Cashing A Check Drawn On Us Dollars At Thai Bank

I've done it 3 or 4 times over the last several months at Bangkok Bank (I've had an account with them for over 20 years though). Fair amount of paperwork involved with it, though the cashier handled it all. The biggest problem is it takes about 3 weeks for it to clear. For checks I receive that are in small amounts, I just send them to my bank in the US and use my Debit Card to access them due to a couple of hundred baht service charge at the Thai bank.

Just out of interest,I was going to cash some cheques recently at the Bank of Bangkok,drawn on Australian accounts and they wanted 1,160 ($40.00 Aus) Bht to process each cheque.

Forget it,just send to your home country bank registered mail for 1/10th of what they want here for the same service.

Siam Commercial Bank generally wants $10 (Thai baht equivalent) for a $US check. It will be processed at the international exchange booth, and then deposited into the account once it clears. They will tell you 45 days, but it clears in about 21 days.

If a check is sent to me from the US, drawn in US dollars and issued by a US bank is there any way to cash it here?

I realize I could go to some banks and ask, but i thought someone out there might have some inside info on where best to go.

If you mean can you walk in a bank here with a check and your id and walk out with cash like "back home ", then no,,probably it could be deposited into YOUR thai bank account ,however il bet its 3-4 weeks before its cleared,.