of luck! :o

Please remember that I want a chopper...not a stock bike, suitable for roaring around the local central Thailand environs

Try this link for a list of shops selling HD's.

http://www.geocities.com/bkkriders/shops/hd.html

If you want to stretch the neck and fit extended springers or telescopics then you'd have to buy an almost stock bike first anyway in order to customise it.

The only shop that I know of that would have experience with raking heads would be V2 Custom in Pattaya.

The best shop to actually buy a bike FOR customising would be Siam Speedway then take it to V2 in Pattaya. For parts and servicing I go to Jammer as they have ###### near everything in stock.

V2, Big Twin, V-Speed and Siam Speedway may possibly have an already customised bike for sale. Or check out the 'Ride Thailand magazine's' website(in Thai only)

And if it's Stolen??

Please remember that I want a chopper...not a stock bike, suitable for roaring around the local central Thailand environs

Try this link for a list of shops selling HD's.

http://www.geocities.com/bkkriders/shops/hd.html

If you want to stretch the neck and fit extended springers or telescopics then you'd have to buy an almost stock bike first anyway in order to customise it.

The only shop that I know of that would have experience with raking heads would be V2 Custom in Pattaya.

The best shop to actually buy a bike FOR customising would be Siam Speedway then take it to V2 in Pattaya. For parts and servicing I go to Jammer as they have ###### near everything in stock.

V2, Big Twin, V-Speed and Siam Speedway may possibly have an already customised bike for sale. Or check out the 'Ride Thailand magazine's' website(in Thai only)

Cheers Gazza,

Been looking for a harley or a customised Yamaha drag star, cheers, that link really helped me, that is a great site of Siam Speedway, paying them a visit in November, i will take Kringle with me. he is customising a kawasaki eliminator.