Where To Buy A Laptop On Samui?

My laptop is in for repairs and just in case it doesn't survive I'd like to know where to buy a new one. I tried Tesco but the selection was poor. What other places should I check?

Try PC WORLD.....turn left after big buddah...12 year interest free credit at the mo! :o

My laptop is in for repairs and just in case it doesn't survive I'd like to know where to buy a new one. I tried Tesco but the selection was poor. What other places should I check?

...go to Rawadee in Lamai (ITC) http://www.rawadee.com/ :o

the best and friendliest Computer-shop on island.

She don't have Notebooks there, but you can order from her

everything, She will order for you directly in Bangkok and a

few days later you pick up your order from her shop.....

Personally highly recommended (She works very serious)

(i don't get commission for recommend her, also i am not married with her)

Chayaphum

Do NOT purchase computer equipment from Lotus whatever you do. They repackage and resell seconds from the factories and when something goes wrong with your gear - it stays wrong. They have NO support whatsoever and have NO idea what they are doing or selling.

HOWEVER, Rawadee at IT Complex! That is correct, they will be here next year, they will support you very well.

Always purchase local or when things go wrong you will be having a trip up to Bangkok.

Besides, support local business, it is good for you.

Alway, only ever purchase computer equipment from shops who have been there for a while and appear to be hanging around, too many computer shops are open then closed a few months later and again, big problem with the support that you WILL be needing.

Birth, tax, death and computer problems are the four universal priniciples you can count on occuring. All else is illusory.

cheers and good luck.

Do NOT purchase computer equipment from Lotus whatever you do. They repackage and resell seconds from the factories and when something goes wrong with your gear - it stays wrong. They have NO support whatsoever and have NO idea what they are doing or selling.

HOWEVER, Rawadee at IT Complex! That is correct, they will be here next year, they will support you very well.

Always purchase local or when things go wrong you will be having a trip up to Bangkok.

Besides, support local business, it is good for you.

Alway, only ever purchase computer equipment from shops who have been there for a while and appear to be hanging around, too many computer shops are open then closed a few months later and again, big problem with the support that you WILL be needing.

Birth, tax, death and computer problems are the four universal priniciples you can count on occuring. All else is illusory.

cheers and good luck.

southbot, where did you get this information

Do NOT purchase computer equipment from Lotus whatever you do. They repackage and resell seconds from the factories and when something goes wrong with your gear - it stays wrong. They have NO support whatsoever and have NO idea what they are doing or selling

When i bought my laptop, it was Brand Spanking New... no seconds or anything like you mentioned.... apart from that a large multi national comapny would not con customers this way!... i actually have a friend that works for tesco's who can verify this

But as mentioned by you, i am all for supporting local buinesses, but there prices seem to be marked up slightly againest the larger department stores...

Quote: southbot, where did you get this information

Quote: Do NOT purchase computer equipment from Lotus whatever you do. They repackage and resell seconds from the factories and when something goes wrong with your gear - it stays wrong. They have NO support whatsoever and have NO idea what they are doing or selling

I get this info from me. I am a (computer) network technician, 30 years experience, started on VAX/VMS using COBOL, around the time dinorsaurs roamed the Earth. :-)

I personally have seen many items I know are repacked seconds.

NOT every item, but some items. I prefer not to take that chance.

Further to that, Tesco is a large multinational corporation, they do nothing for Thailand, they do not even spend money to train their staff.

I would say "better to support small local business" than to support Trashco/Blotus.

Believe me, they are not entirely ethical and I know for a fact that they (at least used to) sell repackaged seconds.

They may not do this now, but that they did it ever is enough.

Also of note: Your notebook MAY be new, but it will break down one day and if the issue is hardware you just go see what you get regards support there. Nill / nuffin / zilch aka zero.

You are right in that the prices there are far lower than smaller shops, that's true. That IS a point but so are the above.

I am glad your notebook worked out.

Edited by southbot

I'm thinking about ordering a new one online and having it shipped here via UPS. I bought my now dead one online. It allowed me to "build" according to my own personal preferences instead of taking something as-is off the shelf. I would like to order from a site in Thailand to avoid import duties, etc. Does anyone know of any particularly good sites? English would be necessary of course. Maybe any major manufacturer would be represented here?

UPDATE...

I was told by the computer shop near the Lake & Ring roads that my laptop was dead and a new motherboard would cost 18,000 baht (because I didn't buy the laptop in Thailand). To their credit they didn't charge me anything for checking it out. All the same, before I stepped up my search for a new one, I took it to Juha the computer whiz with a little shop across from Springers Pub in south Chaweng. After I explained what had happened, he plugged it in and IT WORKED! I guess it just needed longer to dry out.

The same thing happened to me with an old laptop, when I went to Cayenne, in French Guyana (Amazonia). The humidity level was so high that my laptop stoped working. it just wouldn't start. Actually, condensation started forming inside the machine.... After a couple of days in the air conditioning, it started working again.

Don't expose your computer too much outside, when there's humidity in the air :o

After I explained what had happened, he plugged it in and IT WORKED! I guess it just needed longer to dry out.

Dry out?

It was in a bag that was exposed to the rain for a short time. When I took it out I didn't see any signs that it had gotten wet. I was travelling so didn't get to check until the next day. I told the computer "experts" what had happened. I guess they didn't understand because some other people were telling me to dry it out in an air conditioned room so the experts should have suggested that as well. All's well that ends well.

I had a similar problem with my flash drive MP3 player. I didn't drop it in the water but it did get some drops of water on it. The volume button didn't work correctly after that. Since I don't have ac I put it in a bag of uncooked rice, it sucks the moisture out. Took a few times but eventually it was fine and I've had no more problems. So, even though you can't stick your laptop in a bag of rice, if it acts up again, it could be a little bit of moisture still, so take it back to an ac room and leave it there for a while.

Good news and much cheaper than buying a new one!

***bag of rice trick works on watches as well***