Hoping To Move

wannabethere

I am hoping to move to Chiang Mai within the next 2 years with my husband. We will both have retired by then but I am keen to do some voluntary work a few days a week . I am a registered nurse and have worked with women and children for the past 20 years . Is there opportunies for me to volunteer?

We will have a disposable income of about £1000 per month and are also wondering whether it is wise to buy a property or rent one, Any ideas and advice welcomed.

Thanks

Rent until you are confident you want to stay and are familiar with the way things are done here.

Plenty of opportunities to volunteer. however, most organisations are located along the border with Burma and take care of refugees and street kids. Volunteering requires a work permit but many volunteer without. Possible, but unlikely, you would have a problem. Alternatively, teach English to one of the poorer schools in the city.

We will have a disposable income of about £1000 per month and are also wondering whether it is wise to buy a property or rent one, Any ideas and advice welcomed.

Thanks

Rent, talk to people who live here - perhaps frequent the expat bars and restaurants for info/advice.

If you decide to stay then consider buying but like all decisions here that are not fueled by beer / lust take it slowly - there is after all no rush so slowly slowly catch a monkey (not sure about the relevance of monkeys)

You likely won't have any problem with volunteering here. And you can do it without a work permit in most cases. In my 23 years of living here, I have never heard of anyone having a problem with the authorities for working a volunteer job without a permit..

As to buying property, my suggestion is to forget it. You can't buy poperty here unless it is in a Thai name. I don't know of ANY Thai I would regard as suitable for my millions of Thai baht, so that is why I don't suggest buying. Renting gives you a feeling that you can live anywhere, without the major hassle of selling your used house in a market where new houses are what most people are looking for...

Good Luck :o

You likely won't have any problem with volunteering here. And you can do it without a work permit in most cases. In my 23 years of living here, I have never heard of anyone having a problem with the authorities for working a volunteer job without a permit..

As to buying property, my suggestion is to forget it. You can't buy poperty here unless it is in a Thai name. I don't know of ANY Thai I would regard as suitable for my millions of Thai baht, so that is why I don't suggest buying. Renting gives you a feeling that you can live anywhere, without the major hassle of selling your used house in a market where new houses are what most people are looking for...

Ajarn,

Did you construct that beautiful swimming pool of yours on someone elses property? Do you have an ultra long term lease or something?

Edited by lannarebirth

Ajarn,

Did you construct that beautiful swimming pool of yours on someone elses property? Do you have an ultra long term lease or something?

Nope, it was built on trust. Been living here for 9 years, figured it was worth it. It was... :D