Thai Boxing Music

The Gentleman Scamp

Where did this nauseating catawalling originate?

How did a racket that sounds not dissimilar to a cat massacre in a bagpipe factory come to represent Thailand's #1 sport?

I'm sorry if this sounds ungrateful to Thailand in any way but I'm sorry, the music that they have for boxing is really very very bad indeed and puts me off going to see the show.

Ever heard it when you have a headache or a hangover? It's sheer torture and can drive one to madness - maybe that's why it was created - I don't know but I would be very interested to know.

It's almost as bad as Tata Young.

I hate that music too but love listening to the reactions when my in-laws are watching it. Everytime a boxer connects with a good blow my in-laws cry out with a 'UH! UH!' as though they're the ones who're being kicked in the stomache. :o

• 1 month later...

i love the music...it's part of the tradition of muay thai, like the respect for teacher and ritual dance asking for protection prior to fighting

the tempo speeds as the fight continues....the tempo being an indication as to how long is left in the fight

....i dont think the doors/beatles/beach boys or stones hold any influence over muay thai music...and i'm unsure what music u'd suggest they play to a traditional art?

...to the untrained ear it may sound like a din but i'm sure the same could be said of music from the past 10 generations :o

Being a musician, I love the music. The wind instrument has some interesting tones when the musician alternates quiclky between notes. Simple 3 man band, works for me.

The most annoying music instrument to me is bagpipes. I never could understand how the drone and shrieks of that instrument survived through the centuries. It was probably the first thing the archers were aiming for when at war. It also looks like a plumber`s son school project that went bad, mom was a shepherd.

Don't watch enough Thai boxing to have it bother me. I do like bagpipes on the odd (all beit rare) occassion. Seen where they were played going into battle and used to scare the crappe out of the enemy. Fierce fighters from what I've read.

Fierce fighters from what I've read.

Kringle..

I hope you are talking about the Highlanders and not the Scottish National Football Team as being fierce fighters... :o

I like Bagpipes, Very Very hard instrument to play and even harder to play well. Thai woodwinds are also hard to play. Maybe you need an educated ear to appreciate both. :D

I do like bagpipes on the odd (all beit rare) occassion. Seen where they were played going into battle and used to scare the crappe out of the enemy. Fierce fighters from what I've read.

Being Scottish. When i hear the bagpipes(played well) i get shivers up my back. It reminds me of home. Going to see the National team years ago and you got one or more pipers playing. What a way to stir up the crowd. I suppose if your not from Scotland. You will never get passionate about hearing THe Flower Of Scotland played. Gets me right in the heart. Makes me emotional.

It was true. When the pipes were played inbattle and you got some crazy men running at you with a big claymore end the kilt on. You'd be scared also.